Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Guitars in General

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmonkey View Post
A lot of these players just play pretty stock models. Doing a signature model just because a guy changed the knobs or had it refinshed or something isn't really worth it. These aren't supposed to be awards, they're supposed to offer a new instrument with specs not offered by other models in the line....

All that said, I'd buy a Joe Bonamassa Firepaul in a second.
I've seen pics of the opposite - a reverse Firebird with a LPC headstock. Was that associated with anyone famous?
I am amazed at how much crap you got in answer to a simple question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr777 View Post
I bow down before our new lizard mime overlords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
People think a lot of things. Some of them are even true.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Hey Fender! We want a Jimmy Page Dragoncaster!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly Gator View Post

YES.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM

um...hell yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly Gator View Post

Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboMansonMB-1 View Post
The Johnny Marr Jag has got me all excited about Sig guitars again, so I've been thinking about who else I wish would get one...here are my ideas:

1. I'd love Fender to come out with a John Frusciante signature Strat. Maybe a limited run of Custom Shops, 50 each in two-tone Sunburst and Fiesta Red, and then a more affordable USA model, maybe $1699, available in both finishes AND in relic'd and non-relic'd versions.

2. I think The Edge deserves a Sig, but I don't know whether it should be his Les Paul Custom, his Explorer, or his black Strat. If I had my choice, it'd be all three!

But the Frusciante one is what I'd really, realistically, love to see happen.

Listen up, Fender!
I asked Mike Eldred about a Frusciante Strat several months ago. He said that the Custom Shop approached John about making a signature Strat and that he declined.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzer View Post
I asked Mike Eldred about a Frusciante Strat several months ago. He said that the Custom Shop approached John about making a signature Strat and that he declined.
Yeah, I just got the same from him. Honestly I couldn't see John being interested in anything like that, but it was worth a shot...just need to find a really cool Fiesta Red Strat.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I just got the same from him. Honestly I couldn't see John being interested in anything like that, but it was worth a shot...just need to find a really cool Fiesta Red Strat.
My personal favorite Strat of his is his beat to crap Olympic White '61. So sexy.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

The Otis Rush signature Epiphone Riviera
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
That would be a Les Paul Recording model with a flat top and low impedance pickups and a bigsby and all those switches and stuff.

No one would actually buy that one.

Oops, my college roommate had a LP Recording, no Bigsby. A Bigsby would not have affected his choice.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyrebel View Post
How about a George Thorogood ES125TDC?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post

Righty, turned around. Yup.

(maybe it'll get me his vibrato!)

-db
Amps: Yes
Effects: Sometimes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
Righty, turned around. Yup.
(maybe it'll get me his vibrato!)

OK, I'll bite:

-db
Amps: Yes
Effects: Sometimes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM

Wink A few questions, I have..............

Quote:
The Johnny Marr Jag has got me all excited about Sig guitars again, so I've been thinking about who else I wish would get one...here are my ideas:

1. I'd love Fender to come out with a John Frusciante signature Strat. Maybe a limited run of Custom Shops, 50 each in two-tone Sunburst and Fiesta Red, and then a more affordable USA model, maybe $1699, available in both finishes AND in relic'd and non-relic'd versions.

2. I think The Edge deserves a Sig, but I don't know whether it should be his Les Paul Custom, his Explorer, or his black Strat. If I had my choice, it'd be all three!

But the Frusciante one is what I'd really, realistically, love to see happen.

Listen up, Fender!
----------I really don't think that it would be successful If they had gave Frusciante a signature model, at least not without SERIOUS and THOUGHTFUL design questions. First off, I am not a fan of Mr. Frusciante, but I don't DISLIKE him either. I am not commenting about his talent, merely pointing out the guitar buying business we are living in currently, without BIAS. Okay, disclaimer given, so let us begin..............

