Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Sound Hound Lounge

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Upright Male Organ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopplayer View Post
. I ate delicious french food while he played organ with one hand and trumpet with the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidmore View Post
ummmm...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 PM

I'd go out more if the shows started on time. I'm busy and on my feet a lot. I don't want to pay money to stand around for an hour or more past the advertised time. I recently walked out on a famous guitar players show for this reason and was the last straw for me.

Now, I only go out if I can get in for free. It's not my scene to hang out so live shows and the structure of drinking and waiting one or two hours for the opening act to start is of no use to me because drinking and driving is not on my list of things to do nor is sipping water or cola and switching back and forth from one leg to the other.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubberjub View Post
Wow. TGP is full of grumpy old men with no soul today. Quit watching TV, get off your ass, and go support live music. Just because you weren't good enough to "make it" yourself (I'm not either) doesn't mean that you need to be bitter to the people who are out there doing their thing. I'm a married guy in my 30s, with a full time job, a mortgage, I play 2-3 gigs per week, and I still manage to go out and see other bands at least once a week. Yeah, drinks can be expensive. Have one. Have none. You don't need to drink heavily every time you go out. You're there to see the band, right? Yes, bands tend to play late. Don't stay for the whole night if you can't. Go see the first set and go home if you must. Nothing says that you need to stay until the end. Unlike the BS you're forced to listen to on commercial radio, the local music scene is dictated by what people like (or pay) to listen to. Gosh, people. Have you really forgotten what life was like before it was controlled by the television schedule? Life doesn't need to be mundane. Now quit whining, dust off one of your three Gustovsson Bluesmasters, grab your Dumble and Trainwreck (because you'll need them both), and go out to an open mic or blues jam. Try to regain some feeling in your boring, lifeless corpse. Geez.
I have to say that rocked LOL! I agree
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I get approached quite often by other artists who want to know how to get on the radio and have their music licensed for TV/film. I always tell them, once people outside your friends and family start coming to your shows, then you're on to something.
Maybe it's just my mood or the coldness of the written word but really.. to me that sounds very pompous. I look at it as my duty and pleasure to help out younger artists just like I was helped when I was coming on and people took the time and patience to help me. The last couple of years I've seemed to notice a reluctance with some people to share, what they believe to be, "secrets" or information with younger players. I don't get that at all.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzeboy View Post
The last couple of years I've seemed to notice a reluctance with some people to share, what they believe to be, "secrets" or information with younger players. I don't get that at all.
In my own case, it's the shitty attitude I've experienced from almost all of the younger bands I've shared bills with recently that keeps me from sharing any information with younger players.

I get that I'm older, and our band is generally older than theirs, but they treat us like we're carrying the plague or something, so **** 'em. Let them figure it out on their own.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM

I need someone to go with me. I don't care to stand around by myself between bands.

I need someone to stay with my younger child.

I need an evening where I'm not exhausted and don't have responsibilities.

I need a little money in my pocket.

If I have those things, I'll go see most any band that doesn't suck.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Supporting Member

Good music (original or cover)
Good beer selection (decent food a plus as well)
Earlier start time (7-8pm)
Absolutely NO SMOKING!!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Maybe it's just my mood or the coldness of the written word but really.. to me that sounds very pompous. I look at it as my duty and pleasure to help out younger artists just like I was helped when I was coming on and people took the time and patience to help me. The last couple of years I've seemed to notice a reluctance with some people to share, what they believe to be, "secrets" or information with younger players. I don't get that at all.
I think all Dave was saying is that if folks other than your friends & family are into your music, then you're on to something. Seemed pretty cut & dry to me.

Lots of music and other photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgunsher/sets/
Good Deals
Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Silver Supporting Member

Simple start playing at 7:30 or 8:00.

The only reason I don't see bands in my town is because I want to be home by 10:00 or before and most bands have not even started. There are many, many others like me.

It obviously makes no financial sense to cater to adults over 35, or bars and bands would be doing it already.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornie View Post
Nothing. I really don't like seeing live music. I remember touring years ago playing a huge gig and thinking to myself how awful it must be to be stuck in that crowd. Not a fan of crowds, don't drink, and much prefer listening to music in the comfort of my own home. This goes for huge acts and smaller ones.

It really ain't so bad. Have a drink and join the unwashed masses.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I don't recall the older generation helping me out when I was coming up--everyone had their "black book" of phone numbers and names and were none-too-eager to share. Personally, I'm happy to answer questions, provide booking contacts, suggestions for suitable venues, etc. to anyone who asks, but my experience has been the few that I have helped have said "Thanks!" and then never contacted me again once they have the "goodies".
"I find it a little boring when music is all about emitting emotion. Itís fine and dandy to stand on your tip-toes and sing like itís your last night on Earth, but sometimes when I hear contemporary music I wish it was written with a deeper understanding of progressions."--Jim Campilongo
Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM

7:30-11. Id go see more bands. Im more of a happy hour kinda guy.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Supporting Member

What is this 'Venue' that you speak of?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 PM

i can't watch. after 30 seconds, i want to play. if i'm not playing, i'm staying home.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmconner80 View Post
If it was 1999 and I was 23 again. That is about it. Since we can't undo all the cultural change (iPhone / XBox / Neftlix / 1000 channels on cable / Facebooks / musical stagnation and irrelevance of the rock and folk tradition / hegemonic rise of the me me ME sentiment) and de-age / de-child / de-job me, I'm only making it out to clubs a few times a year. Sorry.
HAHA! Same for me... well, I guess the AK-47 comment would get me off the couch in a hurry as well.
I guess @ ~42 I'm in a very weird stage. I barely remember being the guy in the band onstage, humping it, trying to get people into the bar or club and wondering why people could not just commit to seeing a great live show.
Now I'm on the other side of the fence with a very young family, tons of commitments, NO time for my own endevours in music let alone skipping out to go see someone else perform.
Maybe in 5-10 years I'll be out and about again (if live music still exists).
GTR: Gibson R4 Black Beauty, Pierro TelePaul

Last edited by Gasp100; 05-09-2012 at 12:50 PM.