Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100JH View Post
I just got the P2, SS3 and G2 in one shipment via FedEx a few weeks ago. The cost was around 100 for S&H (2-3 days, door to door) and the tax burden was around $75. Pete did me right since I bought all three at once.
Well if that's a fixed cost I can't get around I guess it makes more sense to make the most out of a single transaction and buy a duplex...
Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I see Jeff beck uses a p2, a g2 and a ss3

Super 100 amps 1959/2203/#34/#39 JTM45 JTM50 JMP50 Express K60 AC30 Twin reverbs, Champ, Scumback, Weber speakers
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard333 View Post
Sorry, I dont get it.

I've tried them, dont like them.

I also
1) Think his buffers are some of the least transparent and tone killing buffers around, even compared with fairly cheap alternatives, and yes I've A/B'd them pretty extensively,

2) Dont like his attitude that every pedal needs a buffer in it. A long chain of buffers, especially bad sounding buffers like his, is just a tone killing machine. What you need is ONE REALLY GOOD buffer right up front, then a long chain of true bypass. His rant on that subject is 100% wrong.
... oh, so badly want to deliver the robust response this deserves.. but, i.. must... resist..

The polite response: Everyone's entitled to an opinion. But for me, I'd be more inclined to follow the money. There's lots of choice out there and the most powerful illustration is when someone lays out their hard earned.

On that measure, you only have to look at the number of pedals, including the expensive boutique variety that attempt to emulate a player's tone while using the Cornish gear (pedals, buffers, boards), like Gilmour, Reed, etc.

The fact is, despite all the pedals available that are effectively Cornish Clones (the total $ales value of which is quite substantial), the reality is that as each clone is emulating a single setting on the Cornish pedal, it will take several clone pedals to get all the sounds available from one or two Cornish. Even if a clone imitates a sound, they never get close to the original Cornish functionality, they haven't improved the product to the point that the artist replaced the Cornish gear.. regardless of all the options available for buffers.

But if your right wizard333, I can't imagine how good Pink Floyd would have been if Gilmour played with a decent tone...
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 AM

Boys, boys........

I didnt say the tone of the effect sucked, although I dont find it anything special,

I DID say his buffers are TERRIBLE sounding, and the fact that he finds it necessary to put one in every pedal is just silly.

I'll back that up any time you care to do the comparison. Get his buffer/mute pedal so you're hearing just his buffer, and compare it to:
1) VHT Valvulator
2) Creation Audio Labs Redeemer

If you can afford the Cornish stuff, getting hold of those 2 shouldn't be an issue for you.

Use just two good quality, low-cap cords and the buffer, with a long cord between the buffer and the amp. Then, if you cant hear (and feel) the huge difference between Cornish's god awful buffer and either of those, especially the VHT, man, I dont know what to tell you.

Saying "well blah blah used it so it must be AWESOME" means nothing, a lot of players used craptastic equipment over the years and were able to wring some decent sounds out of it. So what. That doesn't mean they couldn't sound better with something else.

Steve Vai used an Boss DS-1. Does that make that a great pedal? Hardly. I don't find Gilmore's tone all that special, though his playing was spectacular. Learn to separate the two.

You can keep drinking the Cornish koolaid if that floats your boat, and you have the $ to waste. I just think its funny.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:

If you can afford the Cornish stuff, getting hold of those 2 shouldn't be an issue for you.

You can keep drinking the Cornish koolaid if that floats your boat, and you have the $ to waste. I just think its funny.
I'm not against someone having a different opinion but...

Why would you assume that if someone can afford one or more Cornish pedals that they could just waste money on other products just to A-B them . I think you will find that for most of us , buying a Cornish (or any other high-end pedal) is a considerered purchase - that doesn't make us all rich.

Take your attitude problem somewhere else.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Edit... I didnt say the tone of the effect sucked, although I dont find it anything special,
Ah, yes you did.. remember writing this?

