Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Acoustic Instruments

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Owens View Post
...and that's one of their major selling points. They're incredibly consistent. On the other hand, that's what hurts them as well in a way. There are very few "magical" ones like you find with the other companies. Then again, some people think they're just about all magical!
Yeah, we get a lot of guys in our store that think Taylor is the holy grail of guitars. They're very nice guitars, but I don't think that about them. They are great recording and live guitars. I've got 2 Taylor's, love them both. I've got a 714, because of the Cedar top and Rosewood B/S I think it has the least "Taylor Sound". I don't care for bright guitars. But some of their BTO guitars I've played have some Magic if you ever get to play those

As per TGP Rule #8: I work for a Guitar store, Randees Music.
And I am friends with many in this industry.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I have an '04 414ce with a K&K Trinity system in it. I love the ovangkol because of it's incredible tonal balance. Nice, present bass response with just enough snap and top end shimmer.

The neck is probably the thing that most attracted me to Taylor guitars in the first place. They're so comfortable, and my hands feel at home on it now.

Also, the 300 and 400 series guitars are absolutely killer for the price range, especially if you buy used.

Gear: '08 Fender American Tele w/ Lollars> Keeley 2-knob Comp> JHS Sweet Tea V.1> Keeley Katana> Demeter Tremulator> EB VP Jr.> Boss DD-5> Strymon Timeline> Stulce Amps SA-10C
Old 11-09-2011, 04:00 AM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedalFreak View Post
Yeah, we get a lot of guys in our store that think Taylor is the holy grail of guitars. They're very nice guitars, but I don't think that about them. They are great recording and live guitars. I've got 2 Taylor's, love them both. I've got a 714, because of the Cedar top and Rosewood B/S I think it has the least "Taylor Sound". I don't care for bright guitars. But some of their BTO guitars I've played have some Magic if you ever get to play those
Here is a link to actually 2 threads started by me about a BTO Taylor that I bought. Some of you may have seen this thread, so I apologize in advance for the repeat, and some of you may not, so here it is: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=977808
PRS electrics and bass, Taylor Cocobolo BTO GS, K26e Koa & 412CE-N FLTD acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub II R, Cub III R, Carr Sportsman, Fender SS 22, Humboldt Blues Junior,Vintage Sound Vintage 20, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Mini and Mark Bass amps

In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I've had my 310 for 12 yrs and it's what I use to write on, great tone, great neck. Wonderful instrument that I've never had to adjust.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Musician...
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Been thinking about finally getting a Taylor...thought I'd bump this back up for some more opinions...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Silver Supporting Member

My 410CE is a work horse. Plus the top has beautiful bear claw in the grain that always gets compliments. Despite having two Martins, the Taylor is always in my line up. I've played newer ones and they can't hold a candle to my 2002 model.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Musician...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDude View Post
My 410CE is a work horse. Plus the top has beautiful bear claw in the grain that always gets compliments. Despite having two Martins, the Taylor is always in my line up. I've played newer ones and they can't hold a candle to my 2002 model.
I know it's going to happen, but we really can't compare Taylors to Martins and Gibsons. In many ways, that's why I'm attracted to them right now. As Bob Taylor has said many times, Taylors are progressive and aren't tied to the "vintage" scene like the other brands. They can branch out without being accused of altering rock and roll history so to speak.

If you want the traditional, classic, old school tones then those other builders are where it's at (along with the plethora of incredible "small" luthiers out there now)...but I've been shifting my mindset and wanting to be more progressive with my own sound and playing. As my current album is gaining more speed and the anticipation of my next album is building...I'm ready to step out of my comfort zone a bit and I think a Taylor might just do that for me.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzydave View Post
I know it's going to happen, but we really can't compare Taylors to Martins and Gibsons. In many ways, that's why I'm attracted to them right now. As Bob Taylor has said many times, Taylors are progressive and aren't tied to the "vintage" scene like the other brands. They can branch out without being accused of altering rock and roll history so to speak.

If you want the traditional, classic, old school tones then those other builders are where it's at (along with the plethora of incredible "small" luthiers out there now)...but I've been shifting my mindset and wanting to be more progressive with my own sound and playing. As my current album is gaining more speed and the anticipation of my next album is building...I'm ready to step out of my comfort zone a bit and I think a Taylor might just do that for me.

