Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > The Small Company Luthiers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey Ken,

Zion ever built an acoustic for kicks and giggles?
Great Recommendations:
Jim (Scumback Speakers) - Tonepros Dealer
Old 10-29-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTE
Hey Ken,

Zion ever built an acoustic for kicks and giggles?
Yep, we built a few, but it's like a baker serving steaks, another world entirely.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 AM

Here is a Zion Turbo Synth...this guitar dont die!!!
Great axe.

Adios

Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel!!!!

Old 11-24-2006, 07:54 AM

Myspace facelift

http://www.myspace.com/kenhoover
Old 11-26-2006, 08:49 PM

Hey Ken,

Years ago D'Addario was giving away a special Zion for anyone that turned in 10,000 player points (or something like that). You know of any orders for it were made? You know the specs? I would say this was about 10 years ago.
Great Recommendations:
Jim (Scumback Speakers) - Tonepros Dealer
Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 PM

Glad to see another one of our local builders getting props on TGP. I've never owned a Zion, but my cousin's son in Lenoir, NC is crazy about them and has owned three or four. He has a bunch of pics of himself with Ken and with Phil.

Given my love for Strat-style guitars, it's odd that I never tried one. Probably the same reason I didn't drive to Raleigh last month to play that Fuchs ODS 30 combo at IDS.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 AM

[quote=LTE]Hey Ken,

Years ago D'Addario was giving away a special Zion for anyone that turned in 10,000 player points (or something like that). You know of any orders for it were made? You know the specs? I would say this was about 10 years ago.

There was only one of these made and Daddario eventually exchanged it for an astronomical number of points. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital image of it. to put up. Maybe someone has an old back issue of a mag with the ad, they could scan & put up.

It was a standard Primera configuration with Duncan JB pickups. The unique thing was the space themed graphic. They were actual photos assembled and printed on a vinyl backing. That was adhered to the top & finished over. A great look, even if I say so myself.

Last edited by KENHOOVER; 12-01-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:49 AM

Hey Ken

I want to say you have built some awesome guitars! I picked up this powerglide about 3 years ago. I just had to have one after I saw and read about Bob Hartman's on his site. This is by far my favorite guitar amoungst a collection of high dollar customs! It not only plays and soulds great-it's looks say, "I can rock like no other". The clearcoat has yellowed over the years giving a shade to the metallic silver that is undescribable! It is very hard to capture this on camera.

I had this radicaster built by Dale in '02. I actually went to Raliegh and picked out the slab of wood I wanted for the body and neck. I ordered the custom inlays in the neck as well. Dale told me that only 4 other zions have this cusom inlay. I truely enjoy playing my zions. Ken I believe that you guitar building was a revolution to custom axes. Thanks for your hard work and awesome personality! What I like most about zion guitars is the name and what it means and the people who build them and thier customer service.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:40 PM

Hey Guitardude!! Love that new Zion with the SSH pup set-up!! I have a Zion Powerglide that I bought from Ken back in 1986! It's got an EMG SSH
arrangement with a Floyd. I love this guitar still, but the EMG sound is getting very mid-rangy to me. I'm thinking of installing a Duncan SSH set. Can you please tell me what Duncans are in yours? There is so much to choose from on their website. I really need guidance!!
Thanks!!
Rick
Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 AM
TooManyToys

Question about Radicaster Bridges

Hi everyone. Long time Zion fan here. I owned a Turbo back in the 80's modeled after Bob Hartman's guitar. I sold it and have regretted it ever since.

I'm considering getting a new Radicaster built up, and I'm not a big fan of floating vibrato bridges. I'd much rather have a trem that sits flush on the body. Does anyone know if Zion can set up a Wilkinson that way, or if they offer any non-floating tremolo options?

Thanks for any wisdom that can be shared!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfox View Post
Hey Guitardude!! Love that new Zion with the SSH pup set-up!! I have a Zion Powerglide that I bought from Ken back in 1986! It's got an EMG SSH
arrangement with a Floyd. I love this guitar still, but the EMG sound is getting very mid-rangy to me. I'm thinking of installing a Duncan SSH set. Can you please tell me what Duncans are in yours? There is so much to choose from on their website. I really need guidance!!
Thanks!!
Rick
That guitar was a beauty! I had to sell off some gear to fund my wife's education. She is scaling back her paid work hours so she can devote more time to her studies. Thankfully, that guitar went to another TGP member who LOVES that guitar. It has Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups in the neck/middle position and a JB in the bridge. You will find a lot of Zion guitars have the JB in the bridge (just like this white one seen here). The Alnico II Pro single coil pickups blend well with the JB. A lot depends on what type of sound you are looking to get - vintage strat, modern, or higher output rock & roll. I have had several guitars (3 Zions) that had the Alnico_II Pro pickups (I have had both flat and staggered - just depends on your preference) and have been very happy with an overall vintage strat sound. Check out the soundclips on the Duncan site for strat style guitars.

Best of luck to you, Rick!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENHOOVER
There was only one of these made and Daddario eventually exchanged it for an astronomical number of points. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital image of it. to put up. Maybe someone has an old back issue of a mag with the ad, they could scan & put up.

It was a standard Primera configuration with Duncan JB pickups. The unique thing was the space themed graphic. They were actual photos assembled and printed on a vinyl backing. That was adhered to the top & finished over. A great look, even if I say so myself.
Ken, I saw this picture on your myspace page. Over to the right just above Phil...
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 PM

Right you are guitardude! Thank youi!!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:09 PM

Ken

Can you tell me a little about the TLZ model? I've only seen one picture of one. How many were made?

Also, what model of guitar was the "Silverbird"? I always heard it was a powerglide, but pics I saw it looks like a turbo or radicaster.

Thanks for any history and specs on them old models. They intrest me alot.

Kevin
Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo777 View Post
Ken

Can you tell me a little about the TLZ model? I've only seen one picture of one. How many were made?

Also, what model of guitar was the "Silverbird"? I always heard it was a powerglide, but pics I saw it looks like a turbo or radicaster.

Thanks for any history and specs on them old models. They interest me alot.

Kevin
TLZ stands for TELEZION. It was the prototype/predecessor to the Powerglide. Kerry Livgren of Kansas, AD & Protokaw(before Kansas) bought one in the early 80's and still has it today. Refer to kevmo777 above & image below for Powerglides. BTW We intend to rerelease it, so if you have one, hang onto it as it will become an original.
The Silverbird on the other hand was a custom strat(see images below) It had a built in neck & inlaid pickguard and a one-of-a-kind paint job. It was featured on the cover of Guitar Player magazine in July 1983.
As far as TLZs, there were a handful made. There were 300-400 Powerglides made. *PROUD TO BE #150 AS FAR AS POSTS*

Here's an old shot of Phil Keaggy (with hair) playing a Powerglide.

Last edited by KENHOOVER; 12-13-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Closed Thread