Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't want to get off of the subject of the thread but maybe someone knows what those pickups are and can help me out in identifying them. The bridge is a humbucker. I have a Squier Classic Vibe Strat in my collection, the same one that Jack is using in the above video but mine is Blue. Would love to upgrade to those same pickups.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFees View Post
First impressions. I watched the Anderton video (see below) with both the GT10 and the GT100 side by side doing an A-B comparison. I found the GT10 result more to my liking than the GT100. The GT10 even on the distortion settings was well pronounced and the GT100 was muddier. They both had the same overall sound but GT10 won a majority of the shootouts. (Even though Anderton found the GT100 to be better which after all is the only one they have available for sale. Sorry no offense to Anderton I really like those guys) Even the Boss Metal setting on the GT 10 compared to the Stack amp model on the GT100 sounded better and more like a deep throaty stacked amp.
Now this part is conjecture on my part, but I saw another poster say that the GT100 doesn't have the scalable adjust-ability of the GT-10. They may have made it easier to adjust but in so doing they limited the variations and possibilities. Is that the case?
I also got a charge out of the comments where viewers where jumping on them for having different pickup selections from one another and from what I saw that was not the case at all. They did use different pickups but both changed over for example from the neck to the bridge for the same comparison.
I have the GT-10 so there is admittedly a bias toward that one but my ears are not deceived.

Personally I think that they both sound like Fran Drescher.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 PM

just got home from another gig with the GT100 into the Power Engine - great rig, tone was killing it.

My disclaimer - I have worked in music retail for almost 25 years and have dealings with too many manufacturers to list.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I sold my ME-70 because I wanted full adjustability that you can get in the GT10 and 100. I want you to hear a video of Jack Thammarat playing his Fender Squier Classic Vibe Strat with custom pickups.

In his earlier videos a few years ago he was using a Boss eBand JS-8. In one video he gives you a step by step explanation of his settings. He said at that time this is like a Boss GT10 which he later used and was using at the time he made this video.

Once I find how to recreate this tone there won't be much else I use for my lead work. The way it sounds on the bridge and neck pickup is all the joy I can behold. Then you can let your fingers bring out all the magic in the inflection. Check it out. This thing keeps building. Don't make the mistake of hearing just the first minute, even though that is amazing enough, because it gets totally insane as it progresses. This is pure joy.

Often these boxes are good at high gain tones like in this clip, but I wonder how it goes at low gain and just breaking up tones. I also wonder how good the OD sims are.

Tones in the clip are not to my liking at all. Glad you like them The Fees.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelzel View Post
Personally I think that they both sound like Fran Drescher.
:-)
True. To tell you the truth I am more of a clean sound guy than anything, and to answer the other poster, yes the Boss GT10 lacks that in between area that is... let's call it clean grunge, or at least doesn't have a lot of options in that domain. My Blues Deluxe Tweed tube amp covers that pretty well though.

OK back to the GT 10. Watch the video from Anderton's, and I don't want to single out one clip and focus on that completely, but I did notice that there were some sounds in the A-B shootout between the 10 and 100 where the 100 sounded muddier. So to emphasize my point listen to video frame #8:20 showing the Vintage Rectifier and then right after that (just let it play) you can hear it on the 100 as well.

Understand that I am not into yey this and boo that, but rather yey this and yey that. Judging from those who have the 100 it is a great unit and possibly better overall than the 10. For the most part in the shootout you couldn't tell the difference.

I also thought the shootout video was a bit biased because they didn't show the settings the 10 had that the 100 didn't have, but rather went right into the settings as a display that the 100 had that the 10 didn't.
Anyhow I love the sound capabilities of the GT series from Boss.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
but I did notice that there were some sounds in the A-B shootout between the 10 and 100 where the 100 sounded muddier.
When I first started working with my GT-100 the "cocked wah" was not apparent to me but the over all sound was too bass heavy, muddy sounding, for me to the point I thought I made a mistake and was getting ready to return it. After trimming back some low end on the amp models, adding a touch more mids and making sure the speaker sims were off things started working for me. Most of the time I use just the drives 4CM to my Mesa but I also use a few amp sims and those sound decent enough to me to use occasionally.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I just returned a GT100 in favor of the Fender Mustang III version 2. I really miss the GT100's pedal assign capabilities. Live, it would have been a dream to use. But the Mustang III v2 sounds SO much better in every way. I just couldn't justify the GT100. Now if Fender only had a better controller for the Mustang combos!
Effects: Line 6 M13
Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Supporting Member

