Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Sound Hound Lounge

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKIE C View Post
On the flip side, it sure would be nice if some musicians wouldn't worry about superficial crap and just concentrate on their given talent.

Obviously folks like John5 and others (Lady Gaga, for instance) want us to judge them by their superficial crap, wouldn't you say?

I think he's a great player, I'm not into the bands/artists he's associated himself with, though.
John does what he needs to do to get gigs . . . look at who he has played for, Manson, Zombie . . . those acts are image conscious (as are the majority of successful acts). I don't care if a guitarist wears makeup, a top hat, a KFC bucket, a ton of tats, or long hair to his ass. It's show business.

As a player, the guy represents what I look for in a guitarist . . . tremendous technical ability but also tremendous feel, emotion and melody.

I also agree with the sentiment that what he does on a tele shows what a versatile instrument it can be in the right hands.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKIE C View Post
On the flip side, it sure would be nice if some musicians wouldn't worry about superficial crap and just concentrate on their given talent.

Obviously folks like John5 and others (Lady Gaga, for instance) want us to judge them by their superficial crap, wouldn't you say?

I think he's a great player, I'm not into the bands/artists he's associated himself with, though.
I think they would want us to like the whole package. Add Kiss, Bowie, King Diamond, Plasmatics, early Genesis, Elton John, GWAR, etc, etc. to the list of acts that go for theatrics.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

John's a great guy and helluva player.
Many moons ago I taught guitar in the Detroit area. He came in for a couple lessons and
even at his age then, must've been in his teens, he was smokin'! I was at a loss for what to show him.
He's in show biz so his persona now doesn't bother me. I run into him at NAMM or guitar shows and he's still the same John I knew from Michigan.

Per the rules:
I have affiliations with BMF Effects, Tungsten Amps, Apache Amps
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Great player and an authority on everything telecaster......what's not to like?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Solely on the basis of his CD...I was underwhelmed. Nothing personal at all. I'm sure he's a swell kid and he does have good taste in guitars.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Supporting Member

Heck of a guitarist.