Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm pretty sure he's referring to a well known builder (that makes Marshall style amps) that uses these odd choices for names for his amps.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShred View Post
Marketing for Quitler stuff is really odd.

First of all, nobody knows or cares who Patrick Quilter is. he's a great engineer that developed the QSC line of power amps (hence the Q in QSC). Quilter is going to market trying to position Patrick as some sort of Randall Smith or Dave Friedman persona. He doesn't really have a track record for guitar amplification, and what he's done in the power amp world doesn't really apply to guitar amps. Secondly, his image is just so.... I don't know. I'm not really interested in buying an amp from a company that thinks its a good idea to buy full page ads of Santa Clause standing in front of Airplanes.

The company is clearly backed and funded by QSC, so thats how they are bankrolling this, but until they get some real guitar players involved, they are just pissing money away.

The aesthetics on this line are a step in the right direction, but it might be to little too late.
WRONG

guess that was a bit harsh
but
i grew up in Costa Mesa and along with many of the bands and players in Orange County played and loved Pat's tube amps in the 60's
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Supporting Member

And regardless, doesn't it make more sense to talk about these new amps?!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petimar View Post
Chris, I'm having trouble seeing your amps on your web page. My IPad doesn't allow a click on "Amplifiers" under "Products". This is true from any of your pages.

Anyone else having this problem?
You have to click on the pictures of the amps on that picture collage.
I too had that problem with my Ipad.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 PM

I kinda like the Middle Earth esthetic of the MicroPro and those Napa Valley ads....

But for those of you that don't, they went and fixed it. What's not to like about that?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySims View Post
I am about > < this close to ordering the Aviator based on the demo's. here's what I would really like to know though. Maybe Quilterlabs will post a detailed response which may be useful to all of us (as I could not find the answer anywhere on their website)

1. Design wise, tone wise, performance wise... What makes Quilter different than other solid state designs known for going after tube-like sounds? (such as Pritchard, Evans, Pearce, Tech-21) ?

2. Is there 1 or more things that is really unique about Quilter as far as the design compared to other SS amps... something that you feel gives you an edge over the competition?

3. it says "200 watt engine" But I have seen some other posts on sites saying "100 watts per channel" Which is it? If I get a single 12 combo, is it going to be sending a full 200watts to the speaker... or 100?

I would appreciate more info such as this. Not asking for any secrets to be revealed.. just interested to know why Quilter is better & why I should choose your amp over some of the other offerings out there.

This may help me solidify my decision.
I own the Micropro 200 and just sold my Victoria Bassman and Musicman rd50 , which i swore Id never sell.
It does sound very tube- like! But maybe a slight more compressed than a tube amp.
The EQ knobs work great. I have the little 8" combo and the mids and treble are useable throughout thier range. The bass can really thump. So much so that u would prob never have it fully cranked. All EQ knobs at 12 noon is pretty much a well balanced tone foundation. You can add or take away from there.
The cleans slightly beat out my Musicman Rd50 cleans. Especially cranked. The MM got harsh and solid statey cranked. The Quilter maintains and stays together and breaks up just past 1:00. But the breakup really sounds nice. The Micropro has a fair amount of headroom as well.
I wrote in anther TGP thread about the gain channel sounding very nice and i could even get the gain to sound very very similar to my Red Snapper & Dirty Little Secret v1 drive pedals. I read from a post that the drive can be fizzy. I disagree. I found it fairly tight. Maybe at very low volumes it sounds a bit looser, but with the volume up a bit it tightens nicely. It still sounds nice at low vol. but better cranked a bit.
The reverb sounds nice and can really really surf, but its voiced a bit bright IM
O.
The trem sounds nice but needs a depth knob.
Fx loop works nice and direct out for mic allows me to leave my mic at home.
Overall a great & powerful...for its size...little amp. 18 lbs for the 8" combo.
I run the clean vol around 11:00 for most wedding gigs I play w/horn section.

The tone balance of clean and drive is very balanced. The 2 nd drive channel sounds just like the clean ch. but with gain added as needed. The volumes match evenly too. Unlike many amps. So whatever number you are on with the clean ch., the gain ch. number is pretty much in the same setting. More gain will increase vol. a bit, but i use the Micropro for light rhytym gain and pedals to boost solos.
The Quilter isnt the be all,end all of amps, but its that trendy line...a "game changer" fo sho!

I havent tried the new Aviator. Im just describing the Micropro 200 8" combo.
But I was told they are pretty much voiced the same.

Last edited by XXTwighlight; 04-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Gold Supporting Member

Slightly OT, but I was awed by a guitar player/songwriter in the early 80s who played a Quilter Bantam amp. He made that amp just sing! He had a local/regional following here and we were all awed by his tone and playing. RIP Bob... (he also wrote some of Tommy Tutone's material).

It was in my possession once a while ago and needed servicing. Bill from Two Rock took care of it. He said, 'cool little amp'

jon
Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 AM

I played a Bantam for a couple of years
it was a cool little amp
Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

my aviator will be here Tuesday... lookin forward to it
3rd Power American Dream, Bogner Shiva, KittyHawk, james trussart, greco, various custom tele's & LP's

Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM
10Q Jerry & Dickey
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

We're looking forward to your full review!
\_.--.(
Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Supporting Member

Subscribed! I'm very interested in hearing the forthcoming reviews!
Great Deals with: john.pratt1321, wakkawakka, tonally cool, fe911, Fendert, bearbeams, jerryfan6, captain38, jccpraznman, harker1440, deltaphoenix, jhfire, guitarman_1, picnic, ryderuveze, gitarboy, guitarslinger21, doralin, JoaqStar, gear_freak, Guitarzandstuff, Phillip_H, Jamar, Power chord, RonSwanson, bendavis840, Whaletar, GenoBluzGtr, grapeshot, Vt58, pdavidso and more!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Supporting Member

I can't wait to hear some reviews on these. The 2-10 sounds interesting.
Good Deals with: themeanreds, Mike9, notyalcer, frisco, cheetah77, kriko71, strat222, Lt_Core, gitfiddler, JRestless, amphead777, James V, Danocaster, rmconnor80, M@2, turtleheadblues, jjones, Jbay555, Mrface 2112, Pedal Freak, puckhead, XKnight, Reinhardt Amps, Gasp100, Supergenius365, jetattblue, mfolet, Degle, michael.e, Reverb, arfalax, zzzzzzz, countandduke, NashVox, cholula69, lennon08, VintageToneGuy, stephenT, Windup 43, and many more.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Wonder if he will make a head version? Or is the amp line tied to the speakers in the cab in order to get the tube-like tone?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripoffriffs View Post
Wonder if he will make a head version? Or is the amp line tied to the speakers in the cab in order to get the tube-like tone?
Quilter does make a little 7 lb head for Micropro series.
I would assume they are coming out with a head for the Aviator model as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

quilter aviator 12 just arrived... I will test it out when I get home & maybe capture some recordings
3rd Power American Dream, Bogner Shiva, KittyHawk, james trussart, greco, various custom tele's & LP's