OK, so I hated it at first. As with all these things, the factory presets are crap. Also, it has some annoying niggles:
- inability to scroll the banks in both directions - you have to go through all 10 banks to get back to the beginning. (An external pedal can solve this)
- Extremely sensitive controls. Hard to get to a specific delay setting. Trying to dial in my typical 385ms for example is annoyingly difficult.
- Tape emulation is not very good. Ironic because I had heard such good things about this particular feature. The Axefx echoplex is *MUCH* better.
- [UPDATE] Unit is being returned. Periodically makes digital noise squawks
However, after playing around with the unit for several days I have really grown to love it. A couple of the strong points:
- Vintage Delay - This is a bit reduced delay to simulate early delay units. I found that by dialing this back to 12 bits, I was able to get very close to the thick and rich tones of my '70s MXR rack mount Digital Delay. This has always been my favorite sounding delay and chorud unit. Big plus with the timefactor is the ability to get modulation and delay together (unlike the MXR)
- ModDelay - Gorgeous thick and juciy delay chorus combinations though I think I like the Vintage Delay version better
So, I've only scratched the surface with this unit and have already found several really great sounds. Glad I stuck with it.
Here are a couple really sloppy clips I made with the moddelay setting. I will redo these with better playing and using the vintage delay version which sounds better IMO.