Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > Recording/Live Sound

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

That's great info about setting up a macbook as a router. I had my old wireless router all set up, but will try this out. One less device to bring to the gig is much nicer.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminJoe View Post
That's great info about setting up a macbook as a router. I had my old wireless router all set up, but will try this out. One less device to bring to the gig is much nicer.
Make sure you test it at home first. You can look up how to create a wireless network on your mac on Apples website or just google it - it is fairly easy but you will need to enable file sharing and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Create new passwords and all that...

Marshall JVM 410c
Marshall SL-5
- Les Pauls, Strats & Teles
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 AM

I'm considering picking up a used 16.4.2 to make my life easier for club walk-ins. The thing that makes me uneasy about the Presonus is that they don't have a service network. If something breaks, it has to be sent to Louisiana.

The Phonic Digital Console is an interesting piece of kit at @ $1800. Touch screen and 8-outputs + L/R and FW, as I recall.

Someday Behringer will get around to releasing the X32.

You could get an 01V with an ADAT card and go up to 28-xlr inputs. I did that with a Behringer DDX3216 for a few years.

www.scredco.com

Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=777819&content=music
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 AM

other small format digital consoles worth checking out before making a purchase:

Allen & Heath iLive-R72
Avid SC48
DiGiCo SD11
Cadac CDC Four
Midas Pro2C
Soundcraft Si Compact 16
Roland M-300
Yamaha LS9
Yamaha 01V96i

These are all small format boards, about the size of the Presonus.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by spakuloid View Post
Make sure you test it at home first. You can look up how to create a wireless network on your mac on Apples website or just google it - it is fairly easy but you will need to enable file sharing and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Create new passwords and all that...
Yeah - got it working and it works great in this mode.

On Mac:
System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing -> Share your connection from "Firewire" -> To Computers using "Airport" (then set security with password) -> Hit OK then make sure Internet Sharing box is checked off

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 PM

This is the step by step instructions to create an ad hoc network for your mac laptop

http://www.presonus.com/slremote/sup...ote_manual.pdf

Marshall JVM 410c
Marshall SL-5
Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Gold Supporting Member

My band is considering the 16.4.2 for recording to my MBP/garageband partly because it allows 6 different monitor mixes (5 of us). Is there anything remotely in its price range that will be a FW interface and provide 5+ mon mixes? btw, we're all newbies at this and have been struggling to accomplish recording and monitoring w/ separate mixes with equipment that simply does not allow that (Zoom R16, JamHub). We're old guys who play together a couple times a month and do a few shows a year. Ie, nothing rugged needed. But we've been together a long time and want to 'commit to tape' our stuff in case we all drop dead sooner than later...

jon
Old 05-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokpunk View Post
you claim that you can mix faders with your ipad, but you fail to mention that you also need a dedicated computer, a firewire connection, plus a 5GHz wireless router to make this possible. this is silly. but for $1500.....i guess that's to be expected.
Used Mac Mini: $350
Computer screen: $35
Used N-Band router: $100
iPad 1, 3G 64GB $350
FireWire cable: free!

Quote:
i finally had a chance to play with a presonus board the other day. i suppose for it's price it's about par for the course, but i couldn't work off of that tiny screen, and the fact that you can't run it remotely, from an ipad or a tablet to mix your faders, makes it virtually useless as a digital board. i understand band members can run their own mixes from their own ipads, but the engineer can't walk the room with ipad in hand and make changes to his mix. you have to return to the console to make the actual change. to me, there is no advantage having this console over your standard mixwizard analog board. there are also a lot of layers to go through to make simple adjustments. i'm sure you get proficient with it over time, but it's not nearly as intuitive as an LS9 or an M7CL. no meter bridge is an issue for me as well. i like to see my mix outs on leds. no flying faders is a deal breaker for me....if i need to stand behind the board to make fader moves, i'd rather have an analog board. i don't mean to offend the many fans of the presonus, but i have to say that after playing with it, i was less than impressed. the tascam dm3200 that was sitting right next to the presonus was a much better value, for not all that much more money. i didn't actually hear the presonus in action, but the sales guy i deal with at washington pro told me "don't bother" listening to it. i'm not sure if that meant he didn't feel like setting it up, or if he thought i'd be wasting my time listening. he is the same guy who sold me both of my M7CL/48's, and my LS9. he kept coming back to the lack of vca's, mute groups, etc. by reminding me that it's a $1500 mixer. the good news for the day was that he spent 30 minutes working with me on the new midas pro2 console, showing me the ins and outs of it. now THAT'S a cool console for a reasonable price ($22K complete with road case and i/o box/snake). verrrry tempting....
I mix every show remotely, you can see the meter bridge in this video. Keep in mind it was shot with an iPhone, no direct in or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kqQ9ypYXXM&feature

