Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > Recording/Live Sound

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Zoom h4n vs h2n

Hello,
I'm looking for a small portable, handy, easy unit to record myself playing around. Practicing and for some uploads to sound cloud\you tube kind of stuff.
Nothing fancy or professional I guess..
I donít want to start buying audio cards, mic's, editing programs and other stuff,, just some nice and great recording device,

I am thinking the obvious about those two in title.
I can get them locally in a fairly good price though the H4n will cost me one and half the price of the h2nÖbut, I always say that buying the best is the best way to not flip it over.

Any thoughts?
I will appreciate some experience from some folks that got ether of them and have some inputs on the matter.

Thanks a lot and excused my poor English.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Sonically these two are very similar.

The H4n has features like multi-tracking and overdubbing as well as the ability to support two external condenser mics.

The H2n is strictly a linear recorder. It can capture up to four tracks, but it records all of them at the same time.

Fran
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Sonically these two are very similar.

The H4n has features like multi-tracking and overdubbing as well as the ability to support two external condenser mics.

The H2n is strictly a linear recorder. It can capture up to four tracks, but it records all of them at the same time.

Fran
thanks fran.
all of this are said in their brochures.
i was looking for a first hand experience from a guitar players that record some stuff at home and may be gigging or rehearsals with them.. and have some inputs on the subject .

thanks again for your reply!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdparis View Post
thanks fran.
all of this are said in their brochures.
i was looking for a first hand experience from a guitar players that record some stuff at home and may be gigging or rehearsals with them.. and have some inputs on the subject .

thanks again for your reply!
Then you might visit my Homebrewed Music blog where I have posted evaluations of both units, compared them to conventional PC connected interfaces and preamps and to other portable recorders. I also have demos of the use of the H2n with video, and my slack key videos on YouTube include information on how the audio was recorded. Many of them use the H2 or H2n or PCM-D50 to either mic the audio or capture a board feed.

Or perhaps I could mention that I often find the audio I capture on these portable recorders benefits from a bit of EQ, dynamics processing, spatial manipulation, and level management in post production.

It's not clear from your post if you're interested in acoustic or amplified sources. The difference is quite important because perhaps the biggest weakness in the Zoom recorder line is the issue of capturing loud sources without distortion.

Fran
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-18-2012, 05:42 PM

If this helps, here's a recording of my band playing at a local cafe a few weeks ago, captured with an H4n on a mic stand about 20 feet in front of the PA. I'm still learning about how best to use this recorder, but this is what it can do just plunked down in a live situation, using just the internal mics. I didn't do any processing on this (mostly because I haven't learned enough about what to do)! This is my third go at recording in this space, and this is the best I've gotten so far--I've been trying different mic placements. I wish the room hadn't been so overly reverberant. Next step is to try adding a feed from the mixer, using the 4 channel mode and seeing what I can do with trying to combine the board signal and the room sound into a single stereo mix.

http://snd.sc/NcJDgb

Oh, and certainly check out Fran's site. You can learn a lot there!

Louis
Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 AM

Ohh!!! Now you are talking guys!!
This is a great info for me! Thanks a lot!!!

Fran – cool cool site, I will be traveling in it soon to read all of your posts there.
Regarding your inquiry about what ill want to do with the recorder – I'm trying to catch my playing ether with a classic guitar and amplified!
I am a bit strange guitar player due to the fact I'm playing a very vast repertoires.
From classical music (Paganini, bach etc) to heavy metal (opeth, dream theater etc) and everything in between I guess (blues, rock, jazz) – so I guess I would like to have the ability to capture every style on every guitar\equipments that I've got.

My concern is simple I guess:
The choice between the H2N or the H4N.
I can buy ether one of them budget wise, but im thinking if I need more then the H2N?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 AM

Ok fran. I just came back from reading some posts in your blog (BTW – its an awesome one!!!) and with your permission I will quote you some.. for further debate J

This one are truly spoken to me. Because you are exactly, who I want to talk to, about those devices.
"I’m guilty at times of seeing the whole recording world in terms of solo acoustic guitar, I’m afraid"

I guess this conclusion worry me a bit, nor my expectations are so high, nor I need them to be for my part.

