Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Sound Hound Lounge

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Maybe ya'll know this already, but Dave Gonzalez GAVE that tele Flemming from the custom shop made him to Laura Chavez recently..........sounds great in both their hands.

Duke, I've been interested in that Semaphore for a while now..........any tone suck issues with that?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed B View Post
Duke, I've been interested in that Semaphore for a while now..........any tone suck issues with that?
None..and I'm SUPER-PICKY about the tone suck!!! If you grab the new tap tempo version, please report back...especially the sine wave feature!

Great deals with dewman, matte, rickc007, patchesprescott, desena, losvarmits, spyeman, padols, twofeets, valcotone, jetlag and many others!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmontz View Post
What is a good trem pedal? I've had to do some rig re-vamping and probably will just be using tweed amps. I haven't owned a pedal in over 10 years and the last two trem pedals that I had even heard of as good they don't even make anymore. Looking around there seems to be a ton of options.....hard to sort through the chaff and really tell what is worth a crap just by listening to youtube clips. I could probably get by with just a great BF sounding trem but it might be nice to have other options too....I just wondered if anyone on here had one that they loved.
I'm happy with the Boss. Had a Voodoo Labs years ago. It was OK too.
The Boss is very intense and kind of compressor like in an odd way.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find the music in your soul.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
What is a good trem pedal? I've had to do some rig re-vamping and probably will just be using tweed amps. I haven't owned a pedal in over 10 years and the last two trem pedals that I had even heard of as good they don't even make anymore. Looking around there seems to be a ton of options.....hard to sort through the chaff and really tell what is worth a crap just by listening to youtube clips. I could probably get by with just a great BF sounding trem but it might be nice to have other options too....I just wondered if anyone on here had one that they loved.
I had the tube tremolo from EHX (The Wiggler?) for several days on loan from a friend. It impressed the hell out of me. The only reason I didn't buy one was because I needed cash for medical bills at the time. I intend to buy one in the not so distant future.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:05 PM

Right now I am running the Fulltone Supa Trem. I like it ok, good but not amazing.

The thing with many of these new boutique trems is that they do a lot more than the old style trems. I am looking for the basic trem sounds of the black and brown Fenders and old Ampegs. When I get one of these trems with a lot of features, I start getting away from the classic sound I bought the trem for in the first place. Maybe its just me.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Noel,

I use the Monster Effects Swamp Thang, it totally nails the brownface tremolo sound. It gets that real swampy Magic Sam thing going on, and is also great for swamp rock stuff and slow country tunes (Silver Wings). I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

As for some other options, Fulltone Supa Trem is used to great effect by tremolo nuts like Bo Ramsey and Doug Pettibone. I owned the Voodoo Labs Tremolo for a while, it's ok, and sounds kinda like a DRRI tremolo. Tom used to swear by the Demeter tremolo, which is what Ry Cooder uses, it supposedly emulates a BF Twin Reverb style tremolo.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM

I also have a monster effects swamp thang (the new, small box version) and love it. I do have a problem with it though. It doesn't go slow enough for one tune we do. So I bought a blue bird EA trem, the small one that can double as a booster. I like it's sound as well, but have yet to use it on a gig. Noel, I'll let you know my take on it once I do. I also agree with the guys that the new version of the boss trem sounds good. I have not had to opportunity to try one but I noticed that was what Anson used the last time he was around these parts. I thought it sounded great. The new Boss trems purportedly don't have the volume drop issue the old ones have.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Clouds yell at me

Trying out my new little Olympus video/sound recorder a couple of nights ago. Thought you guys might like to see--er, hear is more accurate--some fresh Markowski, with a little Fell on the side.

Sorry it's so dark, but John likes to keep the lights down, and it's actually not much brighter in reality. Sound is a bit clipped too, but not bad for point and shoot right out of the box. I have to read the instructions!
I might know a couple things that you don't know, because I've been young, but you ain't never been old!--Elvin Bishop
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzvil View Post
just watched the clips of Obama singing Sweet Home Chicago-
good feeling to see blues in the White House. Hope it gets to stay...
I had a short email from Slim a week ago, just sending a link, so I'm trying to get a reply from him and hear directly how he's doing.
Nick I am really worried about. That is a brutal cancer, and when it's coming back at a young person, that is not good. He really needs our prayers or mojo or whatever we can send him. As some of you know, we lost a great friend and guitar player to tongue cancer a few years back, Dave Bernstein. San Francisco monster jazz and blues player and teacher.
I think the Watson guitar looks pretty darn cool- and I never went for all those boat-paddles y'all are so crazy about ;-)
As to Work Song, I don't know if that's me on it, need a hard copy with liners. I think so. Yeah a lot of these guys don't want to solo over the rhythm changes- but they should ;-)
News is that Candye Kane has also a recurrence of her pancreatic cancer. Life is precious , play from the heart.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post
Trying out my new little Olympus video/sound recorder a couple of nights ago. Thought you guys might like to see--er, hear is more accurate--some fresh Markowski, with a little Fell on the side.

Sorry it's so dark, but John likes to keep the lights down, and it's actually not much brighter in reality. Sound is a bit clipped too, but not bad for point and shoot right out of the box. I have to read the instructions!
Nice!
Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
'53 ES-175
'64 ES-330
'64 Silvertone Jupiter
Parts Tele w/ Don Mare pickups

'96 Matchless Chieftain 1x12 combo
'54 Fender Deluxe
'01 Alessandro Beagle and Alessandro English
'61 Gibson G8 Discoverer
Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post

John Marx is an awesome Dude! very humble cat and great player!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Clouds yell at me

Got one more, this is one is extra cool--the performance I mean.

I might know a couple things that you don't know, because I've been young, but you ain't never been old!--Elvin Bishop
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks again everybody for the trem pedal suggestions. I've been listening to trem pedal clips all day! I'll have to post some clips and some pics when I decide on something and get my rig up to speed!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks again everybody for the trem pedal suggestions. I've been listening to trem pedal clips all day! I'll have to post some clips and some pics when I decide on something and get my rig up to speed!

check this out. its a DIY, cheap pedal but great sounding tremolo. I have been using this on my rig for a while now. very warm sounding tremolo.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Supporting Member

Yeah, that's the GGG one that I built... I tweaked it a little, added a switch to enable/disable the boost, and added an extra speed control & switch... and made up some fun graphics for it.

Renovation Blues Band