For the meter bridge, you can choose:

Input
Output
Gain Reduction
Aux

I can't see them showing up on any bigger festivals, like you say, I don't think that's the intended target... I'm sure most gigs I do wouldn't be worth your while, but I definitely serve a niche market.

But I do 100000000% agree recallable preamps would be nice, and would definitely make life easier.

Couple more videos:

Open mic, with a 16.0.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBU7FVEuL_k

Show in a little tiny awesome shithole basement bar. You couldn't get an M7CL down there if you tried...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwkKTeob94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWqE5c-gt2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60uq7gikN4o&feature

My band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZotPcJfyIZc

Last edited by robare99; 05-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was asking legit questions that I didn't know the answers to. I can tell you that the salesman, and this is a pro store, one of the biggest on the east coast..the ONLY one to have a midas pro2 in stock, if that says anything, had nothing good to say about the presonus, except that they sell a ton. His comment was that in a few years you won't be able to give one away. But, then again, this guy is a pro touring engineer who works at the shop when not on tour and has a clue.
One thing to think about, I paid off my SL24.4.2 basically within 3 months of owning it. I'm small potatoes, averaging $2000/month in business, should do over $25,000 this year. I know, it's peanuts compared to what you do. If I give my board away in 5 years, who cares, it will have made $125k for me during those 5 years.

Pretty decent ROI if you ask me. But again, different beast. If I was doing bigger shows full time, it would be M7's & Meyer all the way. It's a side business for me, a hobby, on top of my real job so I'm not looking to drop 22k on a board. I see it similar to owning a boat or RV trailer, except my boat and trailer aren't going to make me $25k/year anytime soon...

We are bush league here, you should go hang at the PSW Varsity forum, that's where the big boys play.

Last edited by robare99; 05-20-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
other small format digital consoles worth checking out before making a purchase:

These are all small format boards, about the size of the Presonus.

Prices?

Allen & Heath iLive-R72 $7,999
Avid SC48 $28,995
DiGiCo SD11 $12,000? (est)
Cadac CDC Four $72,500
Midas Pro2C $28,000
Soundcraft Si Compact 16 $8500
Roland M-300 $5995
Yamaha LS9 $8,000? (est)
Yamaha 01V96i $2,399

Aside from the 01v96i the rest are in a different league, at least out of my league...

Last edited by robare99; 05-20-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robare99 View Post
We are bush league here, you should go hand at the PSW Varsity forum, that's where the big boys play.

Bring your advanced physics degree and a slide rule. Maybe keep a lawyer on retainer for how to handle repeatedly having your ass handed to you by every genius on the interwebz.

Marshall JVM 410c
Marshall SL-5
Old 05-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spakuloid View Post
Bring your advanced physics degree and a slide rule. Maybe keep a lawyer on retainer for how to handle repeatedly having your ass handed to you by every genius on the interwebz.
Yup. But those are the guys with dozens of $30,000+ mixers etc. I don't know why he's wasting his time here.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 PM

For what you want to do, I think the StudioLive and a MacBook (or mini and the other necessaries) is the way to go. You can likely rent it out to other bands to make some $ back on it. Most will either want to rent it all the time, or rent it only once or twice before buying their own.

Freelance mixperson: http://www.padrick.net/TP_Audio.htm
Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 AM

Presonus

Gents:
Just a heads up. I am not a behringer fan at all, but since they bought Midas, they have a new digital console coming out in which Midas did their pre amps & some of the design. It's target price is around $2.5k. I am curious to see the results.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifshnee View Post
Gents:
Just a heads up. I am not a behringer fan at all, but since they bought Midas, they have a new digital console coming out in which Midas did their pre amps & some of the design. It's target price is around $2.5k. I am curious to see the results.
It's been 2 years so far.

One of these years.