Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

What is the best sounding Marshall Plexi clone?

A Victoria Bassman is hands down one of the best sounding amps I have ever played through tonally. The Victoria Bassman is magic sounding and it is the best Tweed Bassman clone I have ever played through. I'm trying to find the same Victoria quality in a Marshall clone.

I'm looking for the best sounding non master volume Marshall Plexi clone. The one that sounds better than all the others and the amp that sounds as good as the very best Marshalls. You guy's can post here or e-mail me if you prefer not to say certain things on this forum. What have you vintage Marshall tone fans been buying and actually keeping?

Thanks

Mike
Old 03-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Mike

Here is a nice one if you are into plexi amps ....

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/jw1.html

You can disable the master or have him leave it out altogether.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Cornell Plexi 45/50 is pretty nice.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:18 PM

I like the Maven Peal Ganesha - very flexible.
Problem: Dave doesn't make them any more. Look out for one in emporium, incredible value for money.

Best, Pete.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What is the best sounding Marshall Plexi clone?
Greg Germino. He even offers different flavors of Plexi, be it Jimi, Clapton, or Duane. Nothing else has the combination of look, sound, and vibe that Greg's gets with all his amps. I've had several (5) and they all killed. I wish he would start making Masonette's again, cool little amp!

P.S. I'm a huge fan of Victoria also, have had several Deluxe's and a Bassman, all killer with vibe to spare.

Scott

Last edited by Woodshed; 03-15-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaze
I'm looking for the best sounding non master volume Marshall Plexi clone. The one that sounds better than all the others and the amp that sounds as good as the very best Marshalls.
I think you're going to get as many different opinions as there are Marshall clones on this one
Old 03-15-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for the best sounding non master volume Marshall Plexi clone.
Another vote for Germino.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball XL5
I think you're going to get as many different opinions as there are Marshall clones on this one
You are right because several companies are making Plexi Marshall clones. People are having tone partys and amp shootouts with vintage Marshalls, so what is winning and impressing people more? What is the guy with two vintage Marshalls at home buying because he does not want to take his vintage Marshalls out to the clubs?

I want a non master volume Marshall clone. No bells or whistles. Just a magic sounding head that nailed the tone down. I don't want to buy a 35 year old Marshall due to dependability.

Mike
Old 03-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
You are right because several companies are making Plexi Marshall clones. People are having tone partys and amp shootouts with vintage Marshalls, so what is winning and impressing people more? What is the guy with two vintage Marshalls at home buying because he does not want to take his vintage Marshalls out to the clubs?

I want a non master volume Marshall clone. No bells or whistles. Just a magic sounding head that nailed the tone down. I don't want to buy a 35 year old Marshall due to dependability.

Mike
I have 3 vintage Marshalls (OK, LATE vintage... 74, 74, and 75) and I just bought a Germino Monterey Classic... but I haven't heard any more than the clips on the web site.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Gold Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball XL5
+1.5
Old 03-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Supporting Member

There is always the Marshall Marshall Clone... 2061x head. Supposed to be a baby-plexi. Used they can be had for fairly cheap... around 1300. I love mine, though I've never played a real plexi, so YMMV.
Smooth deals with: Whogo, Mosaic, RGB, Chadley, Justgus45, guitarua, jw112, Archtopjazz, satdoug, onthetundra, myronchild, dshobe, Taomild, jdranger, SecretAsianMan, Moods, Carbz, Melodiusthunk, FenderBigot, rocknfnrol, Patchesprescott, Bigdrive501, Rob E, MatthewLGuidry, Macmaxoff1, and many more over the years.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
True. There are tons of boutique builders making Marshall clones out there but a good indication of quality and authentic tone could be which ones are being used by pro musicians. I have seen Germino's on stage at the Grammy's, on tour with with Aerosmith and The Black Crowes, many others. Greg is too cool to deal with, will help you out way beyond the call of duty and continually improves his products. He has grown a ton over the short few years he has been doing it and I am sure will continue to grow as long as there is a need for reliable, well built boutique Marshall Plexi circuits. Go to his site or Steelbender to hear clips, see video of the amps in action as well as construction info and background on the company.

Scott
Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Gold Supporting Member

By the way, I like Marshalls that have some...

Old 03-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:

Mike
Mike you know my take on this...want an old marshall...get an old Marshall now that said.
I'd pull out my THD Plexi just as soon as my 50 watt JMP. And when folks ask me what I use i couldn't use my 100 watters...I send them to Germino.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Gold Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed DeGenaro
And when folks ask me what I use i couldn't use my 100 watters...I send them to Germino.
This is true.

And my Germino costs more than my "vintage" pieces.