Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hi HillBilly, I kind of don't want to bust into full manufacturer " we love ourself" talk.
I always hate seeing that in forums.
I will just say it as honestly and non sales-many as I can.
1) When you plug into a Quilter and play you will swear we are cheating somehow and there are tubes in there. It sounds like it, behaves like it, and feels like it.
2) It won't ever break down on you and if it does, I will send you a new one before you know what hit you. No hassles. Just good, honest service.
3) If I am full of it, I will personally see to it that we buy the amp back from you and even pay the shipping so that you won't be out one penny.

That work for you?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Tone is not paramount. I prefer the scantily clad women.
DISCLOSURE: My son Benny works at Bizarre Guitar in Reno PRS, Mesa, Orange, Fender Custom, Martin, etc. He will give you the bro' deal if you mention me, "Papa Jimmy" "Papa Sloves" "Tahoe Jim". His email is bennysloves@me.com
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM
10Q Jerry & Dickey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Me, too, but sans the geezer on the couch next to her.
\_.--.(
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShred View Post
Marketing for Quitler stuff is really odd.

First of all, nobody knows or cares who Patrick Quilter is. he's a great engineer that developed the QSC line of power amps (hence the Q in QSC). Quilter is going to market trying to position Patrick as some sort of Randall Smith or Dave Friedman persona. He doesn't really have a track record for guitar amplification, and what he's done in the power amp world doesn't really apply to guitar amps. Secondly, his image is just so.... I don't know. I'm not really interested in buying an amp from a company that thinks its a good idea to buy full page ads of Santa Clause standing in front of Airplanes.

The company is clearly backed and funded by QSC, so thats how they are bankrolling this, but until they get some real guitar players involved, they are just pissing money away.

The aesthetics on this line are a step in the right direction, but it might be to little too late.
I think I can respond from experience here, so if you don't mind my butting in...

People most certainly do know and care who Pat Quilter is and I am one of many.

Pat doesn't have to try to position himself as Randall Smith. He is Randall Smith of a different and dare I say probably more successful sort., therefore his accomplishments speak equally for themselves.

Dave Friedman is a longtime friend and while he certainly knows what a good Marshall sounds like, putting him in the same company as PQ and RS is a bit of a stretch and I know Dave will not mind my saying so.

I love the quirky marketing and knowing Pat, I can assure you it's no gimmick. Pat is brilliant, driven and has a unique sense of humor.

Track record? Are you serious? That Pat Quilter will ultimately be appreciated for his many contributions to music and the music industry is just a given, not a lofty prediction. He was making tube amps when RS was busy hanging out in tree-houses in Marin. QSC developments in SS power amps quietly set the bar for performance and reliability that other companies routinely take undue credit for. If you don't think those developments affect you, look around your home studio at those low cost SS power amps or powered monitors that you take for granted.

Bankrolled by QSC? I don't claim to know the financial details, but who the hell cares? You certainly don't seem to mind that Orange and Celestion are bankrolled by large corporations - Chinese ones at that. Quilter amps are MIUSA. Try starting from there as your buying criteria.

Is the right product for you? Maybe not. But they're sure making it easy and affordable to find out.

And since you obviously missed it - not Santa, it's Howard Hughes. And Pat's brother is a successful commercial pilot so again, the connection is legit.

And by the way, Pat doesn't need my help. This post just set me off, so my apologies. Sometimes I can't help myself...

Last edited by sfryette; 04-04-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
10Q Jerry & Dickey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Well said.
\_.--.(
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM

I prefer the new aesthetics over the other series for sure. I'd also love to be one of the first to try these, but this is the unfortunate time of year where I must send large chunks of $$ to the tax man and insurance companies, leaving me a bit tight fisted for awhile.

