Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Acoustic Instruments

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzydave View Post
I'll see your Leeb and raise you a Jon Gomm...

He is an amazing player. I love his use of the banjo tuners... I just wish he could do the same thing with heavier strings...

And it is another Lowden that has been beaten to hell
Lowden S10P
and more boxes than an acoustic guitarist should ever have
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

There is now a limited run with Sequoia redwood top, Ancient Cuban Mahogany back & sides. I'd love to hear one! Should stack up to old growth Brazillain rosewood, maybe better.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Musician...
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
that looks to be a reasonable price and the guitar is in very good condition for that age of a cedar top with no pickguard. I'd go check it out if I were you. I like the cedar/mahogany O's a lot... and add 20 years to it and I'd expect a really nice sounding guitar. I also like the simple wooden rosette from that period. I've seen some O22's or O10's for a little lower prices without cutaways but it wasn't enough of a difference to make this price unattractive.

If you buy it, I'd add a tortoise pickguard like the one on my S10P to cover the scratches and help keep you from wearing through the top. I'm sure that is what the person who installed that pickguard on my guitar was thinking as there are some serious scratches around the pickguard and around the soundhole.

As for the frets... they wear out so if there is still some life in them after 20 years, that is a good thing. I replaced the frets on my O25C at about 10 years with stainless steel frets and am thrilled with them. When my S needs frets, I'll do the same.
Interesting! I'll keep that in mind. I've considered steel frets as well...haven't had the opportunity to play a guitar with them yet.

Now that I'm looking, I'm finding a few Lowdens slipping through the cracks for decent prices. I'll have some cash freed up next week if anyone's looking to let theirs go...

I'll post a WTB ad in the Emporium this weekend...
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 AM

I played a couple Lowdens at Rudy's in NYC last summer and instantly bonded with it and loved it. I just couldn't bond with the $4800 price at the time though and sadly had to leave it behind...
Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Musician...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddaman71 View Post
I played a couple Lowdens at Rudy's in NYC last summer and instantly bonded with it and loved it. I just couldn't bond with the $4800 price at the time though and sadly had to leave it behind...
Agreed! Again, I realize they're hand built...but I do wonder if some of that cost has to deal with them being imported from Ireland.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM

In this case, you get what you pay for. Find the right Lowden, and you will never let it go.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 AM

I think there are a number of issues affecting the prices of Lowdens. One may be the exchange rate. A second may be that Lowden does not use any CNC machines and human labor costs more in the long run. Third, we hve gotten accustomed to the prices of factory produced guitars like Martins & Taylors who clearly have lowered our expectation of price and raised the quality/price ratio for modern guitars. Fourth, and this is an interesting one... when I saw George at NAMM last January he remarked that the largest percentage of orders are for their custom guitars - 35's, 50's - and signature models. A smaller percentage of their production is the "Standard" line which are their lowest priced instruments so you're less likely to see an O25 or F22 than you are an O50, an F35, or a Pierre Bensusan at a shop.

Clearly the "standard" line are not inexpensive guitars, with cutaways going north of $4K... but the 35's and 50's often push that price up by another $2K or more for more exotic woods and fancy details. I think that is pressuring all of the prices upwards.

Finally, I'm not sure how Lowden prices compare to other small shop guitars - Collings, SCGC, Huss & Dalton, etc. A quick look around the web puts the Lowdens a little higher than those three, but still roughly the same or less than McPhersons...
Lowden S10P
Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
In this case, you get what you pay for. Find the right Lowden, and you will never let it go.
In my case, I got about 10 times what I paid for.
And I'll never let it go.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Musician...

So...I punished myself this morning and went back to Guitar Rez here in Austin and played that O-32c...been playing several guitars around town for the last few weeks as I anticipate my upcoming freed up cash and that one is still, by far, the best sounding guitar I've had my hands on. It's all I can do to hand it back to them!

But alas, even though that one has a minor "finish flaw" and is discounted, it's still a ways away from my max spending ceiling...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzydave View Post
So...I punished myself this morning and went back to Guitar Rez here in Austin and played that O-32c...been playing several guitars around town for the last few weeks as I anticipate my upcoming freed up cash and that one is still, by far, the best sounding guitar I've had my hands on. It's all I can do to hand it back to them!

But alas, even though that one has a minor "finish flaw" and is discounted, it's still a ways away from my max spending ceiling...
I hope you're either able to work this one out somehow... or find another one for a lower price that is equally inspiring
Lowden S10P
Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM

you should try recording yourself singing while playing the guitar to see how that part fits. Lowdens could step all over the vocals....
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Musician...

Quote:
I hope you're either able to work this one out somehow... or find another one for a lower price that is equally inspiring
Thanks royd, I hope so, too! I found an O-32 that had it's headstock repaired by Lowden a few years back. The price is obviously much less than other used models I've found so we'll see what the seller has to say about it...eagerly awaiting that email!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Musician...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulohio View Post
you should try recording yourself singing while playing the guitar to see how that part fits. Lowdens could step all over the vocals....
That's a great point and definitely one I've considered. I may have already mentioned this...but I also played a Taylor 816ce that I was impressed with. It was quite different than the Lowden obviously, and I've been into Martins (or at least Martinesque guitars) for awhile now, but it had this nice open sound and retained some depth.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

I've never found the Lowden difficult to sing with...

here are three videos of me performing...

first with my daughter about 13 years ago on the L25C that was stolen

and here's me last Christmas on the S10P. The preamp I was using was set with a bit more treble than I would have liked and my playing was a bit sloppy but it still gives a sense of the Lowden with a voice.

and one with the O25C, sitting in with Jill Knight and Bobby Santa Cruz.

I do think it is tricky to use a Lowden in a dense mix as there is so much going on with the guitar, it can get muddy.
Lowden S10P
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Musician...

Quote:
I've never found the Lowden difficult to sing with...

here are three videos of me performing...

first with my daughter about 13 years ago on the L25C that was stolen

and here's me last Christmas on the S10P. The preamp I was using was set with a bit more treble than I would have liked and my playing was a bit sloppy but it still gives a sense of the Lowden with a voice.

and one with the O25C, sitting in with Jill Knight and Bobby Santa Cruz.

I do think it is tricky to use a Lowden in a dense mix as there is so much going on with the guitar, it can get muddy.
Thank you for sharing! I mostly perform solo acoustic...and I sang a bit with the O-32c today and it felt fine. I did think about how it would fit into a mix but that's something I'll deal with when it happens.

What I'm after is a guitar that will take this next album I'm about to record further. My old Gibson has ran it's course for now and I'm looking for that guitar to inspire new sounds. The music is written, now it's time to make it come alive.