Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Mark, I've always had the exact same problem you've described.

Remember the BF amps essentially are two amps in the same box.

Use the Vibrato Channel for clean.

Then use the Normal Channel for dirty (or vice versa) - you can EQ them differently.

All you have to do is use an A/B box, send the A side to Vib and the B side to Norm with the OD box in line (left on all the time). You can even control the volume (i.e turn up your OD pedal, and turn down the channel, or vice versa).

If the EQ on the amp isn't enough, put an EQ pedal in line with the OD (still after the A/B) and you can tone shape on the OD side only.

Another option is to put your OD in a loop with an EQ (loop pedal) and tone shape it there. When the loop is engaged, both the OD an EQ come on.

That said, if you can afford a Lonestar, I'd agree with the other posters. Try it and see if it will work for you.

Best,
Steve
Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Before you ditch your Fender, I suggest trying another pedal that may better suit your amp's EQ. I play all sorts of vintage and replica Fenders. One pedal that seems to fit the bill for all is the Tim from Paul Cochrane. I'll bet a paycheck that it will give you everything you are looking for from all Fender amps and all guitars.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
I find myself EQ-ing for everything, switching from clean to overdrive to lead, bridge to neck pickup, guitar, etc.

So I guess I am looking for a channel switcher. And maybe some new pickups to make the neck pickups less dark and the bridge pickups less bright. But that's an whole other story :-)

But is it a channel switcher because of the different guitars or because you want one channel clean and one dirty?

If it's the former I don't think that's the answer. In that clip you posted he has an RC Boost simply to change the EQ when using the Tele so he doesn't have to touch the amp. I've come close between doing things like changing input and using the bright switch but I usually end up turning knobs anyway.

If it's the former that's a different thing. I usually suggest getting the clean sound you want and then finding a pedal/combination of pedals to get the OD you want. Very few amps that have it all in one package.

― J.D. Salinger
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I do have an update of some sort, as I tried a couple of things and tested a few amps:

First of all, my issue really seemed apparent with the P90 loaded Les Pauls. The bridge PU was too bright and the neck to dark and "woofy" if you know what I mean. Both Les Pauls had this issue. With the Tele this wasn't really a huge difference.

Instead of going to a different amp, I re-soldered my Les Pauls with some RS stuff. The neck pickups now have 500k pots (tone and volume), the bridge pickups still have 300k although now replaced with decent RS pots. The tonal difference between the bridge and neck are now way less. The bridge is less ear-pearcing bright and the neck pickups are way less darker. This makes it way easier to EQ the guitar.

On the amp side of things:
I have tried a Mesa 5:25, a 5:50 and some more (later). I liked both the Mesa's but the Fender sound was more apparent on the 5:50. Both very good amps and very versatile. But I couldn't pull the trigger just yet.
I also tried a Rivera cluster. Indeed also a very nice amp, lots of options (just like the Mesa's), but it was kinda hard to dial-in and it sounded more like a "small" amp.
At last, I also tried something pretty different, a Vox AC15C1 (new Blue tolexed one). I have had a AC30CC1 before, so I know the Vox sound, but it still surprised me that I really liked the Vox cleans. Lot of Sparkle and top end, but manageable and it did not have that over-present low end. I might just buy one of these!

In the meantime, I remembered I had a Celestion G10 Vintage laying around somewhere. Tried in on the Princeton and still have it in there. While the cleans are less Fendery, especially overdriven, it now has more mids and a tighter low end.

So, for now, I will keep it running like this and wait until GAS becomes me and I buy a new Vox.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Sounds like you have it worked out but I was wondering if you tried the Hot Rod Deluxe III or the Supersonic 22?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplexi View Post
Sounds like you have it worked out but I was wondering if you tried the Hot Rod Deluxe III or the Supersonic 22?
Tried the HotRod once. Clean was pretty much Fender like, but a Princeton or a Deluxe RI is better imo. Supersonic 22 is an interesting amp, but never had the opportunity to play one.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
Before you ditch your Fender, I suggest trying another pedal that may better suit your amp's EQ. I play all sorts of vintage and replica Fenders. One pedal that seems to fit the bill for all is the Tim from Paul Cochrane. I'll bet a paycheck that it will give you everything you are looking for from all Fender amps and all guitars.
...or check out the Wampler 65 pedal videos for tweakable Fender OD tones.

-bEn r.
Guitars: Gretsch 6120GA, '80's Fernandes TE-1 w/USACG neck & Glendale pups & bridge, SG Special Faded Amps: Magic Brit EF86 head, Clark Gullah, various Fender amps Pedalboard: Treble Tool > Zippy > Boss TU-2 > Wampler Ego > Klone > SuperBolt > Aphelion > sToneBender > ML Jr > Suhr JR Trem > Fromel Shape EQ > WET Reverb > Rockett Revolver Good dealings with: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...&postcount=235
Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Nothing missing here. I get all the sounds i've always looked for, and i dont use pedals

much at all.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post

hehe so many of the Fender owners just don't get it - so it seems anyway hehe.

The whole point is NOT to have to use pedals for distortion or OD.
Pedals cost $$, there's more to go wrong, more stuff to transport, more set up time AND even the best one's do not sound as great as tube amp distortion.

Now if you're soley a clean player - doesn't matter.
And ....if you only ever use light OD - doesn't matter - use your Fender & be happy.

But Fender amps do not do distortion.
If you need distortion then there's 2 good options
a) Use pedals
b) Use a channel switching mid/high gain amp with independent EQ's for every channel.

Option b) is much better and Fender don't do it

heheh and I like the way the OP started this thread with wanting Fender cleans w great distortion .......and has ended up wanting a Vox AC - they don't do either either hehehe
Amplification - Mesa Boogie Express 5:50, Egnater Rebel 30, Roland Cube 60, MarkBass cmd 102p, 2x12 cab.
Effects - Analog Pedal Boards.
Recording - Fast Track Ultra & Sonar 8SE
Check out my Soundclick page @ http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=792315

Last edited by Waxhead; 02-29-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

The reason I asked about the Supersonic is that I just picked up a Supersonic 22 and unfortunately, it has a noisy tube(s) and I have to send it back for exchange. But...even with the noisy tube the sound is pretty good. The clean is your typical blackface with preamp tone controls, no master volume, etc. but it also has a fat switch that gives it a mid boost tweed sound. The second channel has post preamp tone controls and does a pretty good mild to hard rock sound. It cannot get into super heavy or metal territory but you can get some classic rock tones.

I will know more when I get the replacement and get to spend more time with it. I am thinking it can be dialed in for clean, clean with some hair (fat boost), and lead. Then by dialing down the guitar volume on the lead channel have a decent crunch. Oh, and it has an effects loop. I prefer putting time based effects in the loop of an amp.