Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

First off-Go to Harmony Central Amp forum and tell them how much your new Axe sounds like an amp. They will welcome you with open arms into the fold. :P

Last edited by zentman; 05-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentman View Post
First off-Go to Harmonay Central Amp forum and tell them how much your new Axe sounds like an amp. They will welcome you with open arms into the fold. :P

bHz
Firmware v.10 though, walks the walk. The MIMIC modeling paradigm is accuracy across all parts of the amp circuit; all the interaction. Every control and parasitic and nonlinear 'thing' that happens is what it strives to deliver.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Ignore everything but initial 'How to move around in the interface' to start out with.

Go through the presets, but be sure to eliminate ALL the FX in there. Just play with AMP and CAB to get a feel of how to change your sound. I suggest only playing with 1 or 2 amps to start out with. It can get overwhelming, and like real amps, the controls do different things (i.e power amp based vs preamp based.)

Then blank out a preset, and do it yourself. Doink around until you learn enough.

And use the manual for spot checking (i.e. what 'Input Taper' is, etc.) You'll do better poking around the WIKI and seeing what others have put out there to help you out. This is like learning a whole new world for you, so take it slow and don't get discouraged.

Good luck, and it is well worth the initial learning curve pain!

Ron
Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubileeMan 2555 View Post
...btw, thats one of my personal goals. I know right away the AXE-FX can and will do that liquid Marshall Gain tones without skipping a beat, but I'm going to make it a personal goal to attempt to make the unit copy/mimic my SRVish tones I've chased for so many years (As a hobby). I'm very skeptical that the unit will come through as good as I will want, since I'm picky, but I'll post clips and such when the time comes...
Once you develop some facility with the unit you may find you have better luck than you've had with tube amps since you'll have far more control over the end result.

Let us know how it works out.
Guitars: Strat, 335, LP Jr. Special+ Amps: Sig:X, '65 Super Reverb, '66 Deluxe Reverb, Prosonic Combo, Axe FX II/Atomic CLR Pedals: Zendrive, BB Preamp, Ethos, Megalith Delta
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron View Post
bHz
Ah, the HCAF mating call. ( was just yankin the guy's chain)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentman View Post
First off-Go to Harmony Central Amp forum and tell them how much your new Axe sounds like an amp. They will welcome you with open arms into the fold. :P
The one thread I read seemed pretty civilized with the usual variety of comments.

One comment about the Axe FX did stand out however:

Quote:
All I hear is DSP.

There's no real dynamics to speak of - so much processing going on that it just becomes a bland wash of sound.
I wish I could hear DSP...that guy must have a hell of a pair of ears on him.
Guitars: Strat, 335, LP Jr. Special+ Amps: Sig:X, '65 Super Reverb, '66 Deluxe Reverb, Prosonic Combo, Axe FX II/Atomic CLR Pedals: Zendrive, BB Preamp, Ethos, Megalith Delta
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM

^ They are generally a nice group of guys and gals. Lots of talent too. Good place to learn about various tube amps. Not the place to go to catch up on high tech though.

Last edited by zentman; 05-01-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubileeMan 2555 View Post
...btw, thats one of my personal goals. I know right away the AXE-FX can and will do that liquid Marshall Gain tones without skipping a beat, but I'm going to make it a personal goal to attempt to make the unit copy/mimic my SRVish tones I've chased for so many years (As a hobby). I'm very skeptical that the unit will come through as good as I will want, since I'm picky, but I'll post clips and such when the time comes...

That's exactly what I'm wanting to hear.