Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Keeley Modded TS9/DS1/MT2/BD2...thoughts?

I've heard a lot of good things about these pedals, have yet to hear one in action. Can anyone recommend me one to try out or something that might spark my interest? I recently picked up an Ampeg VT-22 and would like to get a nice plexi style over drive out of a pedal. A lot of people rave about the TS9 but I'm open to anything.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:21 PM

I own 3/4 of those pedals. Don't care much for the DS1. The TS9 is nice and really good for crunchy rythm. The BD is good and seems a little smoother to my rig, good tone on both TS9 and BD. Of course it depends on where you set the knobs but I find the TS9 more raspy, BD more bottom heavy and smooth.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM

Thanks man. I'm still getting used to this VT-22. I've never had so much clean head room! I just need to get my overdriven sounds right and I'll be blowing people's faces off.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I've had the SD-1 and BD-2. Both great. The SD-1 was indistinguishable from the FD2 vintage mode, and the BD-2's phat switch is DA BOMB. Always toy with the idea of another Keeley BD-2, I just love that switch so much.

FWIW, I've also had the Keeley Sparkle Drive. Not my favorite, but still good... I just much preferred the SD1/BD2.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Wrinkled Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I have a Keeley TS808 and love it because of the true bypass and real footswitch. Doesn't hurt that it sounds killer too.

Great deals with: voojo, macmeda, shooterKC, GAT, Suproman77, localmotion411, localmotion411, 2Strats, Jazzydave (x2), Puckman, rockinrobbie, zzzzzzz, Falstaff, buckwild, JohnCovach, Jack Briggs, twang, strat6866, and so many other people I can't remember them all.

My Writing Blog (Dogs, Guitars, etc.):
http://www.gad.net/Blog/
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

I've had the BD2, SD1, and TS9. The BD2 with the phat switch is the best Blues Driver mod I've heard. It makes it fatter and more punchy. Doesn't add the mid hump that the TS9 has.

The SD1 is an improvement over stock. less bleed through the bypass, and smoother. Mine is the 5 star GE with the swappable IC's. I liked it with the burr brown.

I don't have the TS9, but the TS9DX Flexi which has both Baked and Mod+. It's the most versatile tubescreamer out there. True bypass, improved modes, and more usable modes of the DX. Baked mod is more high gain, and the Mod+ is a cleaner sound with mids. Just an awesome pedal.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

The MT-2 twlight zone mod is a big improvement IMO.
I also had the TS9 mod plus it was a good too.

Good Deals HERE> http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...&postcount=549
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I had the SD-1 a long time ago; I remember it still being a bit noisy, but a very nice tone/feel.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

My BD-2 rocks. So fat and big sounding.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I've owned all 4 and thought that they were great improvements over the manufacturer versions. I still have the TS-9 although it is not on my board right now. The others were still good but I couldn't justify having dozens of dirt pedals and my frequent GAS has made it difficult to hang on to everything. One thing that I really liked about the mods over the factory versions is that they were much quieter when engaged especially the DS and the MT. Also they have way more bottom end which I like.
Excellent TGP transactions with williamh, mindseye, wondermoose, americanmonk, gtrguy17, Sir Douglas T, IRG, Jazzydave, gkelm, lgehrig4, porsch8, Pole With Soul, guitardr, Tube Guy, orange worker, gdomeier, lookitsmarc, Jamo71, BeeVee, tooter007, dnegreiro, GBStratman, WILLIEKENDRICK, gabijaja, Farbulous, dohootowl, gsr007, crxshdxmmy, Dion, Ipressthebutton, Thunderstruckk, Tonedover and many more
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Another Keeley BD-2 love thread, another recommendation for the Monte Allums "Blues Stack" modded BD-2.

There really is no love for Monte on TGP and it's a crying shame.

I've played mine stock, I've owned a Keeley, I've recently acquired an Analogman that I'm presently testing against my Monte BD-2.....

To me, they don't compare. Monte's mod is the most balanced, best sounding, and cheapest tweak of the BD-2 out there.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Silver Supporting Member

I currently use a Keeley Mod Plus TS9. It's wonderful.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

My favorites are the Keeley modded BD-2 and TS-9 mods.

Robert went over the top with my BD-2 and made it a Fuzz Freak, with the addition of 2 extra ge trannies-instant Warren Haynes!

Also, my Keeley TS-9 mod collection includes the Keeley Franken Screamer: 2 switchable modes (TS-9 plus and Baked Mod) and the added boost option with volume control.

Robert Keeley named the Baked mod after my last name, but I receive, nor want, anything from any sales/mods by Robert.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 AM

I've owned the BD-2, TS-9 and DS-1 as modded by Keeley, as well as their stock counterparts. They are all excellent at what they do, with the BD-2 being a particular favorite. If you don't have a TS-9 type pedal, I'd recommend starting there, with the BD-2 a very close second.
Bunch of pedals > Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 / Axe-FX > Peavey Classic 60/60
Good Emporium deals with: Teahead, berdahl, cptnhook, darkroom, silencer eleven, AmplifyMe, cdaloia, Realfi, Seegs, Rocketfire Guitars, Tomo, Prititing, NashVox, Pulse, Bazaboy33, A-Bone