Maybe later this summer I will take the plunge. Until then, I look forward to hearing more about them from early adopters.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

First of all, I'm a big fan of your amps, lets get that out of the way first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfryette View Post
People most certainly do know and care who Pat Quilter is and I am one of many.
Most musicians would not know. You're an amp maker by trade, knowledge like that is in your wheelhouse. The average buyer wouldn't know. I'm probably much more versed in amps than the average buyer, and I did not know who Patrick was.
Quote:
Pat doesn't have to try to position himself as Randall Smith. He is Randall Smith of a different and dare I say probably more successful sort., therefore his accomplishments speak equally for themselves.
Patricks accomplishments in pro audio might not be such common knowledge to the guitar buying public. Maybe a CV including list of patents, etc.. in fine print on some of those full page ads would help get the word out.
Quote:
Dave Friedman is a longtime friend and while he certainly knows what a good Marshall sounds like, putting him in the same company as PQ and RS is a bit of a stretch and I know Dave will not mind my saying so.
Dave is also a friend. I was just throwing out names that people are familiar with in the amp world, it could have just as easily been your name, the Ultralead was a pretty groundbreaking amp

Quote:
I love the quirky marketing and knowing Pat, I can assure you it's no gimmick. Pat is brilliant, driven and has a unique sense of humor.
I think the quirky is doing them a disservice. The first generation of amps looked like toys, then you've got them with a picture of Patrick from the early 70's, the message wasn't clear. Who is this guy that I've never heard of? Oh, he's been making amps a really long time? Still never heard of him. I'm in advertising by trade. The marketing message isn't there. Never mind the execution or style... the message isn't getting through.
Quote:
Track record? Are you serious? That Pat Quilter will ultimately be appreciated for his many contributions to music and the music industry is just a given, not a lofty prediction. He was making tube amps when RS was busy hanging out in tree-houses in Marin. QSC developments in SS power amps quietly set the bar for performance and reliability that other companies routinely take undue credit for. If you don't think those developments affect you, look around your home studio at those low cost SS power amps or powered monitors that you take for granted.
my track record comments were specifically directed at his track record in the guitar amp world. I'm not sure there is a big correlation, at least in terms of marketing value, between having launched a line of revolutionary pro-audio products, and making guitar amps. Most crossover products like that that i can recall in the last 25 years have not lasted
Quote:
Bankrolled by QSC? I don't claim to know the financial details, but who the hell cares? You certainly don't seem to mind that Orange and Celestion are bankrolled by large corporations - Chinese ones at that. Quilter amps are MIUSA. Try starting from there as your buying criteria.
It makes no difference to me who bankrolls them. What I've found through years of experience, is that many times, large corporations are out of touch with what it takes to bring a new product to a crowded marketplace. They think that their success and legacy products give them an advantage and in reality its often a hindrance, as they aren't hungry, fast operating companies. They move slow, and if something isn't profitable quickly, it gets shelved. Throwing money at big full page ads that don't invoke even the slightest curiosity from a guy who spends thousands on gear every year seems like a bad idea. I can't tell you how many music companies I've seen vaporize after spending a ton on stupid ads, when they should have been researching their target market and coming to market with a solid value proposition. Somehow Dean has managed to remain, so I guess there are always exceptions
Quote:
Is the right product for you? Maybe not. But they're sure making it easy and affordable to find out.
Agreed, their return policy is pretty amazing.
Quote:
And since you obviously missed it - not Santa, it's Howard Hughes. And Pat's brother is a successful commercial pilot so again, the connection is legit.
The ad I saw in this months Guitar Player was Patrick standing in front of vintage airplanes. Didn't look like Howard Hughes, unless HH used to rock a full beard.
Quote:
And by the way, Pat doesn't need my help. This post just set me off, so my apologies. Sometimes I can't help myself...
Maybe it was my Santa Clause comments that set everyone off, I suppose that wasn't very nice on my end. I'll try to be more mindful of that sort of thing.

Smooth, high dollar deals with: makemusic84, townsend, best_inside, ziehmrd, AzCat, diceksox1809, ozuna78, kebotrans, drock2k1
Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Supporting Member

just listened to the demo vid on the 1st pg. Sounds ok. has a spongy tube-ish sound but the higher frequencies still sound metalic/solid-state to me.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Supporting Member

I'm curious.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Apologies if this should be strictly about the Aviation, but I have the Quilter Micropro 10" and it just blew me away, as well as everyone else that has heard it or played it. So I want people to know how good these amps are!

The cleans are really full, plummy and chimey, with loads of control and variables. Drive is never harsh to my ear, in comparison to a lot of killer tube amps I find the Quilter to be less fizzy actually. It sustains for days.

