Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers Tech Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm confused...Ohm and cab options for an Ampeg VT-22

Hi there.

I have an Ampeg VT-22 with two 8 ohm Vintage 30's in it. Right now the amp is set to 4 ohms, and I believe the speakers are wired in series.

I'm curious what difference I'd get with an 8 ohm setting, and if the speakers were wired in parallel what sort of sound difference it would make? I guess I go for a heavier tone, what would the best option be for what I have?

I'm pretty new to speaker ohms and such, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Smooth deals: Boog204, Blue Apple, Magic Twanger, ManFromMars, codyj84, tweedcab, Rick Towne, martinsmith06, fatcontroller,
spofftastic, jackevorkian, brettmoor, betteriz1day, Spencer Smith, Jacobie23000
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Silver Supporting Member

if the amp is set to 4 ohms then the speakers are probably wired in parallel and 4 ohms is the correct load.

with 2 8ohm speakers you've only got two choices, parallel (hot wire running to both speaker + terminals, ground wires running to both - terminals) 4 ohms, and series (the hot wire running to one speaker's + terminal, a wire running from that speaker's - terminal to the other speaker's + terminal and the amp's ground wire running to the second speaker's - terminal) 16 ohms.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Supporting Member

...and since there is no 16 ohm tap on the OT, you pretty much have one option - wire the speakers in parallel as WaltC described and use the 4 ohm selection. I wouldn't mess around with mismatching the speaker impedance to the OT with that amp. You could always try different (darker) speakers for a change. Also, there is a helluva lot of tweaking you can do to the tone and sensitivity settings to try to darken it up.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Thanks folks, it's making a bit more sense to me. Just a bit haha.

What would be my options with hooking a 2x12 cab to it? Could I do another cab with two 8 ohm speakers wired parallel? Or is the load then split 4 ways?

Thanks again!

Smooth deals: Boog204, Blue Apple, Magic Twanger, ManFromMars, codyj84, tweedcab, Rick Towne, martinsmith06, fatcontroller,
spofftastic, jackevorkian, brettmoor, betteriz1day, Spencer Smith, Jacobie23000
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamthemute View Post
What would be my options with hooking a 2x12 cab to it? Could I do another cab with two 8 ohm speakers wired parallel? Or is the load then split 4 ways?

Thanks again!
If you use a 2-12 ext cab w/8-ohm speakers wired in parallel along with the two v30s wired parallel, then you would have a 2 ohm combined load. You also have the option of wiring each pair in series, and when using them together you would have an 8 ohm combined load.