Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Guitars in General

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorzJohnson View Post
I would buy that thing, strip off the top and put a Zakk Wylde bullseye on there.
If you did, Zakk Wylde would probably come to your house and kick your ass.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Supporting Member

He is probably paying ebay over $1K for his reserve! I tried to reserve price something for $1900 and they were charging $19!

If I bought this, I would be buying a vintage bigsby and righting that wrong faster than you can say "Bigsby's don't stay in tune!". Bigsby's on Les Pauls are a requirement in this household!

You know a guitar that has been played this much has to sound fantastic!
More Barn! http://harpersferry.bandcamp.com/ Guitars (all have rs kits and various other mods): Les Paul Classic Premium Plus, Esquire Partscaster, 50s Classic Vibe Tele, Strat Partscaster -Hendrix Blackie style, Sg Standard, Martin HD-28,94 Larrivee L-10, Fessenden SD-10 Pedal Steel Amps: 1957 Gibson GA-20T, 1964 Bandmaster, 18w

Last edited by Rockinrob86; 04-25-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoplexi View Post
I'll take it!

but i'm going to go with a "dimeslime" finish asap
Don't forget the "monkey grip"
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 AM

What if the original owner was a total hack who couldn't play in tune if his life depended on it? Would those many years of "non-harmonic vibrations" coursing thru the grain of that wood tend to put undue "stress" on it - possibly altering its sound in a very negative way???

IOW, it's entirely possible that that LP sounds like hammered sh#t...

"I don't need no bath!!!" "What me'n Tector needs is some 'o them women you been hoggin'..." "You think you can fix that up for us, boy???"
- Lyle Gorch.

http://gearfab.swiftsite.com/Catalog...talog_260.html
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Hmmm... might have been rewired, doesn't have the "59 wiring" on the tone control (of course it is a '58, shouldn't this have it as well?)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 AM

I would take this over that mint 59 in the other thread. Just sayin'.
I guess they played Les Paul Customs with brass/zinc hardware and DMZ Super Distortion through an cascade gain amp turnd up to 11 or 12, with the switch in bridge position all guitar controls on 10, never touching either switch or pots. While calling the Strat more versatile guitar.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Three chords, no waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob86 View Post
He is probably paying ebay over $1K for his reserve! I tried to reserve price something for $1900 and they were charging $19!
Nah, there is a maximum of $50 on auctions. http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html
1981 Fender USA Stratocaster - 1993 Gibson ES335 - 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard - 2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic - 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 2007 Rickenbacker 4003 - Taylor acoustic - Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C - Mesa TA-30 Combo - Keeley Ibanez TS9 - Mooer Green Mile - MXR Distortion+ - MXR '78 Badass Distortion - MXR Micro Chorus - Mooer Reecho - TC Ditto - TC Polytune
Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm622 View Post
What if the original owner was a total hack who couldn't play in tune if his life depended on it? Would those many years of "non-harmonic vibrations" coursing thru the grain of that wood tend to put undue "stress" on it - possibly altering its sound in a very negative way???

IOW, it's entirely possible that that LP sounds like hammered sh#t...

Absolutely, thats always been a silly idea to me, "if its clean, it probably sounds bad...if its beat, it must sound great".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB View Post
Hmmm... might have been rewired, doesn't have the "59 wiring" on the tone control (of course it is a '58, shouldn't this have it as well?)
The vintage as opposed to modern wiring thing has been blown out of proportion. Both types of wiring were used in the '50's.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
strat-sattva
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

the bigsby holes let the extra tone in. Seriously cool looking guitar though.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:16 AM

If I had that sort of $$$, I'd be all over that guitar.
Great top, and it has tons of character.

Yup - I'd be all over that.

"This is a song I've been told we used to play back in the day but...honestly...I don't recall..." Joe Perry, before launching into Sight For Sore Eyes...solo tour 2009
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderkalin View Post
I would take this over that mint 59 in the other thread. Just sayin'.
Now that I think about it, me too.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27sauce View Post
Absolutely, thats always been a silly idea to me, "if its clean, it probably sounds bad...if its beat, it must sound great".
Vintage guitars that are dead mint clean haven't been played. That's not the rule but I'd say it's more the case. So ask yourself, why wasn't it played? Most likely because it wasn't good.

Ever play one of those ultra cleanies? Not every good. Ever play a worn vintage guitar? Most times (not all) GREAT!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post
Vintage guitars that are dead mint clean haven't been played. That's not the rule but I'd say it's more the case. So ask yourself, why wasn't it played? Most likely because it wasn't good.

Ever play one of those ultra cleanies? Not every good. Ever play a worn vintage guitar? Most times (not all) GREAT!
Oh I get why people say it, but that idea assumes that every guitar has been given equal opportunity to be played, which is in no way true. I've played enough good and bad vintage guitars to know that there is no "likely" or "in most cases". Every guitar is different, that goes for super clean ones, and beat to shit ones.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post

Not to be disagreeable, BUT - Keep in mind that the "Vintage" guitar market has been around for several decades now - so, it's long been common public knowledge as to their "worth" in the marketplace... Thank guys like George Gruhn for that...

Moreover, the reality is that the vast majority of the pre-1961 Les Pauls in really good condition have been "culled-out" many years ago, and those particular LP's have taken up residence in the hands of people who well knew their value years ago, and who have guarded the condition of their investments down thru the years - probably more so than even the original owner did...
Consequently, those particular "investment grade" guitars have remained in the same GOOD CONDITION that they were in when the vintage market became a reality those several decades ago...

The point here is this: If you do come across a pre-1961 LP for sale that is ragged-out a bit, that guitar has been ragged-out FOR DECADES now - well before it's present value as a "vintage instrument" was known...
And - the logical fact is this: It is presently in it's ragged-out condition because it was not taken care of in the first place - and not because somebody played the sh#t out of it because it sounded so much better than its contemporaries did...

"I don't need no bath!!!" "What me'n Tector needs is some 'o them women you been hoggin'..." "You think you can fix that up for us, boy???"
- Lyle Gorch.

http://gearfab.swiftsite.com/Catalog...talog_260.html
Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Supporting Member

BUT, with all things being equal, if you were to say Rob, here is a room of guitars. You have to pick one of them. You can't play it first. You are going to be recording and going on tour with (insert dream band here...) and the (dream band) has excellent security, pick now!

If I were looking at these two guitars, I would pick the beat one. Both the average gigging guitarist and the pro won't put up with a true dog for long. It takes sweat to eat into a finish like that, and a bedroom/couch warrior just isnt going to be able to do enough damage. A total hack wouldn't be able to gig for long. So if I'm looking at a mint guitar, I know right away that it hasn't been played much, or at least it hasnt seen the kind of playing that gets a guitar beat up (gigging). I don't know WHY it wasn't, only that it wasnt. Maybe a dentist bought it in 59, didnt know how to play it and an annoying guitar geek bought it from his dentist in 1972 and sold it for his house in 2005. Maybe it sucks. No way to tell.

The road dog beat up guitar says that someone played it enough to give it some love marks. I can tell it wasn't left in a barn or something (the wear marks are play marks, not abuse).

With no other facts to go on, I'm getting the ebay guitar!
More Barn! http://harpersferry.bandcamp.com/ Guitars (all have rs kits and various other mods): Les Paul Classic Premium Plus, Esquire Partscaster, 50s Classic Vibe Tele, Strat Partscaster -Hendrix Blackie style, Sg Standard, Martin HD-28,94 Larrivee L-10, Fessenden SD-10 Pedal Steel Amps: 1957 Gibson GA-20T, 1964 Bandmaster, 18w