It get's incredibly loud. It also takes pedals better than anything I've heard, and so it's really musical. If you want an example of some nice singing sustain breakup tones that aren't harsh (and I'm not trying to promote me, but show off Quilter tones), check out the solo at 2.11 here, don't even listen to the rest of the song if you don't want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDx_S...layer_embedded

The producer on our record is a tone hound and despite initial skepticism when he saw the Quilter, he said he'll be ordering one soon. I think I might get him the Aviation if I can.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM

Oh and also, I had a fault with the first Quilter I received. I live close to Costa Mesa so I drove to Quilter Amps, and they gave me a new amp and paid my gas to get there. Great customer service, great team.

I also got to try the Aviation line while I was there (under strict secrecy haha), and I loved it. I nearly took one with me but couldn't afford it. I also nearly bought the extension cabinet - that thing is nice!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM

I have a Quilter amp and can tell you that it's fantastic. I love everything about it and would not hesitate to recommend one to any player looking for incredible tone in a light-weight package.

Last edited by Cooleyman; 04-07-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
First of all, I'm a big fan of your amps, lets get that out of the way first.
Thank you. I’m humbled.
Quote:
Most musicians would not know. You're an amp maker by trade, knowledge like that is in your wheelhouse. The average buyer wouldn't know. I'm probably much more versed in amps than the average buyer, and I did not know who Patrick was.
I hear there’s this newfangled intarwebz thingie that’s newkulur fast and chock full of amazing truths…
Quote:
Patricks accomplishments in pro audio might not be such common knowledge to the guitar buying public. Maybe a CV including list of patents, etc.. in fine print on some of those full page ads would help get the word out.
I’m sure they as a new entity have a lot on their plate in that regard.
Quote:
Dave is also a friend. I was just throwing out names that people are familiar with in the amp world, it could have just as easily been your name, the Ultralead was a pretty groundbreaking amp
Again, I am humbled.
Quote:
I think the quirky is doing them a disservice. The first generation of amps looked like toys, then you've got them with a picture of Patrick from the early 70's, the message wasn't clear. Who is this guy that I've never heard of? Oh, he's been making amps a really long time? Still never heard of him. I'm in advertising by trade. The marketing message isn't there. Never mind the execution or style... the message isn't getting through.
Interesting that they are being picked apart for demonstrating a legitimate legacy while other newer companies as well as artificially revived ones tout the accomplishments of “gurus” you’d never heard of with entirely manufactured histories taken as fact simply because it’s connected to a tube product or a more generally recognized long dead legacy brand offering product in no way related to their legacy. Examples abound...

That said, I’m now more interested in your ideas about marketing and messaging than in your critique of the subject at hand.
Quote:
my track record comments were specifically directed at his track record in the guitar amp world. I'm not sure there is a big correlation, at least in terms of marketing value, between having launched a line of revolutionary pro-audio products, and making guitar amps. Most crossover products like that that i can recall in the last 25 years have not lasted
Time and message refinement …
Quote:
It makes no difference to me who bankrolls them. What I've found through years of experience, is that many times, large corporations are out of touch with what it takes to bring a new product to a crowded marketplace. They think that their success and legacy products give them an advantage and in reality its often a hindrance, as they aren't hungry, fast operating companies. They move slow, and if something isn't profitable quickly, it gets shelved. Throwing money at big full page ads that don't invoke even the slightest curiosity from a guy who spends thousands on gear every year seems like a bad idea. I can't tell you how many music companies I've seen vaporize after spending a ton on stupid ads, when they should have been researching their target market and coming to market with a solid value proposition. Somehow Dean has managed to remain, so I guess there are always exceptions
Noted, but assumes the position (love this) that the company foundation is as you imagine it and that the new line is a crossover product. You are probably more sensitive to behind the curtain stuff than the average buyer in the same way you position me as more in the know on legacy.
Quote:
The ad I saw in this months Guitar Player was Patrick standing in front of vintage airplanes. Didn't look like Howard Hughes, unless HH used to rock a full beard.

Quote:
Maybe it was my Santa Clause comments that set everyone off, I suppose that wasn't very nice on my end. I'll try to be more mindful of that sort of thing.
Again, a very thoughtful response.
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

I tell you what.. just on customer service alone. I went ahead & ordered an Aviator. These guys have been a class act & answered all my questions via-email.

I will give a full report when she rolls in.
Bogner Shiva, Lab Series L5, DevilCat, KittyHawk, james trussart, greco, various custom tele's & LP's

Old 04-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

This is my next amp. I have only heard of Quilter through the review of the Micro Pro and the Aviator announcement from Premier Guitar. So I guess the marketing does speak to me at least.