There are several problems that Fender would have in selling a signature strat for Mr. Frusciante, some small than others, and some major league headaches to deal with. First of all, Fender is a CORPORATION looking to sell guitars, and is always looking for signature endorsers who will SELL GUITARS, and the goal is to NOT just fill the stores with guitars that will sit there. The Peppers are a band that has had great success, but with many guitarists at the helm. John has been one of many, and even Peppers fans fight over who was a better fit for the band(and some have pointed out that John was part of the "pop hit/hit packaged" era of the band, and they greatly prefer the eras when the Chili Peppers and top-40 radio had NOTHING TO DO with one another). Will ALL the Peppers fans out there who love Hillel(forgive me if I mis-spell his name), or the fans of any of the OTHER Peppers guitarists rush out to buy the guitar of the guy that ISN'T THEIR FAVORITE(or the guy that they don't like?).

Second, while Mr Frusciante is popular, will that transfer into his fans being willing to spend BIG BUCKS for his signature model? A Fusciante Relic in a run of 50 will easily start over 3 thousand dollars, and can run well OVER four thousand, even with basic specs. Will Mr Frusciante's fans be willing to step up to the PLATE and spend big?? Again, doubtful. I think what a lot of Peppers fans are hoping that Fender actually DOES create this signature model, then someone ELSE buys it new and takes the hit, and THEN(hopefully?)sells the guitar so they can buy it cheap(under a grand). There are those who will swear up and down about how Chili fans will cpme up with the money, but will they really?

Third, you mention all the different models that they could do for Frusciante fans, with the custom shops, and possible lower-price USA model. Getting away from cost for a moment, let's think about this for a second................The VAST MAJORITY of Frusciante fans will want their guitars to look LIKE HIS, and will have little interest in a brand-new model that does NOT the appearance of John's without the aged and played, worn condition. It is fairly obvious that the "new" signature model of John would have to be a relic, or a aged custom shop to be successful, and will Frusciante fans be WILLING to spend the bucks(remember paragraph number two we just covered). A cheaper USA model without the wear and actual appearance of John "REAL" model will not garner much interest, and since we all remember Fender the corporation operates to MAKE MONEY, I have a hard time believing they want this model out there.

Finally, If we ARE going to have John's model out there, one question................WHICH ONE WILL IT BE??? The OP mentioned Fiesta Red or Sunburst(guitars in both colors was mentioned by the OP), but what happens If people like the White strat with all the wear he uses better? He played that guitar thru arguably his most popular period with the band, so why would Fender want or need a Frusciante in several colors, since it is debatable IF they would sell? Fender wants the color that will be the biggest hit(and cheapest to produce!), and which one that should be will cause a whole lot of discussing and frayed nerves among his fans. I suspect MANY, MANY FANS of John would much prefer the Gretsch White Falcon he's playing, and remember, a divide fan base means less guitars being BOUGHT, and less Fender profit out there.....................The REAL Rocker.

Last edited by The REAL Rocker; 05-08-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmonkey View Post
Really, unless the artist has ideas that result in a truly unique instrument - or, I'll grant you, has a unique visual scheme or iconic instrument like the Joe Strummer tele or the Alvin Lee 335 - making 1000 models of essentially a stock guitar with $10 worth of hardware swaps or a racing stripe is pretty weak.
Yep.

I think it's also interesting that the guitar that started the whole "signature" trend in the mainstream -- the Clapton Strat -- may have looked like Blackie, but it had the mid-boost, which Clapton had only been using for a short time after deciding to retire Blackie. So the Clapton Strat was a signature model in that it was modelled after what he planned to use, not what he'd been using since 1970 or so.
Well, youíre always trying to get that extra thing to put you over the top so you feel good, right? Instead of gear, Iíve found out that a cool pair of shoes works just as good. -- Jimmie Vaughan, 2010
Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 PM

I would like a Snowy White reliced LP.

http://www.snowywhite.com/?location=...ographs/Guitar

More gear than I can shake a stick at