"How is the H4n as a solo acoustic guitar recording tool? I’d say about 95%. The tonal balance of the recordings are fine, the dynamics are good. I’m quite happy with how the guitar sounds with either the external mic or the built-ins. I’m a little bit disappointed by the noise performance, though. A bit closer placement, a little noise reduction software in post, it’s a problem that can be solved, but I was hoping for world class performance from this little unit and I’m afraid it’s not quite at that level"
So after all that:
Which one would you pick for recording your acoustics, if you need to choose one(!) to buy at the first place (now you got experience with both)
The H2N or the H4N?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM

As I said in my initial post, the audio performance is quite similar. Only you can decide which feature set meets your needs because the audio result will be too close to call. Your budget, your projects, your path of future development. No one but you can trade off those details. I can tell you that I own an H2n and do not own an H4n, but I have many other recording options so I don't rely on the Zoom for multi-tracking or using external mics.

Since you are interested in recording heavy metal, though, I would suggest that you look at the similar Tascam recorders alongside the Zoom units, because various users have posted on the Zoom forum that they switched to Tascam for recording loud sources and had better success.

Perhaps you could take your questions to the Zoom forum: Zoom Gear & Home Recording Forum • View forum - Zoom H4 & H2

Fran
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
If this helps, here's a recording of my band playing at a local cafe a few weeks ago, captured with an H4n on a mic stand about 20 feet in front of the PA. I'm still learning about how best to use this recorder, but this is what it can do just plunked down in a live situation, using just the internal mics. I didn't do any processing on this (mostly because I haven't learned enough about what to do)! This is my third go at recording in this space, and this is the best I've gotten so far--I've been trying different mic placements. I wish the room hadn't been so overly reverberant. Next step is to try adding a feed from the mixer, using the 4 channel mode and seeing what I can do with trying to combine the board signal and the room sound into a single stereo mix.

http://snd.sc/NcJDgb

Oh, and certainly check out Fran's site. You can learn a lot there!

Louis
The ability to mix room and board sound is a great use of the H4n, but you'll need some way to control the output of the board. The "line in" connections on the H4n are really instrument level, so they're rather more sensitive than a real line in connection. You'll need either output level control on the board (like a headphone output rather than tape out) or some kind of pad between the mixer and the H4n. I use a cheap passive attenuator Electronics Plus - Hard to find parts and accessories, available and ready to ship! and a couple of adapters to get from the board to my H2/H2n recorders.

Fran
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The ability to mix room and board sound is a great use of the H4n, but you'll need some way to control the output of the board. The "line in" connections on the H4n are really instrument level, so they're rather more sensitive than a real line in connection. You'll need either output level control on the board (like a headphone output rather than tape out) or some kind of pad between the mixer and the H4n. I use a cheap passive attenuator Electronics Plus - Hard to find parts and accessories, available and ready to ship! and a couple of adapters to get from the board to my H2/H2n recorders.

Fran
Thanks for the tip on that, Fran! I have to figure out the best way to go from my board. I was thinking that the headphone out using a 1/4" Y cord (TRS to two mono 1/4" plugs) into the two external mic inputs might be the simplest thing. I've gotten some very good results dubbing vinyl records that way (from the headphone out on my stereo receiver right into the mic inputs on the H4n). I was suprised at how well that worked, and I figure it's more or less the same thing. The only puzzle is the distance. I'd be sending the two unbalanced signals about 20 feet or more out to the recorder. I just don't know if that's going to pickup a lot of noise. I guess we'll see!

Louis
Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 PM

hi guys.
so i ended up getting the H4N... i figured that its better then the 2 and if i don't have any, and with some adding fund i could get the latest.
anyway, i was trying to do a test drive yesterday for it, recording myself playing some classical number.

http://soundcloud.com/byrdparis/paganini2

I'm not so satisfied with my playing though, but it was largely for the appreciation of the zoom.

A.