Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

need advice on new amp

Current rig;

Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MKI 100w
Avatar 2x12 cab w/ Vintage 30's (closed back)
Les Paul / PRS SE
DD-20 | mxr stereo chorus | mxr boost line driver

The main problem I have with the H&K is that it's just too aggressive, even with the gain backed off. The other downside of the H&K is that it's really really heavy, like 75+ lbs.

So I'm looking for something with a more wide open sound. Something that will still rock, but not so aggressive on the attack. Something that would ideally have an FX loop and wouldn't require an overdrive pedal. I've also thought about getting (or converting my existing cab into) an open-back cab. That might lessen the punch a little bit. Anyway, let me know what you think!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm not playing metal these days, I'm a Vox guy but I recently built an Engl rig and I'm blown away at the versatility and tones...

My Engl rig can bring on ridiculous amounts of gain saturation, however it does pristine clean very well too, and everything in between. I had planned to use pedals with it, but it sounds so righteous as is that I haven't bothered about pedals (dirt, compression are not needed).

Have a look at Engl IMO. They have a wide range of options...MF carries them too.

edit: I have a Nova System and Glass Nexus that I considered putting in the loop, but no real interest as this rig sounds great with the guitar direct into the amp. (the same way I use my Vox amps, though I also use a small board with a tuner, compressor and AB switch on occasion)

Rickenbacker & Vox & TC Electronics
...& an assortment of various and sundry kit
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I just picked up a used Soldano HR 50 and it covers your description. You can find them used at reasonable prices. Even though they run 6L6 type power tubes, you will not get Fender black face cleans. The cleans are more like a Fender tweed or Marshall plexi. There is always a little saturation. When plugged into the high gain input, you can get some fairly serious gain by running the preamp volume high and lowering the master volume. Very versatile single channel amp imo.
2009 PRS PF-09 Sunburst SC 245/PRS 57/08, 2012 PRS Santana Signature/Throbak SLE-101 MXV, 2007 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul 1956 Reissue, RS Guitarworks pots, Singlecoil Bumblebee Workalike caps, Two-Rock Studio Pro 50, Jenkins Sound Shop 2x12/Eminence EJ1250