Banned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Allen Amps

I'm liking what i'm hearing

brown sugar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7iuOtCIGU

the Encore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcB0QlzHwTo

They sound like some good hand built point to point amplifiers. I've always liked the sound of an old Fender amp and their build quality back then speaks for themselfs. Ebay is full of them and going for big bucks. I remember a time not so long ago.(smiles) I think i'll go check out their website

http://www.allenamps.com/
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

That Brown Sugar has been on my short list for a while. I don't know if I'll ever get to it since my short list is getting kinda long. What with all the cool tweed clones and even some vintage Fenders available in this market what's a guy to do? I really like what I saw in another guys sig....the soul is willing but the wallet is weak.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Supporting Member

I will be purchasing a chihuahua soon!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I found a kit built Encore head several years ago. At this point, it's getting more play than several other equally worthy amps. It's the sound, and the versatility. This one had a few small problems to work through. Turns out the speaker ohm switch was miswired all along. Also, my amp tech added a cap to the reverb recovery circuit. That plus no more speaker mismatch has made a real improvement. The amp had tended towards too bassy and lower headroom. I'd considered swapping the stock OT for a larger one, decided not to. The overdrive on this amp is beautiful, too good to mess with.

The RAW switch is the secret sauce. Just a little bit changes the deal, especially useful with single coils. I hardly ever used the MV until recently, now realizing what a little roll-off there can do. Both push the amp towards the tweed side as needed.

Wonderful amp. Definitely VR inspired, that's certainly obvious. But with it's own thing too. The trem is expecially tasty.
MD
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Great amps and service. Every electric song on our cd I used a classic 10.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Supporting Member

I loved the Old Flame - tone and features. After owning several real deal 1965 Fenders, the OF is my "blackface" amp, loved everything about it.

I had a Brown Sugar too that was pretty cool.
Good Deals with: John H, buckwild, markguitar, Spirithunter, spaceman_spiff, goodommen, Tone Meister, DCAddy, shanetram, bigupdeis, Alton, skydog slide, imonabuss, traviswalk and many, many more since 99.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I've been through a slew of vintage Fenders, a number of boutiques and even a couple of custom builds. My Brown Sugar makes me happy every time I plug it in and is a versatile, extremely well built gig monster. I put a 40watt output transformer on the amp and it spans tweedish to brown to blackface territory, runs 6v6, 6l6 or EL 34 power tubes without re-biasing, and with a 12" neo weighs about the same as a DR. It takes pedals quite well and is a blues monster plugged straight in. Top it off with David offering stellar customer service and it's a no brainer for me.