Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Acoustic Instruments

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Martin OMCPA4 vs OMC-16GTE (vs Taylor 314ce vs OOO-C16GTE)

I really want to get a Martin and tried the OPCPA4. The neck feels good. The price is great. But then I saw OMC-16GTE only and looks like they are pretty much the same except pickups? Do they sound the same acoustically? I have no store that stocks the later in my area.

After I tried the OPCPA4 I then tried the Taylor 314ce. Sounds way better but I really want to buy a Martin. Would the OMC-16GTE sounds closer to the 314ce? Or maybe the Siris or Rosewood version of the OPCPA4?

Has anyone tried all of the guitars mentioned above?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by kingdavidy2k; 04-12-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 AM

Personally, i think it is dumb to buy a brand name...you need to buy a sound....that being said, i too have always wanted a martin due to their sound. I'm buying a Taylor, and hoping the playability and plugged in tone is good enough to keep me happy and not have to re-sell it and get a martin......

I just last night played a taylor 314CE and a Martin OMCPA4. My $.02 from just playing them. (with a STRONG Martin bias going in) I didn't connect with the OMCPA4, the 314ce felt great, sounded great, though a bit bright for my taste, but it had elixirs on, which to me are always a bright string), played a 214ce and didn't like it at all felt cheaply made (which I guess the 3 series is the first with solid wood, so it is made better, didn't know that till last night).....i wish i could have compared the OMC-16GTE last night as well, but they were out of them....from my memory, i liked it a ton, and i remember playing it against a taylor 414CE and loving the deep tone of the martin more!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Supporting Member

Great thanks for your input.
I found a store that stocks the OMC-16GTE and the OMCPA4. So I'm gonna try them today. I'm not really expecting any major or in fact any different at all acoustically as looking at the specs from Martin's website, they are identical minus the slight different neck profile.

The one think that bothers me a bit about the 314ce is I found the sound is slightly too bold - something about the higher mid freq. It's good and not so good at the same time. I wish it's a but more relaxed but I do like the clarity of it.

I also found a store that still has a 000-C16GTE which again pretty much the same specs with the other 2 Martins but with narrower 1 11/16 nut width and genuine Mahogany back and sides. This would be my biggest hope. None of the stores stock Taylors though so it'll be a bit hard to do direct comparison.

If anyone else could chime in on the guitars mentioned it would be much appreciated. I'll post my review after I tried the guitars.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 AM
Supporting Member

Here's my report:
OMCPA4 and GPCPA4: Ehh sounds like a can. Hollow and not at all impressed.
OMC-16GTE: A lot warmer, better clarity, great mid to mid high resonance. Kinda reminds me of a Taylor. Strings were a bit old though. Definitely on my list at first. The Bass is ok but I guess the OMs aren't meant to have Dreadnought type of Bass response - which I found later than the sound I'm actually after is a dreadnought sound. I play mostly strumming and likes 1 11/16 nut width better then 1 3/4. I guess I always liked the looks better on OMs but really sound wise, it's dreadnought for me. Never really a big fan on how dreadnought looks though. But in the end I choose to follow my ears.

Now there were 2 types of DC-16GTE I tried in 2 different stores.
-One with Roland COSM electronics. Acoustically ok, the bass was better than the OM but somehow its lacking warmth? It was AU$2,099. Retailed at AU$2,799 (Australia)
-Then I went to a different store and found another DC-16GTE. But this one is with Fishman electronics - not sure what type but it has 4 or maybe 5 band eq/volume?
It was retailed $3,799 and for sale for $2,495. I'm not sure what this is and why it's way more expensive than the other one?
But acoustically this one is a clear winner for me. Really good low end response, great warmth and nice sparkle on the high end. It feels like 1 11/16 nut width. Fits my hands really nice. Really inspiring to play.

But I'm a bit confused about the price? The other guitars in the store seems to match up with US$ but not sure why this one is so expensive? Is there a special model to the DC-16GTE? I checked there is Premium type but that's still under $2,000?

Can anyone shine a light on this matter? I'm set to get the guitar but the pricing holds me back

I didn't get a change to try the 000C16GTE as it was sold.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 PM

It's too bad you didn't get to try the 000C-16. I've got an older one, a '92. It's a great guitar. The first time I picked it up I knew it was for me. I think that mahogany has the best tone for smaller bodied acoustics. I've played a couple of the composite guitars. Although they played fine, The tone didn't impress me.