Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Anyone using an EQ Pedal after their OCD?

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Fromel Shape EQ because of the rave reviews it's been getting, and I'm curious to hear from anyone who has been using EQ pedals with an OCD or comparable drive pedal with good results. I have been a long-time OCD user and, after having owned and played the different versions extensively, have finally settled on a v.4. This pedal is a fixture on my pedalboard, and no matter how many times I've tried to replace it, I haven't found a pedal that fits my style of playing better than the OCD. All that said, I just have two minor issues with the pedal - the slight high end fizz you get when using it with bright amps and the slight lack of mids and sustain for big lead lines. Again, for 95% of the stuff I do, the OCD as is works perfectly...I'm wondering if the Fromel Shape EQ or other EQ will take me over the top. The RC Booster almost got me there, but I wanted a little bit more control over the mid frequencies. For reference, I'm playing a Tele into Fenders and Voxes.

So, here are my questions:

1) Will the Fromel Shape EQ be able to tame the high-end fizz of the OCD and give me the punchy mids and sustain I need for leads? please no tubescreamer recommendations...I'm really just curious whether or not the Shape EQ (or other EQ) can do this
2) Can the Shape EQ give me more clarity on my cleans without the icepick? I LOVE the cleans on my BFDR, but there are times I could use a TAD more warmth and clarity.
3) For those of you who do use the Shape EQ with an OCD or comparable drive pedal, do you like it before or after your overdrive?
4) I've heard that the OCD can be a hit or miss with buffered pedals...for those of you who do use it with the Fromel, do you use it in buffered bypass mode?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated!

Last edited by minjason; 02-23-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Supporting Member

just spoke with John Fromel over the phone yesterday, and he was super helpful with all my questions...needless to say, I ordered a Shape EQ on the spot! Can't wait to try it out with my rig!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by minjason View Post
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Fromel Shape EQ because of the rave reviews it's been getting, and I'm curious to hear from anyone who has been using EQ pedals with an OCD or comparable drive pedal with good results. I have been a long-time OCD user and, after having owned and played the different versions extensively, have finally settled on a v.4. This pedal is a fixture on my pedalboard, and no matter how many times I've tried to replace it, I haven't found a pedal that fits my style of playing better than the OCD. All that said, I just have two minor issues with the pedal - the slight high end fizz you get when using it with bright amps and the slight lack of mids and sustain for big lead lines. Again, for 95% of the stuff I do, the OCD as is works perfectly...I'm wondering if the Fromel Shape EQ or other EQ will take me over the top. The RC Booster almost got me there, but I wanted a little bit more control over the mid frequencies. For reference, I'm playing a Tele into Fenders and Voxes.

So, here are my questions:

1) Will the Fromel Shape EQ be able to tame the high-end fizz of the OCD and give me the punchy mids and sustain I need for leads? please no tubescreamer recommendations...I'm really just curious whether or not the Shape EQ (or other EQ) can do this
2) Can the Shape EQ give me more clarity on my cleans without the icepick? I LOVE the cleans on my BFDR, but there are times I could use a TAD more warmth and clarity.
3) For those of you who do use the Shape EQ with an OCD or comparable drive pedal, do you like it before or after your overdrive?
4) I've heard that the OCD can be a hit or miss with buffered pedals...for those of you who do use it with the Fromel, do you use it in buffered bypass mode?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated!
Can't speak for the Frommel but I have an MXR EQ pedal in the loop and have used it with an OCD, Crunchbox, fuzz pedals.
If the Frommel is a good EQ pedal the answers to your Qs are
yes
yes
yes
don't know

plus it should do another 1000 different and useful tone shaping jobs
Amplification - Mesa Boogie Express 5:50, Egnater Rebel 30, Roland Cube 60, MarkBass cmd 102p, 2x12 cab.
Effects - Analog Pedal Boards.
Recording - Fast Track Ultra & Sonar 8SE
Check out my Soundclick page @ http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=792315
Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

funny this came up. i just got an empress paraeq that i just tried behind my ocd. after much debating whether i needed it, i dont know how i was playing without it. i found myself falling out of love with my ocd, and bought the eq for my other drives i was using, but i tried it after my ocd and rekindled it for me! its really amazing what a good eq can do. im actually using mine to scoop out some of the slop in the mids, but it definitely tightens.

i dont think youll be disappointed.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I used a Fromel Shape after my OCD (to pump up the mids) with good results. Then I bought a Wampler Plextortion and it knocked both of those pedals off my board.
Good Deals (Post #713):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...0#post17979140
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleweed View Post
funny this came up. i just got an empress paraeq that i just tried behind my ocd. after much debating whether i needed it, i dont know how i was playing without it. i found myself falling out of love with my ocd, and bought the eq for my other drives i was using, but i tried it after my ocd and rekindled it for me! its really amazing what a good eq can do. im actually using mine to scoop out some of the slop in the mids, but it definitely tightens.

i dont think youll be disappointed.
this is good to know...i've heard great things about the empress as well!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I've used an OCD v4 with a Boss GE-7, and it sounded great, with EQ before and after the OCD. I was bumping up the mids mainly. Out of all the dirt pedals I've had, I think the OCD is the most easily shaped with an EQ, which I think is due to its mostly flat frequency response. I think it would great be with any EQ.

I've been debating getting an Empress ParaEQ for a couple months, I think I'm gonna have to do it eventually, it looks like the ultimate EQ to me. The Shape looks nice to, but the ParaEQ's tweakability is attractive to me. I'd basically be using it as a dirt pedal.