Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

VOX JamVox III

The new version no. 3 of JamVox is available now. Did anyone try that out? I don't expect it to be on the same level as GuitarRig or Amplitube just because of the prize tag but maybe I'm wrong. It seems to be a nice All-In-One Software for practising, the exr-feature seems nice on paper at least and it can be used as a VST plugin now.

I own a POD HD500 but it is collecting dust. I'm an exclusive bedroom player and the main feature I'm missing here is the possbility to simply reamp or change sound settings on my recordings within the DAW.

I did try out Line 6 Podfarm Software but it has not been updated for a long time and I prefer the sounds I was getting out of the GuitarRig demo. The sounds I'm getting out of my POD HD500 are better than any software I tried but I'm really missing the possibility to change sounds or adapt them in the DAW.

So I will likely sell my POD HD500 and I'm looking for a software/VST solution. I took the decision to buy GuitarRig when I came across an announcement of this JamVox Software. Does anybody know how it compares to for ex. GuitarRig soundwise?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 AM

I just checked it out on youtube and it seems really cool.
It seems that it's only $49.99 right now so it's hard to lose on that one.
I wish they had a demo version so you could try it for a few days.
I'm generally dubious about VSTs that don't allow a trial as if they suck your'e out the money. But fifty bucks? hard to resist. for THAT level of functionality.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall View Post
I wish they had a demo version so you could try it for a few days.
They do have a trial version. I tried it but was not impressed.

Last edited by deanesque; 05-02-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM

I already have the original JamVox, looks like I get a free upgrade? I don't have a DAW so I won't be able to answer the OP's questions. I do like the JV for learning/practicing songs for my cover band though.

Owner-www.rowycokustoms.com
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I own GR5 and have tried the demo of JamVox III. I don't think JamVox is in the same league at all. YMMV
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM

I just downloaded the Demo and I wasn't impressed at first but then I stumbled onto the modified AC-30 as I noodled with the demo song. I stopped the song and lowered the gain on the amp sim a bit and turned off the OD pedal. It sounded excellent with my Les Paul. THAT is a good amp model. It sounds like a good Marshall tone to me.
So far I haven't liked the other amps in it as much as this one.
All in All since they're selling it for fifty bucks right now it is a no brainer as a practice tool what with all the drum patterns and the like.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Supporting Member

I own 3 JamVox units and my Axe-II gets most of my attention for obvious reasons, but the JamVox is a great tool.

Now with the latest 3.0 JamVox update it just makes it the #1 practice tool available period!
The user interface is amazing now on my iMac and it is 100% bug free!

Slowdown tunes with no warble or loss in clarity, tuner, metronome, drum tracks, set auto patch changes anywhere in songs you want, lots of amp models & effects(sounds more than good enough to learn songs & jam for fun) , loop sections, pitch change, reduce or eliminate guitar parts from songs, import songs, record etc....

Every guitarist should own this great all in one tool!! Total bargain
Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stike View Post
I already have the original JamVox, looks like I get a free upgrade? I don't have a DAW so I won't be able to answer the OP's questions. I do like the JV for learning/practicing songs for my cover band though.
Pretty sure it's free. I have a Jamvox and I think I'll go d/l it now.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Just installed it and right off the bat I'm a bit disappointed. It forces you to load a song before going into the main program. Then when you are in there you can close it. But it doesn't appear that you can record your guitar until you import and existing song.

Used to be that I could record anytime. Just throw on a drum beat and start recording. Even with the drums playing the record button is disabled.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowdale View Post
I own 3 JamVox units and my Axe-II gets most of my attention for obvious reasons, but the JamVox is a great tool.

Now with the latest 3.0 JamVox update it just makes it the #1 practice tool available period!
The user interface is amazing now on my iMac and it is 100% bug free!

Slowdown tunes with no warble or loss in clarity, tuner, metronome, drum tracks, set auto patch changes anywhere in songs you want, lots of amp models & effects(sounds more than good enough to learn songs & jam for fun) , loop sections, pitch change, reduce or eliminate guitar parts from songs, import songs, record etc....

Every guitarist should own this great all in one tool!! Total bargain
One of my students got this and swears by it. I will be giving it a whirl ...looks like a good deal for half off.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Just installed it and right off the bat I'm a bit disappointed. It forces you to load a song before going into the main program. Then when you are in there you can close it. But it doesn't appear that you can record your guitar until you import and existing song.

Used to be that I could record anytime. Just throw on a drum beat and start recording. Even with the drums playing the record button is disabled.
I updated to III and it crashes everytime I try and load a song, I'm pissed.

Owner-www.rowycokustoms.com
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM

The interface is nonsensical. It forces you to load a song to record to a song. It's like the chicken and the egg. How can you have a song before you record a song?

When companies create a new version the first thing they should do is make sure that they don't remove existing features. When you create software your customers might actually be using the features in it. No way to piss your customers easier than to make a newer version that can't do what the older one did.

If you want good software for looping, tempo and pitch shifting, then Amazing Slowdowner is the best. Prior to Jamvox III I thought Jamvox was a decent tool for the price ($70). The amp models and FX are nothing more than adequate, but the interface with it's recorder gave it enough value to make it a good deal. With the latest version, I'm not so sure I can recommend it. If you can still find the hardware for $70, then I give it a 2 thumbs up.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
The interface is nonsensical. It forces you to load a song to record to a song. It's like the chicken and the egg. How can you have a song before you record a song?
You just load a blank file and then you don't have to be recording on top of a backing track. Takes less than 20 seconds.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowdale View Post
You just load a blank file and then you don't have to be recording on top of a backing track. Takes less than 20 seconds.
I made a 2 sec blank file and that does seem to overcome the issue. You can select loop from the menu so it doesn't stop, start the drums, hit record, and then play over it as long as you want.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:38 AM

is the Jamvox 3 software compatible with the RP355?