Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonneR View Post
yeah actually I believe its a silicon fuzz - but he plays it into a tube screamer (fulldrive)
That makes total sense - I didn't think his sound had the same amount of low end going as you'd typically get with a Ge Fuzz Face. A Si FF into a TS would not only smooth out those fizzy highs, it would cut the bass some too.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I think a tonebender nails that sound.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

To my ears, my old Crest FF gets me closer to Gary's fuzz tone than anything else I've tried. I believe the FoxRox Hot Silicon is based on the Crest (complete with BC109Cs), so that may be a good route to go. I recently tried the Euthymia Crucible, which is also supposedly based on the Crest, but didn't think it sounded quite as big and rich.

And of course I'm going to recommend the Overdriver here. When stacked with a good OD, it can get into FF land, but its tweakable eq helps it cut through a live band mix much better than a FF. Gary rules.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Supporting Member

If we can only pick between the '69 or Sunface, and the '69 is discontinued, then I'd say get the Sunface. It's great, and the only one you can be guaranteed to get.

One thing to consider is that he used that old Fuzzface into an old Blackface Deluxe Reverb, which to me is a bright sounding amp. If you have a darker sounding amp, then a silicon Fuzzface will get you there too. Be sure to get one with a bias control though for max control and dynamics. I really like the Hot Silicon and agree the Crucible is not as dynamic, big sounding, rich, or quiet.

Last edited by GuitarBrent; 12-06-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
klon free since 2009
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd richman View Post
... would you recommend the Fulltone '69 or Analog Man Sun Face for the Gary Louris fuzz sound as heard on several tracks on Hollywood Town Hall, etc. I am not interested in other fuzz clones just these 2 so please keep it to them.
Analog Man is a great pedal for that sound. Cleans up very well and equal to the tweaker powers of the '69.

I know you said....but MJM London for shorter money is quite a pedal and wicked loud. A lot of gas in this box.

But since you asked so nicely, Analog Man with the old germ and a sundial is THE ONE.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:07 PM
klon free since 2009
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/Jayha...ps,%20etc.html

Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Side Note: Haha, I love when guys quote a question from 2 years earliar. Makes me feel good when I'm not the one who misses something in a thread. That's a rarity. =)

I've been the tonebender/Germanium route before, and although I love the overdrive and fuzz (I REALLY LOVE THE OD), I found it to be: too noisy, too temp sensitive, too noisy, too bassy with an AC30, too noisy, and I found the 9volt options annoying. I don't like batteries and if a germ pedal allows for 9 volt adapter, it almost always requires its own seperate power source. Not an awful requirement, but not highly desirable.

I've been thinking about trying the Foxrox Hot Silicon for a while, so I may be diving in there first to see if it produces the right tone.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I've been thinking about trying the Foxrox Hot Silicon for a while, so I may be diving in there first to see if it produces the right tone.
There's one in the Emporium right now! You should jump on that (if you don't, I might!!). There's a link to a clip and it sounds really good....
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Had to resurrect this after watching the Jayhawks Austin City Limits show again tonight for at least the third time. I just can't get enough of Gary's SG tones, clean and dirty. It looked like he stayed on the bridge pup the whole time, rhythms and leads.

Anyone know what that amp was -- a creme colored DC-30?

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Old 04-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodster View Post
I just can't get enough of Gary's SG tones, clean and dirty. It looked like he stayed on the bridge pup the whole time, rhythms and leads.
That's cause all you need is a kick-ass bridge pup! :AOK

Still haven't picked up the new Olson/Louris, but finally got the Louris solo album and it is very good.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

"Still haven't picked up the new Olson/Louris, but finally got the Louris solo album and it is very good."

I did know about either cd until I was poking around the web last night, so I ordered both. I had been amazed to find it has been 6 years since Rainy Day Music!

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Old 04-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Supporting Member

His FF is a germanium version. I have spoken to Gary about this.
The Jayhawks is the reason I got into the Fuzz face and led me in the forums. almost 10 years ago now.

The MJM London Fuzz nails this tone to a tee! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9BNijkw78

and yeah the new Olson/Louris cd is just simply beautiful!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface71 View Post

His FF is a germanium version. I have spoken to Gary about this.
The Jayhawks is the reason I got into the Fuzz face and led me in the forums. almost 10 years ago now.

The MJM London Fuzz nails this tone to a tee! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9BNijkw78
Don't know what Gary uses and I take you at your word, but just be aware that the London Fuzz you link to is the London II which is the silicon version....
Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 AM

Kris, of KJ Audio here in Minneapolis, worked on that fuzz recently.

It's silicon. Gary believed it was germanium for many years, but was surprised to find out that it isn't. So that's the end of that story.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary vex View Post
Kris, of KJ Audio here in Minneapolis, worked on that fuzz recently.

It's silicon. Gary believed it was germanium for many years, but was surprised to find out that it isn't. So that's the end of that story.
I knew it! Definitely sounds silicon to me, and I've always said so. Thanks for clearing this up, at long last.