Quote:
Edit...
1) Think his buffers are some of the least transparent and tone killing buffers around....

2) Edit.. is just a tone killing machine.
Or on some other planet, the tone can be killed, but the effect works wonderfully, right?

Sorry man, that's an argument trying to survive in a credibility vacuum.

Once the discussion abandons all logic, I lose interest.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Supporting Member

Guys, this has been a great thread so far with lots of info. Let's not deviate now just because someone doesn't like Cornish pedals or buffers. To each his own...
Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisharmony View Post
Well if that's a fixed cost I can't get around I guess it makes more sense to make the most out of a single transaction and buy a duplex...
I was thinking the same thing, Pete suggested buying individual ones so you can move them around. The most common setup for the three of them that I have seen is P2 > G2 > SS3. He suggested the same to me about order. It works fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Just curious, how much do these pedals run? I'm having trouble finding accurate prices.....

And does anyone want to give me a brief synopsis/description of each pedal? I'm not sure what "P2,G2,SS3, etc." all mean exactly.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voorhiessa View Post
Just curious, how much do these pedals run? I'm having trouble finding accurate prices.....

And does anyone want to give me a brief synopsis/description of each pedal? I'm not sure what "P2,G2,SS3, etc." all mean exactly.
it's all on the petecornish web site.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voorhiessa View Post

Here is the current price list:

http://petecornish.co.uk/Pedals.html

click on the model numbers for the description of each pedal
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100JH View Post
I was thinking the same thing, Pete suggested buying individual ones so you can move them around. The most common setup for the three of them that I have seen is P2 > G2 > SS3. He suggested the same to me about order. It works fine.
I had the same conversation with Pete and he talked me out of the duplex's also for the same reason. Being able to move them around really has been a big plus for me.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Boys, boys........

I didnt say the tone of the effect sucked, although I dont find it anything special,

Saying "well blah blah used it so it must be AWESOME" means nothing, a lot of players used craptastic equipment over the years and were able to wring some decent sounds out of it. So what. That doesn't mean they couldn't sound better with something else.
Well, I have no problem with you voicing your opinion here contrary as it may be. We all hear and like different things. I for example cannot for the life of me figure out why so many people love Tube Screamers. I was around when they came out and have bought many of them through the years starting with the coveted originals. In all those years and attempts I have never once stepped on that box and didn't think that it was the most horrid nasal dentist drill kind of guitar sound I've ever heard. A lot of other guys sure sound great with one though so I'd have to say it's me, not the box.

I've said here and other threads that Pete's pedals used in the same way as most people use od/dist/fuzz pedals will not result in a very pleasing result. For the Tube Screamer type of player that wants to take their already cooking amp and stomp on that TS to take them over the top, you will be very disappointed. I will attest that cranking up my old Marshalls or an AC30 type amp and kicking on a G-2 or SS-3 sounds like total ass to me. My $45 Nobels ODR1 or an RC Booster sounds way better and that's what I use with those amps. When you run Pete's pedals into an amp that has very characteristic types of frequency or distortion qualities, these same great qualities get amplified to a really dysfunctional degree. That beautiful grindy Marshall distortion turns into a blatty smeary mess and that Vox chime becomes as pleasant as someone hitting an anvil. So I get it - It's easy to form the opinion that the sound of these is nothing special or in fact, out and out sucks. This is all subjective of course, but that's my take on Pete's pedals after owning quite a few of them for several years.

Quote:
I DID say his buffers are TERRIBLE sounding, and the fact that he finds it necessary to put one in every pedal is just silly.

I'll back that up any time you care to do the comparison. Get his buffer/mute pedal so you're hearing just his buffer, and compare it to:
1) VHT Valvulator
2) Creation Audio Labs Redeemer

Use just two good quality, low-cap cords and the buffer, with a long cord between the buffer and the amp. Then, if you cant hear (and feel) the huge difference between Cornish's god awful buffer and either of those, especially the VHT, man, I dont know what to tell you.
Here's a list of the buffers I have. Please note that I say have, not just buffers I have tried. I've tried and have owned several others going as far back to when Paul Rivera was doing pedalboards with his buffer or for that matter building my own Craig Anderton buffer circuits. I'm just saying that I own all these so I'm not biased in the least. If one of these sounded better I would pull it out of the closet, drawer, box, etc. and spend 2 minutes velcroing it to my board.

