Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Guitars in General

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I know one thing, the daisy rocks are a hit. When I first saw them I though it was dumb. I was wrong. Supposed to be a great guitar for the money.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM

They're surprisingly good. I played one in a local shop years ago thinking about it for my daughter. Should've grabbed it-for $150 used, it was a really nice playing and sounding electric.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM

I've played a few at BanjoHut and was impressed. I think the quality is fine for the price and that the idea of a line of guitars with a emphasis on slim necks and light weight in order to make them more playable is a great idea. I agree that by the time your daughters out of her preteen and teen years she will probably want something with a more normal aesthetic. What's not to like?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM

I'm the original poster.

In the end, my daughter bought a used black Squier Ministrat from her cousin (the daughter of the aforementioned brother-in-law) for $50.

It didn't play in tune when using standard tuning. But I followed some advice on the internet and tuned it up 5 steps (E string tuned to A, A string tuned to D, etc.). Now it plays perfectly in tune. Another suggestion was to use standard tuning but with heavier strings like elevens. I haven't tried that yet.

She was really into playing it when I was giving her lessons. But when I didn't have time to teach her, she seemed to lose interest quickly. In contrast, when I was a kid, I was much more self-motivated. I taught myself from some books and played all the time. I guess I was just into it way more than she was.

These days she is in a performance group at her dance studio. She has dance classes for several hours on Monday through Thursday. She also does clogging and Irish dance at some other studios. So she no longer has time for music. She quit violin lessons at school and pretty much never touches her guitar.