I love my Taylor guitar. Hope to post some photos sometime soon.
PRS electrics and bass, Taylor Cocobolo BTO GS, K26e Koa & 412CE-N FLTD acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub II R, Cub III R, Carr Sportsman, Fender SS 22, Humboldt Blues Junior,Vintage Sound Vintage 20, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Mini and Mark Bass amps

In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM

Dave, I was looking around for a new acoustic and lucked into a nine year old Taylor Big Baby, it actually sounds good, but why I really like it is the feel of the neck, very playable.

One plus about the screw on neck for me, I'm use to setting up Telecasters, so a neck set on the BBT will be a piece of cake.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 PM

my taylor guitars sound the closet to a 7foot grand piano than anyother guitars that i have played or "auditioned '
Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Musician...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19181911 View Post
Dave, I was looking around for a new acoustic and lucked into a nine year old Taylor Big Baby, it actually sounds good, but why I really like it is the feel of the neck, very playable.

One plus about the screw on neck for me, I'm use to setting up Telecasters, so a neck set on the BBT will be a piece of cake.
Have you played a GS mini? Those are little cannons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram21 View Post
my taylor guitars sound the closet to a 7foot grand piano than anyother guitars that i have played or "auditioned '
What model(s) do you have?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78deluxe View Post
Own a 1999 814ce.

This is pre-NT neck and Pre-ES pickup.

I run it into a Fishman Aura Preamp (made with the same kind of pickup and an 814ce).

I love Taylors for their playability. The tone is good to if you find a nice one.

I've never had a better amplified tone than with the above setup.

I have an 814ce that I bought in 1997. The original pickup in that guitar had the classic piezo quack. I tried 3 or 4 different pickups in it before settling on an under saddle k+k pickup that sounds incredible. I love the fact that there are no
Volume/EQ knobs and that little "barn door" on the side. I really like this guitar because it plays like buttuh. When I bought it I was ready to buy a Martin and spent a few hours at Mandolin Bros. playing all the new and used ones they had. The new ones were all stiff and unforgiving and I didn't find a used one to my liking.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Put a sock...or several in the sound hole of a Taylor and you will get a Gibson. Seriously, I have played over 50 different Gibsons in the past and never understood why some people like it. it's poorly crafted and muddy sound. But hey what ever floats your boat.
Funny,I feel the exact opposite. Taylors seemed to have slipped in quality. I love Gibsons and while I do agree there are some duds,when you do find a good one it's much more satisfying than a Taylor. I went thru my Taylor period and glad to be out the other side but they are just right for some folks. Whatever helps you make good music, the brands vary but we all have to find the ones that work for us.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM

I like them for a few reasons. To my ears they are really bright sounding guitars and I like that sound. Brighter than my Gibson, Guild or Yamaha.

They have great customer support. Something I really don't think much about since I like working on my own guitars but... About six years ago I had a issue with the neck on one of my Taylor's. I couldn't quite figure out the problem so I had a certified Taylor tech check it out. Well he gave Taylor a call, they wanted to take a look at it themselves. He sent the guitar out to them and within one week I had a spanking brand new replacement guitar... zero charge. Maybe it was a one off thing for them but they made good on it and that's all that matters.

I'm a lefty and Bob Taylor is big on supporting the southpaws. You can get practically every model in LH at know extra $$$. I think they have/run a great business.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM

I'm not a big Taylor fan. I've owned three: a GC3, a GC8, and a GA8. Of the three, the GC3 was my favorite. I've had the same reaction to Taylors as one or two others - they're nice, but they don't have that spark that thrills. Conversely, a lower-end Martin I recently bought in GC - a fairly plain Jane OMC4PA with non-wood fretboard and bridge - simply "has it". Three months after buying it, the acoustic sound still delights me. It's supposed to be a stage guitar and it has the pickup to prove it, but I've hardly ever bothered plugging it in. It's the acoustic sound that does it for me. This inclines me to agree with someone else on this thread who said that with Martin and Gibson you may find a gem at different price points. So far, I haven't found that gem with Taylor. The last one I had, a GA8, looked like a million bucks with its tobacco burst and cool appointments, yet soundwise it didn't sound nearly as good as the OMC4PA. My other Martin, a 12-fret 000-18GE is also a gorgeous-sounding guitar.

Another thing about Taylors that is often said is that they're very "bright" guitars, and I was initially drawn to them because I wanted this tone colour. However, even on that front the ones I've played have not had anything like the sparkle my Gibson CJ-165R used to have.

Maybe I'm just not a Taylor guy, or maybe I've yet to play one that has that special something in the tone that we all look for. I certainly wouldn't buy one unseen again, though; what I've received so far have been models that I couldn't fault but couldn't love.