So nice, you post it twice.
Affiliations: Line 6 Expert User
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoertz View Post
I just returned a GT100 in favor of the Fender Mustang III version 2. I really miss the GT100's pedal assign capabilities. Live, it would have been a dream to use. But the Mustang III v2 sounds SO much better in every way. I just couldn't justify the GT100. Now if Fender only had a better controller for the Mustang combos!
I have the Mustang III V2 as well, and was getting ready to post something in that thread, but since it applies here whereas it is about pedal usage, it is a relevant post.

Dispelling myth number 3 about Fender Mustang III V2 amps. They don't work with effects pedals. WRONG. I plugged my Boss MT2 Metal Zone foot pedal in the INPUT of the MIII and it sounds like pure gold. Now let me elaborate because I have made a bunch of erroneous conclusions about the MIII before because it is the worlds most misunderstood soft drink and due to the complexity of operating it mis-assumptions can run rampant.
So to qualify. The back and forth between users of the MIII and Fender themselves USING THE EFFECTS SEND AND RETURNS ON THE BACK was that according to Fender the new Version 2 was going to give you less than ideal results. A user of the MIII V2 said that he was disappointed because he sold his V1 before the V2 came out and it sucked for using it with pedals. Another poster said that the effects problem was due to not having the latest firmware update from Fender.

Ok so now that I have clarified that let me make one more thing clear. I ONLY USED MY PEDAL IN THE CLEAN PRE-SET "BASIC 65 DELUXE". I did however flat lined the gain knob, but noticed that when I returned it to 3 ti didn't hurt the effects pedal. I am assuming that if you went into pre-set number 1 "Liquid Solo" and then tried to add a pedal in front of that you not only would experience overload, you could even possibly hurt the amp.

Anyhow the dream of having this great sounding little amp, that is so feather light, and puts out 100 watts of power AND HAS THE EFFECTS BUILT RIGHT INTO IT is superb. I have yet to burrow into the full adjustability of the effects, nor have I hooked it up to the computer. I am remodeling in order to put in my studio, and can only spend a little time with it right now. Hope this helps.

By the way I am not into yey this and boo that. I love Boss GT10-100 and I love Fender Mustang III V1 and V2. (The only one of these I don't own is the GT-100.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumtown View Post
The GT-100 outdoes the GT-10 in amp quality, overdrive quality and effect fidelity.
I don't put too much faith in demo videos,
just like my post here, it is one persons opinion.
Cannot agree more. I gigged the GT-10 hard for years and finally
gave up. The GT-100 is bringing me nothing but smiles.
One of the easiest units to dial in and very deep if you
are into that.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftywatt View Post
Cannot agree more. I gigged the GT-10 hard for years and finally
gave up. The GT-100 is bringing me nothing but smiles.
One of the easiest units to dial in and very deep if you
are into that.
Ok now I am convinced. No seriously too many people are raving about it for it to not be true. I bought my GT10 new when Boss was having a special $50 rebate, and there was a discount going on with general merchandise which took another $75 off so I only paid $375 instead of $500. I see they are going for less than that used but not by much. I took it out of the box, plugged it in for less than one hour and back in the box it went.
I usually like to test drive the new one before getting rid of the old and I am in the middle of a major house remodel right now, and to tell you the truth have a hankering for a new Mustang IV V2. I appreciate the info. Maybe I will check one out at the store.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM

I think I may have to try a GT-100 to see what the fuss is all about.

Time to close this thread! (I actually got the last word, lol)

Jimmy :)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Mega thread status reached - please start a sequel thread!

Affiliations/Disclosures/Rig Design/Programming Consulting
: Click here
Closed Thread