VHT Valvulator
Axess Electronics
Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher
Radial Engineering Big Shot
Radial Engineering JD-7

I've done all the tests you could think of. These all sound great and I do especially like the Valvulator, but I much prefer the Cornish (and yes I did test these against Pete's buffer only pedals). I'll be polite and just say that your ears and taste differ heavily from mine. Also, I rarely ever play guitar outside of the studio. All my playing and listening is under very microscopic conditions with people that have unbelievable ears. I have lived in the studio for far longer than I care to admit and am a very acute listener. I just don't agree in the least with your conclusions. As I said, you just hear differently than I do. Pete's buffer may be changing the sound, they all do.... I just think it sounds a lot better.

In theory, I might agree with you that so many buffers in the chain goes against common sense. With the exception of a few bigger rack setups, I've had pedalboards going back to the late 70's and for the last decade or so I've tried to mainly keep to true bypass devices with maybe a buffer at the beginning and end of the chain. If I wasn't using it I wanted it out of the signal chain. That all changed when I started getting into Pete's boxes. I've currently got 5 of Pete's buffers in my chain via the different pedals. I can and sometimes do throw just about any box in the signal path, TB, Boss, whatever. My guitar always sounds the same every day regardless. I can honestly say that the last two pedalboards I've had that were heavily equipped with Pete's pedals are the best sounding setups I've had in 30 years of doing this. This includes rigs put together by some of the big guys.

Quote:
I don't find Gilmore's tone all that special, though his playing was spectacular. Learn to separate the two.
Hmm, I don't even know what to say about this.......

I'm surely not some rabid Gilmour worshiper (just an appreciative mostly Floyd fan) but you could probably be the first person I've ever come across that ever voiced that his tone is "not all that special". Perplexing. What is it about his sound that you find "not so special"?

Quote:
I don't really care whether anyone here thinks I'm a dumb ass or not for liking all things Pete. I would never use something just because a certain rock star or celebrity uses something. I do admit that it might make me check it out although I'm probably more influenced by what name studio guys have on their board, but ultimately "drinking the coolaid" is entirely based on what works for me and nothing else. You diminish the value of Pete's clientele and their opinions while at the same time elevating your own opinion with this comment by implying that you simply know better. My guess is that while you have "tried" Pete's products, you really haven't put a system together utilizing his products in the manner intended.

I've driven my buddy's Ferrari so in essence I've "tried" a Ferrari. It seemed to travel the slow moving traffic filled streets of Los Angeles at about the same speed as does my Prius. They both seemed to have a steering wheel and brakes and a whole bunch of other stuff. Do you think I've captured the same Ferrari experience that my buddy has?

Toontracks Superior Drummer Endorsee.

Last edited by KennyM; 08-03-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Supporting Member

Just added an NG-2 to my P-2s, G-2 and SS-3. I think it might be my favorite.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Hey Kenny, that's a great post. There are a lot of people that have used this thread as an information source, so I think it's important to receive comments, even negative ones and respond appropriately, rather than ignoring them and risking the perception that there is tacit agreement for inaccurate information. Else, this thread would just become a Cornish fanboy club, which would be a great shame because the success of the thread is the intelligent and measured contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyM View Post
Edit... I've said here and other threads that Pete's pedals used in the same way as most people use od/dist/fuzz pedals will not result in a very pleasing result. etc.. edit.
I'm sure any thinking person would appreciate the opportunity to draw from a guys with great experience and it shows the value of mature discussion. This is a great example. Thanks for taking the time man.
Closed Thread