Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Sound Hound Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Cool--love the Elgins--gonna see them Friday in Oceanside. Amazing they can sound just like old records when playing live--I'm into lo-fi, but don't know how they do it--especially the vocals!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretshop View Post
Check out the pickup cover dimensions on this photo of the '59 ES-345 Stereo harness I made. If you purchase a mid to late 60's 335-345-355 and the covers have the same rounded corners and the very slight flare in the middle of the cover sides as these authentic PAFs, you'll have the good pickups. The nickel silver covers couldn't hold the gold plating as well as the brass covers, but the nickel silvers were somewhat better, tone wise.

Now that looks very familiar! This early April '59 345 I purchased from the original owner in Alabama was unplayable electrically and had slept in it's case for many years due to a signal short caused by dry rot of the original, cloth insulation. I really enjoy playing it out now, especially with the nice sweet PAFs and 'natural' OOP tone in the middle position due to the requested stereo to mono jumper added to the output jack. The Varitone also offers many options when desired.

After several unsuccessful attempts to have the wiring repaired in the Bay Area, I'm glad the guitar found you in NJ and I owe the WCB thread for that. You did a superb job George, money well spent. This is a very cool guitar to play now, thanks again my friend!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Just in case anyone should happen to be in Minneapolis on Sunday March 18.

And for those in California, he's selling his bike.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find the music in your soul.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM

man i'd be there with bells on if i could. hey scwalbe say hey to hunter for me, an old friend. friggin' awesome bike too, damn....
Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete kanaras View Post
man i'd be there with bells on if i could. hey scwalbe say hey to hunter for me, an old friend. friggin' awesome bike too, damn....
You know Tom? Wow! Great player!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find the music in your soul.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM

oh hell yes, from way back when he lived in new york 20 years ago. i did many a gig with tom. great guy. sheeeit i used to make blues piano cassettes for him, chock full of all the best stuff. then i'd go to his house and he'd be shedding scott joplin rags and i'd give him shit about it! oh man good times. and Do tell him that, i guarantee he'll laugh his ass off!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBW View Post
For anyone who's into real old school style Chicago Blues performed by today's artists, Mark Mumea and the Elgins are doing some cool live tunes now on KUCI-FM in Cali, links available to listen online here.
Thanks for posting these guy's. Man I love that s***
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaxKing View Post
I think Nick's best tone was on Lonesome Whistle Blues (Doctor Velvet). Any guitar will do it. Any non master volume valve amp too though best avoid small amps (particularly live) to get the headroom required. 6L6 minimum imho.

Switch between front and rear pickup for a fender and middle position for a gibson. Roll lots of tone off if single coils. Use heavy strings (11s min), pick hard at the bridge, use a stiff fat pick and learn to swing. That's it really.

I saw and spoke to Nick Curran during that tour and he stated in the studio he used a Fender pro junior. At the gig he was playing a Vibro king.

He was using a lot of p-90 guitars and or p13's at the time.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM

yep he sure was, i saw him with that vibro king many times. last time i caught him he had a marshall head and i think a 4-12 cab. he did'nt have that pink kramer though, that thing has a killer middle pickup tone
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Hi guys--- Been yet again a LONG time since I have been posting---

Had to let some of you guys who may have known and/or played with him, that an excellent proponent of this music we all really love has passed away Monday---

His name is Rick Welter. and he was a good friend of mine and a great comrade in the blues--- the real deal cool stuff this thread's always about.

I will tyry to figure out how to post a link to his bio--- he played and recorded with Musselwhite, was in the Dynatones, and graced my city, Portland Oregon with his soulful singing and killer guitar playing--- we were always talkin' gear, and trash.... I will miss him.

If any of you remember him, please post your experiences!

Regards----
AC Porter
Larrivee OM3-R, Steve Patience FatBoy Amps: 3 Vics (Regal, Deluxe, 4-10" Pro) 2 Fenders (SR, DR, BF all) Harmony 2-12" '415', and Premier Reverb--Good deals w/ nowgibson, mach1, thinsocks, pat1929, sheedbg, and others over the years!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 AM

On a lighter note--- I have a 66' 335---- my absolute #1 guitar---also because of Fats--- and I went the full deal, and turned the pickups around so that the pickup screws are FACING each other--- just like Fats--- it's a good tip, guys...

AC
Larrivee OM3-R, Steve Patience FatBoy Amps: 3 Vics (Regal, Deluxe, 4-10" Pro) 2 Fenders (SR, DR, BF all) Harmony 2-12" '415', and Premier Reverb--Good deals w/ nowgibson, mach1, thinsocks, pat1929, sheedbg, and others over the years!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 AM

I heard Rick Welter a couple of times with RJ and John Nemeth. I loved Rick's playing, he had his own unique thing. Understated, deep, original. I gravitate toward the weird-ass players, so I talked with him some, and he was a nice guy to boot. I tried to catch him on my many trips to Portland, but that will never happen now. Damn.

BTW, I was in Portland a couple of months ago and missed one of your Halibut gigs by a day or so. I woulda been there!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 AM

That Musselwhite & the Dynatones live recording (Live at the Belly Up?) was a real favourite of mine, really enjoyed Rick Welter's playing on it, very sorry to hear he has passed.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Sorry for your loss, AC, and for our loss too.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappafrank View Post
Hi guys--- Been yet again a LONG time since I have been posting---

Had to let some of you guys who may have known and/or played with him, that an excellent proponent of this music we all really love has passed away Monday---

His name is Rick Welter. and he was a good friend of mine and a great comrade in the blues--- the real deal cool stuff this thread's always about.

I will tyry to figure out how to post a link to his bio--- he played and recorded with Musselwhite, was in the Dynatones, and graced my city, Portland Oregon with his soulful singing and killer guitar playing--- we were always talkin' gear, and trash.... I will miss him.

If any of you remember him, please post your experiences!

Regards----
AC Porter
Sorry for your loss, AC...
Closed Thread