Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGoodsell View Post
Either, really - though my gut tells me that the 75Hz nailed it more perfectly than the 55Hz, or I would've ordered more by now. When it first came out I played with it a little, and all I remember is that it didn't compel me to switch from the regular Reaper. Still, I probably owe it another chance before I go on the record. I was/am a big fan of the Heritage H, though...
Richard (or other users), what's your favorite 2 X 12" speaker combo for the Super 17?
Good deals: Here & Here

Last edited by Mick_Braun; 07-05-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have an older MKII head,(like the one in the emporium right now-no affiliation),
and seperate 1X12 cab.
The cab has interchangable backs for open or closed. I prefer the closed back panel,and am running a Cele 55hz H.
I like it a lot,and all my dirt pedals sound great through it. (OCD,Blues Pro,and Crunch Box are all on my board.)

Also have a 2X12 Stoneage cab with G12H & Vintage 30,and it delivers much more volume & thump.(Usually use the Stoneage for my Marshall heads,tho).

I thought the G12H in the 1X12 was a tad bright...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_Braun View Post
Richard (or other users), what's your favorite 2 X 12" speaker combo for the Super 17?
Most of my 2x12 17w amps were built before my relationship with WGS. It's kind of a weird configuration in that it weighs and costs more than than a typical low-power one-hander, but those who know the magic (Butch Walker, Todd Mohr) of that rig wouldn't have it any other way. Every one I've ever built wound up being used for live stage work, which you would assume would be the domain of the 33, but the 17 is well-suited to drive 2x12s. The earliest ones used a pair of Private Jacks. Then I went to the 70th Anniv G12H/V30 combination, (which is the ONLY circumstance you'll catch me anywhere near a V30) and they were well matched. After that it was always a 70th Anniv for at least one if not both. Fairly often I did a 70th with a Heritage H, and sometimes I even did a 70th with a Blue. But a pair of 70th Anniversaries is always a safe choice; 2 of those in a 17 are mystical.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmydeez View Post
Any Super 17 players out there. What are your favorite setting? What tones are you going for?
I have an early S17 with an AO-35 chassis and just three controls. As far as I can tell there are no settings for this amp or maybe more correctly it just sounds good with the knobs set anywhere. I have only owned it for less than four months but I play it all the time and I am still finding new tones all of the time in this amp. I play a while, reach down and move a control and go off in a different direction.

The controls are so interactive but not in a fiddly or touchy sort of way. The tone control is outstanding. I have found that once it gets past 12 noon it doesn't so much add gain to the tone as it adds body to the tone. Richness. Like I said, I am finding new tones all of the time.

With my S17 I mostly play a 1987 MIJ Squier Strat with Dragonfire alnico standard pickups in the middle and neck and a Duncan Hot For Strat in the bridge. I know RG loves the G12H30 70th for these amps (and that is my all time fave Celestion speaker - love it for 4x12 cabs with a Marshall and a Les Paul) but mine has a well seasoned British made Greenback that just sings.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacky the Frog View Post
I love my Mark III but find its a little dark and I have to keep the Tone at 3 in order to get treble out of it.

I've been tempted to call Richard to see of he'd take a look at it (since I read on a thread here he can make it brighter by removing a cap?) but I don't want to be without it for any length of time!
I did indeed send my S17 back to Richard. Mine is one of the earlier 17's and the problem listed above had to do with the speaker, not a cap. Richard replaced the speaker free of charge and also updated the reverb tank, making the reverb wetter.

There is no treble issue any longer, lol.

I love the tremelo, I love the reverb but what really makes this one of the best amps I've ever played (and easily the best I've owned) is the touch responsiveness of it. I can't gush about it enough.

Gain, Tone and Master can all be set to 2 o'clock and rolling the volume up and down yields many different sounds.

Fantastic amp, fantastic service.

I use a Rockbox BP for either a clean or gain boost. That's all that's needed...and most of the time it isn't needed!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Wondering what to expect from the Red Tone Tubby that Richard is putting in mine....?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Dreamer of the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckmark View Post
Wondering what to expect from the Red Tone Tubby that Richard is putting in mine....?
I heard a Tone Tubby in an amp based off of a Blonde Bassman and it sounded fantastic. I hear they are slow to break-in, but then sound great.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Dreamer of the Dream

Not to derail, but has anyone ever tried a WGS G12C/S? Just wondering...
Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRJohnny View Post
I heard a Tone Tubby in an amp based off of a Blonde Bassman and it sounded fantastic. I hear they are slow to break-in, but then sound great.
Cool!...

I'm a big Tone Tubby fan and have several. I love the speaker. Just never heard this amp and see where Richard likes ceramic better than AlNiCo in the Super 17.
Specifically the "H" type speaker.

He told me it would be great. I've just been reading too much I guess!...lol
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGoodsell View Post
Then I went to the 70th Anniv G12H/V30 combination, (which is the ONLY circumstance you'll catch me anywhere near a V30) and they were well matched. After that it was always a 70th Anniv for at least one if not both. Fairly often I did a 70th with a Heritage H, and sometimes I even did a 70th with a Blue. But a pair of 70th Anniversaries is always a safe choice; 2 of those in a 17 are mystical.
I have a Super 17 head. I have been using it with a G12H (70th anniv.) and V30. That is a wonderful combo. I was perfectly happy with the tone. Recently I bought a Hellatone 30 (broken in 70th anniv.), for a very fair price, and paired it with the G12H. Oh wow.

Mystical. Yep. You are correct.