Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

View Poll Results: Which combination would you choose?
Eventide Timefactor & Space 50 40.32%
Strymon Timeline & BlueSky 74 59.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

OPINION: Eventide Timefactor & Space -VS- Strymon Timeline & BlueSky?

Just like the heading says, I'm wanting your biased or unbiased opinions on which combo is better and why.

Eventide Timefactor & Space - or - Strymon Timeline & Blue Sky?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM

I choose the Strymon Timeline & Eventide Space combo. Why? They just work really well together and give me what I want.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Strymon Timeline and Flint Reverb/Trem. The timeline sounds amazing and of all the reverb pedals i've owned (including the Bluesky) the Flint is the most natural sounding of them all. You can still get super ambient with it and you get a great trem as well.

Not sure if anyone else would agree but the more I mess with ambient textures I find that focusing on delays rather than reverb seems to yield the best results. I still use reverb but tend to have a lower mix setting to help soften the attacks of the delay lines rather than add another dimension.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binaural View Post
I choose the Strymon Timeline & Eventide Space combo. Why? They just work really well together and give me what I want.
+1, if Strymon did a reverb version of the timeline, I'd be all over it.

But if I have to vote, I'd go TL + BSR
Taylor DN3 w/ K&K Pure Mini
Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus82 View Post
Strymon Timeline and Flint Reverb/Trem. The timeline sounds amazing and of all the reverb pedals i've owned (including the Bluesky) the Flint is the most natural sounding of them all. You can still get super ambient with it and you get a great trem as well.

Not sure if anyone else would agree but the more I mess with ambient textures I find that focusing on delays rather than reverb seems to yield the best results. I still use reverb but tend to have a lower mix setting to help soften the attacks of the delay lines rather than add another dimension.
I'd probably disagree with this.. but it's really a fine line between what constitutes delay and what constitutes reverb, so I under why people's opinions vary.

to answer op, I'd go timefactor and space. here are some arguments as to why:
  • it's probably cheaper
  • you get tons of knobs to tweak both the TF and space to do whatever you want
  • space more or less serves as a delay and reverb pedal.. so you're actually sorta getting two delay pedals and one insane reverb
  • space offers sounds I haven't heard in any other pedal
  • both can be synced/controlled via midi
  • both are readily available
  • eventide is constantly offering software updates for both

obviously this is just my opinion. the timeline is a very, very cool pedal.. but I just don't use delay enough to justify having it, especially when a timefactor can be found for about half the price on the used market and has more than an adequate level of functionality. blue sky is also a very cool pedal, but the space just does soooo much more and costs about the same used.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

There is no "better." They have very different capabilities and uses.

The Eventide algorithms are based on their earlier studio boxes (like the H3000 HD I had for years in my studio) that were designed to do a vast number of things, from tame to off-the-chart synthy stuff.

The Strymon stuff is oriented toward duplicating more traditional guitar effects.

So what do you want to do with the pedals?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Strymon.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aporcelainsky View Post
to answer op, I'd go timefactor and space. here are some arguments as to why:
  • it's probably cheaper
  • you get tons of knobs to tweak both the TF and space to do whatever you want
  • space more or less serves as a delay and reverb pedal.. so you're actually sorta getting two delay pedals and one insane reverb
  • space offers sounds I haven't heard in any other pedal
  • both can be synced/controlled via midi
  • both are readily available
  • eventide is constantly offering software updates for both

The whole reason I'm heavily considering going back to the Timefactor (I have a Strymon Timeline) is the Midi Clock Sync capabilities. I'm going to be purchasing a JHV3 Midi Master Tap when they are available and it will allow me to sync non-midi delays/verbs/trems with midi-clock enabled pedals. So if I want BPM to come out of my main delay pedal with Presets for songs then it has to be Timefactor since Strymon has said multiple times that they wont be adding MidiClock out. So I'm leaning towards Timefactor/Space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
There is no "better." They have very different capabilities and uses.
The Eventide algorithms are based on their earlier studio boxes (like the H3000 HD I had for years in my studio) that were designed to do a vast number of things, from tame to off-the-chart synthy stuff.
The Strymon stuff is oriented toward duplicating more traditional guitar effects.
So what do you want to do with the pedals?
I'm playing mainly Worship such as Elevation Worship and Ambient type music such as All The Bright Lights. I really do love my Strymon Timeline but as I said before, I am really wanting the MidiClock Functionality so I'm trying to navigate if it is worth the switch to Eventide just for that or should I just manage without MidiClock.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjanssen View Post
My impression is that the Strymon stuff is maybe a bit more "natural" but the Eventide stuff is a bit "wilder".
I think you hit it right on the money. Strymon is a level up from line 6 in digital recreations but as trendy as that may be ther are things that you just can't do with Strymon. Eventide is just better at creating new sounds (does strymon have anything close to mangleVerb??). Ex. the Flint is a recreation of tremolo and reverb circuits of amps BUT Eventide's TremoloVerb is reverb into a tremolo. With one you're buying a sound and with the other your buying tools to make sounds.

- Premier Guitar Soundgarden Rig Rundown
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 AM

If you are going for the same manufacturer for the look, I wouldn't know which is better as they have different niches.

I'd say Timeline and Space though.
FaceBook: facebook.com/atlasbandsg
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
^This +2^

the 'organic, warm' sounds the Timeline emits sound great with the 'polished' Space. really a matched pair.

http://ikiru.bandcamp.com/ -mathy, post-rocky, Bible Rock
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

Eventide's Space pedal is the best pedal I own. It just sounds amazing and has inspired me to write more music than any other pedal. Heck, even my wife and father-in-law dig the pedal's tones.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Eventide Space has one of the best interfaces for a multieffect and has a wide arrange of sounds. For just a little more coin it provides a lot more sounds over the Blue Sky Reverb. I really don't like the BSR having one preset switch, I would almost prefer it have none than just a tease with one.

As for the delays, the Timeline is an amazing digital delay multieffect. Timefactor never really sounded great to my ears, but only in demos never in person, but nothing on it stood out to interest me in owning one.

I recommend the Space and Timeline, having owned both. You would be set with that great combo. Then you would just delete your account here and move on with life. Don't look back.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Yep
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Member of no importance

i agree, timeline and space combo