Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > Recording/Live Sound

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by natejens View Post
So basically I am planning on running the 57 > tube preamp >eq> effects unit> mixer.
My thoughts were that I could use the eq to well eq out any distortion.
My main questions are
-Chain order, specifically where the pre amp should go
-What channel I should hook into the mixer, since the tube pre amp is powering then do I need the preamps from my mixer in which case should I just plug into an "insert" (unpowered channel)
-I understand this mic does not need phantom power and that it won't affect it
Thanks
I think your chain is too messy. Microphones aren't like guitars, they don't take well with 20 things behind them. the signal chain should go:

MIC -> PRE -> MIXER (line in!)

Be sure you're connecting your preamp with a TRS cable into the LINE IN jack of the mixer!! Never stack preamps. If you use an XLR cable from the preamp to the XLR jack of the mixer, you're using two preamps (the pre on the mixer is in the XLR jack circuit). Turning the pre-amp down on a mixer doesn't kill the preamp itself. It's buffered and will sound nasty.

Regarding your EQ, don't you have EQ post production? Most audio sequencers (cubase, sonar, ableton) come with OEM EQ tweakers.

In recording, it's best to capture THE REAL sound, in all its glory. then, once it's captured, go ahead and tweak it... because that's un-doable. But if you EQ it as it comes in, you can't un-do that.

Same goes with the effects unit. But honestly, there is a way to use your effects unit with your mixer in post production. Ever heard of an "insert" jack? Insert jacks require a full-TRS cable (just one!) that is connected to a TRS-capable INPUT jack of your effects unit, into the INSERT jack of the mixer.

Then, you can route the sound of the mixer back and forth through that one cable.

If all this seems sort of fuzzy, perhaps you should check out the manual of your mixer. It probably has a lot of features on it that you never knew existed, things that can make your job as an engineer easier, rather than harder.
Fender NOS Tweed Blues Junior
Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I should have mentioned that this is for live application right now hence why I was some more detailed eq'ing abilities. I'm familiar with insert and such (stacking pres...). The main thing I was trying to get info on was the signal chain and you explained that quite well. I'll pick up the manual to our mixer at the next rehersal and do some homework. Thanks again.