Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

KJL Dirty 30

Just picked one up in a trade. I remember some years back a local store was stocking a few. Not sure if I ever played one but I thought they looked nice. The amp I have is a brown "cowboy" tolex head. What really shines about this amp is the three position mid switch. All three are very usable and doesn't change the overall feel or vibe of the amp when switching between the three. Playing with the preamp and master controls can be fun when finding that perfect spot between clean and dirt. Two things I like best about this amp....1) The amp with both master and preamp turned all the way up remains tight, punchy and clear. No mushy notes......very responsive and clear. 2) The amp is very quiet.....I'm one of those players that hate amp hiss or hums. This one is pretty darn quiet. I can see where some people have said the amp wasn't as loud as they would have liked. To me it is plenty loud enough and I wonder if Kenny would have squeezed a bit more volume out of the amp, would the clear articulate notes when wide open be compromised. For me there is no need for a dirt pedal.....I'm using a delay and the guitar volume. Would be interesting to hear other Dirty 30 users input as well......what tubes have you tried or setting suggestion!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Shameless shill bump/resurrection--I have one of these with the same tolex up in the Emporium, check it out!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I had one of these about 10 years ago. It was red with a black faceplate with red knobs. Kinda would like to revisit it.
They used to be quite the bargain. I think I had less than $600.00 in mine.

2010 Danocaster 'T', 97 PRS McCarty Goldtop, Dr. Z Z28, Dr. Z Carmen Ghia 1x10 Combo, Dr. Z Mini, various pedals and sundries via Empress, Dunlop, Xotic, Lovepedal, TC Electronic and Pedaltrain....
Old 08-20-2013, 04:17 PM

I know a guy that used to play one around here. Band called The Tomatoes. It sounded good but I think he played a dirt pedal through it clean. His tone was kinda trebly back then.