Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petimar View Post
What great customer service it is to offer a 30 day refund of all your money. That alone makes me want to try one.
Totally agree.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolfax View Post
Totally agree.
Me too.

I think that is smart, honest advertising. It takes moves like this to raise the playing field and we all benefit in the end.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Supporting Member

I'm a bit torn between the 8" and 12". I'm sure the 8" is loud enough for me, and I like the size, weight, and price. But if it sounds "boxy" then I'll have to step up to the 12". I play overdriven sounds > 90% of the time if that makes any difference.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM

I would start replying and all... But then I start sounding like a sales guy and well... I have too much respect for the good folks here to do that. Email me if you want to know details. chris@quilterlabs.com
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Supporting Member

Chris, I'm having trouble seeing your amps on your web page. My IPad doesn't allow a click on "Amplifiers" under "Products". This is true from any of your pages.

Anyone else having this problem?

http://www.Jazz-Mandolin.com
Instruction articles and videos on Jazz Mandolin
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Chris, I'm having trouble seeing your amps on your web page. My IPad doesn't allow a click on "Amplifiers" under "Products". This is true from any of your pages.

Works on my iPhone
Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolfax View Post
Did the overdrive in the Aviator clip sound better? Do you think a 12" speaker would have made a difference for you?
I want to be clear, Overdrive is the most subjective aspect there is about an amp. My ear isn't much suited to the kind of fizzy overdrives that I hear out of most pedals and solid state distortion. I like the sound of a Black face Fender Reverb amp, or a big Tweed on 8 - 10. So I'm not dissing the OD of the Quilter in any way. I'm saying it's Strawberry and I like Chocolate.

I do think the 12" would be more comfortable for me. It's also what I'm used to hearing.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
What great customer service it is to offer a 30 day refund of all your money. That alone makes me want to try one.
This is OUTSTANDING customer service. We can't hear these amps in a neighborhood store so ordering one is a bit more of a gamble for the consumer. This return policy takes the worry out of it. Too bad other amp brands won't do this.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:

From the front page, just click on the picture of the Aviator or the MicroPro P200.
Yes this is an annoying issue and we are working on it!
Sorry about that.
...and billyguitar, I hear you. If it doesn't sound like what you want, then it's not what you want. That is the real reason we have the 30 day no worries guarantee. I absolutely refuse to ever let anyone have an amp that doesn't work for them. I am a player too. I hate it when I buy gear and find out it isn't what I had hoped. So it has been our policy from day one. If you don't love it then you pay nothing and we do. Seems right to me.

Last edited by QuilterLabs; 04-04-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I am about > < this close to ordering the Aviator based on the demo's. here's what I would really like to know though. Maybe Quilterlabs will post a detailed response which may be useful to all of us (as I could not find the answer anywhere on their website)

1. Design wise, tone wise, performance wise... What makes Quilter different than other solid state designs known for going after tube-like sounds? (such as Pritchard, Evans, Pearce, Tech-21) ?

2. Is there 1 or more things that is really unique about Quilter as far as the design compared to other SS amps... something that you feel gives you an edge over the competition?

3. it says "200 watt engine" But I have seen some other posts on sites saying "100 watts per channel" Which is it? If I get a single 12 combo, is it going to be sending a full 200watts to the speaker... or 100?

I would appreciate more info such as this. Not asking for any secrets to be revealed.. just interested to know why Quilter is better & why I should choose your amp over some of the other offerings out there.

This may help me solidify my decision.
3rd Power American Dream, Bogner Shiva, KittyHawk, james trussart, greco, various custom tele's & LP's

Last edited by HillbillySims; 04-04-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Marketing for Quitler stuff is really odd.

First of all, nobody knows or cares who Patrick Quilter is. he's a great engineer that developed the QSC line of power amps (hence the Q in QSC). Quilter is going to market trying to position Patrick as some sort of Randall Smith or Dave Friedman persona. He doesn't really have a track record for guitar amplification, and what he's done in the power amp world doesn't really apply to guitar amps. Secondly, his image is just so.... I don't know. I'm not really interested in buying an amp from a company that thinks its a good idea to buy full page ads of Santa Clause standing in front of Airplanes.

The company is clearly backed and funded by QSC, so thats how they are bankrolling this, but until they get some real guitar players involved, they are just pissing money away.

The aesthetics on this line are a step in the right direction, but it might be to little too late.

Smooth, high dollar deals with: makemusic84, townsend, best_inside, ziehmrd, AzCat, diceksox1809, ozuna78, kebotrans, drock2k1
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

wow.. gonna pretend I didnt just read that post.. carry on
3rd Power American Dream, Bogner Shiva, KittyHawk, james trussart, greco, various custom tele's & LP's

Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I just want to add to the questions:

The XLR output in the back, is that supposed to be speaker emulated or equalized?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I reluctantly agree with McShred.
Good deals: guitarman_1, trixterq, gitarboy, snarkle, superchamp, drew816, DMod, deeval, supersonic1414, JSChwalls, rjd1guitar, operanonverba, hoffmanj, Csgband, Telebluze, Gavin, Dajbro, drneely, edwarddavis, c-dub, outtahear, readymade, dayn, & many others...
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM
10Q Jerry & Dickey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShred View Post
Marketing for Quitler stuff is really odd.

First of all, nobody knows or cares who Patrick Quilter is. he's a great engineer that developed the QSC line of power amps (hence the Q in QSC). Quilter is going to market trying to position Patrick as some sort of Randall Smith or Dave Friedman persona. He doesn't really have a track record for guitar amplification, and what he's done in the power amp world doesn't really apply to guitar amps. Secondly, his image is just so.... I don't know. I'm not really interested in buying an amp from a company that thinks its a good idea to buy full page ads of Santa Clause standing in front of Airplanes.

The company is clearly backed and funded by QSC, so thats how they are bankrolling this, but until they get some real guitar players involved, they are just pissing money away.

The aesthetics on this line are a step in the right direction, but it might be to little too late.
I disagree but not with your opinions per se. They're valid for you and as such I really can't disagree with them as an accurate reflection of your personal reaction to the marketing strategy.

I can only say that, for myself, it damn well makes a difference to my decisionmaking that one of the men who knows the most in the world about Class D amplification is turning his attention specifically to guitar amplification. Perhaps, for me, this reflects my status as a long-time Deadhead but I am long used to getting my power other than from tubes. In fact, my two current primary rigs use a McIntosh and a Rocktron for the power amps. So, for me, that Mr. Quilter is behind this venture is specifically what attracts my attention from the start and why, once I raise some funds, I'm likely to buy one of these Quilters.

I think the Quilter web page is very well designed. It's got the info. I want in a variety of media formats. Well done!

I like the aesthetics of the new Aviator line. The MicroPro units leave me cold - they look like toys.

As for the marketing, what do I know - I think most guitar gear ads I see are asinine! At least the person you call "Santa" chose to model his amp and self with an airplane and not a scantily clad woman a third his age!
\_.--.(