Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Has anyone used the dirt cheap Weber Signature 8" speakers for a Champ?

My SF Vibro Champ speaker tore recently and I'm looking for a replacement that won't break the bank - I have a WGS G8C but am not crazy about it, it's a far cry from the original speaker that was there and it sounds very agressive and not nearly as smooth. I'm looking for mellow low volume cleans. I only use this amp around the house and don't really feel like putting tons of cash into it.

I found a lot of love on TDPRI for the following:
http://www.music123.com/accessories/...watt-8-speaker

They're so cheap. Michael Swart uses them in the SpaceTone 6v6SE. I want to believe, and will probably just grab one for $25 bucks, but wanted to know if there are any users here?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I stuck the Alnico Weber 8" sig in my Champ 600 and I love it.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM

I tried the WGS and have the same basic opinion on it as you. Based on that, and what you seem to be looking for, I highly recommend this:

http://w.mawebcenters.com/midwestspe...r-speaker.html

It's basically a Jensen P8R clone...great smooth clean.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:51 PM

I've heard those in a Champ and they are nice, especially for the $. That said, I prefer the 8A100 or 8A125, but they are pricey.

Excellent TGPers Roster (founded 2011): http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=10810169#post10810169
Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM

All the ceramics I tried had a certain kind of pushy aspect to them. Whatever you choose, I suggest alnico for the Champ.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 PM

I've had a silverface Fender Champ for years, I never really liked it too much. I always wanted to do a bunch of mods to it to bring some life in to it. Its cleans were kinda thin, there were no mids, if you turned it up too much it would flub out something ugly, and it did not take pedals well. I guess I left it alone because it was in such nice condition and I didn't want to molest such a clean vintage amp. One day I was messing with it and decided to take the speaker out (don't really know why) and the speaker surround was 'bonded' with the baffle board - wound up tearing the speaker. Not the end of the world, I had been planning on replacing the speaker so I went ahead and ordered a replacement.

I slapped in the Weber 8inch alnico blue pup and that little champ became my most used amplifier. It's what I grab on my way to a jam (unless I know there's a loud drummer), and essentially become the only amp I use when practicing at home. Changing the speaker cured all the complaints I had with the amp in its original form. Now I can turn it up and enjoy the single-ended overdrive without the speaker giving out and imparting ugly cone distortion over the top. It suddenly handles pedals being in front of it without mushing up. The cleans are crisper while being fuller, I could go on and on.

I've had nothing but good experiences from Weber speakers, I'm a total fanboy. I'm sure their signature series is good, though I have no experience with them. The alnico blue pup improved my silverface champ in every single way, I can't stress that enough.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep618 View Post
My SF Vibro Champ speaker tore recently and I'm looking for a replacement that won't break the bank - I have a WGS G8C but am not crazy about it, it's a far cry from the original speaker that was there and it sounds very agressive and not nearly as smooth. I'm looking for mellow low volume cleans. I only use this amp around the house and don't really feel like putting tons of cash into it.

I found a lot of love on TDPRI for the following:
http://www.music123.com/accessories/...watt-8-speaker

They're so cheap. Michael Swart uses them in the SpaceTone 6v6SE. I want to believe, and will probably just grab one for $25 bucks, but wanted to know if there are any users here?
yes, it is a great replacement, have a friend that did the same with his SF Champ and it was an excellent replacement, just what the dr. ordered, say goodbye to $25
Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
4 Holer 4 Life Member

the 8A100 or 8A125 are well worth the coin, I use them in my small amps,
they will also fit into a tweed champ, all you do is move the OT over to the other side of the chassis and it fits right in. The holes are already pre-drilled from the factory, so you are using the holes that are there. I have the 8A100 3.2 ohm in the Tweed Champ. Sell something, save-up, get the ALNiCo 100 or 125.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I have one in a tweed champ clone. I'm very happy with it. The Weber sig series just seems so... right with tweed amps, so natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.Fuzz View Post
Sounds like having sex while eating a greasy cheeseburger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty2strat View Post
happiness is a warm marshall ...Lennon got it wrong
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Thanks for all the answers guys, I'm think I'm gonna go ahead and grab one of the Alnicos...any opinions on the smooth versus ribbed cone?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Smooth cone - earlier breakup
Ribbed cone - later breakup

I choose smooth.

Good deals with RickyKing, spats, tylerfreak, mam8dg, PotterPicker, and many others.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM

I have an 8" Weber alnico sig speaker in my SFVC and I dig it. No thoughts about changing it.

I think the main thing about smooth cone vs ribbed cone is that the smooth cone is going to break up sooner and the ribbed cone will stay clean longer as you turn up the volume. (Don't quote me on that though.) So whichever you prefer.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macentropist View Post
Smooth cone - earlier breakup
Ribbed cone - later breakup

I choose smooth.
The ribbed cone lets her let go faster . . .
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderplatz View Post
I have an 8" Weber alnico sig speaker in my SFVC and I dig it. No thoughts about changing it.

I think the main thing about smooth cone vs ribbed cone is that the smooth cone is going to break up sooner and the ribbed cone will stay clean longer as you turn up the volume. (Don't quote me on that though.) So whichever you prefer.
Seriously folks, I ordered the ribbed cone since, in my C600, I'd already taken out the BF tone circuit so it's breaks up super fast to begin with.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM

I had a Sig 8 ceramic in my VC for a while and liked it, but replaced it with a 8A125 (I think) Weber, which is a keeper.

Good deals with: acwild; Jonturner; reddog112, vmjoe, Mick Braun, jgm, jakethesnake, aj633, philiprst, ecbluesman54