Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
In what way are the switches better ? Different yes but.
Quote:
I think it is cosmetic , they are not any more robust.
They couldn't be any worse. Those switches hang up equally across all the M5/M9/HD300/400/500 products.

Seems like anything would be better. It's not that they break as much as its just a design flaw. I've heard of people having issues with them right out of the box.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
From the video of Andertons you can see him pushing effortlessly the switch, with the original FBV this take a lot more pressure to push. The original FBV switches are road graded and they do last.
Just going from what they look like... But they are being marketed as an upgrade - "pro grade". They could be more of soft-switch type thing like the Strymon switches. In reality, I'm sure they're not actually switches - they're actually actuators/plungers. But they do look to be a step up from the old switches.

Honestly, though, I've had my M13 for almost five years, and I've never had any issue with those switches. I do know there are sporadic complaints with them, though. So good on Line 6 for addressing it.

My profile at Line 6 Forums
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM
2-Voice Guitar Junkie

Quote:
But selling the old ones for nothing "is" pissing on your customers .
Where are they doing that? I see a handful of merchants blowing out their stock. My local store (I was just there) is just selling the HD 500s at regular price right now.

What are they supposed to do with that stuff? If they are giving their retailers incentives to move out the few HD 500s that are out there... bravo for them. Nice to do something nice for the guy who actually sells your product.

GC online seems to be out, Sweetwater is out. MF has knocked a hundred bucks off...

It's not pissing on your customers. It's only a handful of them. It's basically what you do to NOT piss on (or piss off) your retailers.
this tgp thread is the most tgp thread in the history of tgp threads.
Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric & Acoustic with Variax Check out my music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasrivera View Post
F
rom the video of Andertons you can see him pushing effortlessly the switch, with the original FBV this take a lot more pressure to push. The original FBV switches are road graded and they do last.
The ones on the hd have been used on the xt x3 and m so they are road tested , if you open it up the switches are both a bit suspect to say the least.

THere are many design flaws in the unit.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 AM
2-Voice Guitar Junkie

one drop of 3-in-1 oil on those footswitches on the HD 500 and M series and they are silent for a long long time (only ever had to do this once on either unit).

I know some have had issues, I never did. Owned 3 L6 products with those switches... no... four...
this tgp thread is the most tgp thread in the history of tgp threads.
Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric & Acoustic with Variax Check out my music!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
THere are many design flaws in the unit.
You're a design flaw...

OK, that's mean... But, seriously... You're too much.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 AM

I think "flaw" is a strong word. Perhaps we could say that there are some design decisions made in the first gen unit that may not have been optimal?

1. No power switch.
2. Power plug outer shield is exposed and subject to shorting.
3. USB too close to power input...easy to fry the unit. Has been done.
4. Input configuration makes it near impossible to achieve unity gain.
5. Effects loop difficult to achieve unit gain.
6. First gen unit is arguably underpowered in the DSP section.
7. Switches are of suspect quality. (yes, lower failure rate than X3, but still...the sight of them... )

Line6 appears to have addressed at least two of these "flaws" in the new unit. That's commendable. Would be great if some of the other ones had been too.
Affiliations: Line 6 Expert User
Old 07-11-2013, 11:58 AM

What is a logical simple explanation for omitting a power switch?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasrivera View Post
Non-stop ROCK !!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
It could be that there simply wasn't room on the chassis for a switch and rather than increase the size of the chassis and add cost, they simply decided not to add the switch. Or it could be that the switch was seen as another potential failure point. I have read more than few instances of people having the switches on older PODs fail.

The funny thing is there's a switch on the M13, but since I have the M13 mounted to my pedalboard, I never use it. I just always leave it on. The lack of a power switch never really bothered me on the HD500.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:09 PM

A little DIY and one of these will do the trick:

Anyone anticipating new HD Amps?
I think the HD500 can cover all the gain ranges from clean-crunch-drive-metal... and more.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Power switch isn't electronically necessary, just like a standby switch for valve amps isn't electronically necessary.

Not sure what you mean by the outer shield being exposed; my PSU wasn't like that.

Not exactly sure how the proximity of the USB input to the power input makes it any easier to fry the unit.

Definitely agree the FX loop is flawed. Using up two effects slots just to get basic 4cm is pretty poor.

DSP... well... I think we've covered that.

Finally, the switches. Yes... they are really crap and are prone to failure. My JVM's footswitch has the same plunger+actuator combo, and Santiago tried to convince me that they're more reliable than a simple SPST wired switch. I disagree of course.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_fx View Post
Power switch isn't electronically necessary, just like a standby switch for valve amps isn't electronically necessary.
No, but it's nice to have. Having to unplug and replug the unit when you need to do a reset or update is just goofy and can lead to user error by inserting the plug in either the L6 Link or USB jack by mistake. POW! It HAS happened.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the outer shield being exposed; my PSU wasn't like that.
The outer sleeve of the plug that goes into the unit sticks out about 1/4" from the plug in the unit. There was an incident where someone shorted something else out because it laid across the sleeve.

Quote:
Not exactly sure how the proximity of the USB input to the power input makes it any easier to fry the unit.
VERY easy to accidentally plug the PSU into the USB jack. Sparks fly. Your unit is now toast. It HAS happened. And if your eyesight is anything like my aging eyes afford, it's doubly easy.

Quote:
Definitely agree the FX loop is flawed. Using up two effects slots just to get basic 4cm is pretty poor.
Two? How so? My comment applies to getting the levels of the FX Loop correct.
Affiliations: Line 6 Expert User
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM

It would be nice to see some price drops on the "old" HD units now that this has been released.