Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital & Modeling Gear

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_in_texas View Post
no..i think you download the firmware onto the SD card and it installs/boots off of the card..but it takes a computer to get a different firmware onto the card other than what it delivered with...
That makes sense, so it sounds like having a 2nd sd card would make it possible to make that change on the fly
Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Supporting Member

So is anybody using this with an HD500? How are you using it and how is it working out?

Higher Ground Band
Old 06-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankencat View Post
So is anybody using this with an HD500? How are you using it and how is it working out?
Also interested in this - this is how I'd use it
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 AM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankencat View Post
I'm using the EPSi with my HD500, the EPSi is placed in the HD500's effects loop. It works very well with no issues whatsoever, and IMHO it fixes the biggest problem with the HD500 (poor sounding cab sims). If you are unhappy with the cab sims in the HD, and mainly use the HD direct to a FRFR, IR's are a big improvement. Right now the EPSi is the least expensive standalone device available to implement IR's.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:37 AM

To the Pod HD users out there considering augmenting their sound with an EPSi I would like to share our end of the story. We are seeing the most returns of EPSis precisely from POD owners who have little experience using IR based detached cab simulators. Here is what we find:

- The cab sim in the POD is already based on some sort of convolution and is much more accurate than the web chatter would imply.

- The improvement brought by adding the EPSi is subtle. Although critical to some ears, it is lost on many others.

We find that folks who have experimented with native IR based cab sims on their computers have the best understanding of what to expect from the product. Folks who have not, tend to expect too much from the concept and be disappointed when trying it in the real world.

Making version C for EPSi was entirely motivated by requests from users familiar with the process and those users were quite satisfied with the results. Somehow the buzz now is that this process will turn any high end modeler into something massively better, but we've seen a number of users reporting insufficient improvement upon pairing the EPSi with their high end modeler and requesting returns as a result.

A quick way to evaluate the benefits of adding the EPSi to a given rig is to pair that rig with one of the many available computer IR based cab sims. All these plug ins use convolution as does the EPSi.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logidy View Post
We are seeing the most returns of EPSis precisely from POD owners who have little experience using IR based detached cab simulators.
FWIW, I think the "POD owners" part is less relevant than the "little experience using..."

Quote:
- The cab sim in the POD is already based on some sort of convolution and is much more accurate than the web chatter would imply.
While this may be correct - I have not had the opportunity to test one of these - it is IMO of far less importance than the fact that, per the owner's manual, you're stuck with only the factory-supplied IRs in this device. If those are not to your liking, you will have to resort to external hardware to address the shortcoming.

Quote:
- The improvement brought by adding the EPSi is subtle.
IMO this misses the point altogether. "Adding the EPSI" is an essential part, but findiing suitable cab IRs is the real challenge. If all a user does is audition the cabs that are bundled with the EPSI (I haven't bothered auditioning them myself), they're wasting most of the possibilities offered by a device such as this.

Quote:
Somehow the buzz now is that this process will turn any high end modeler into something massively better,
The possibility for improvement in any modeler that does not provide the ability to upload user-supplied IRs is huge. Unfortunately, the phrase "user-supplied" places a nontrivial burden on the user.

Quote:
A quick way to evaluate the benefits of adding the EPSi to a given rig is to pair that rig with one of the many available computer IR based cab sims.
Agreed. It is incumbent on anyone who does such an evaluation to explore available IRs to the greatest extent practical before deciding, however. Real-time convolution is just a tool. The EPSI is the least expensive such tool presently available.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Silver Supporting Member

In my posts here I have tried to make the point that the EPSi is simply a device that allows the use of IRs without a iPad or laptop. Also a user should experiment with IRs before committing to the purchase of an EPSi or Torpedo. The tone is actually dependent on the IRs and not the EPSi.

I used an iPad with an interface and IR app to verify that IRs are worth the trouble. In my case IRs were a revelation. The EPSi sounded exactly like the iPad rig in the HD500's effects loop (using the same IRs), only with much less latency.

It is very cool to load a Redwirez IR set for a cab, and select the different mic placements with the EPSi during a sound check. It's just like moving the mic around a cab to get the right tone, very quick and easy, with great results.

Kudos to the Logidy design team for creating an excellent product that has worked flawlessly, and does exactly the job they claimed it would do, as well as what I expected it would do. Plus it is very affordable. It is very satisfying to find the exact tool for a specific job.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonoscopotamus View Post

Can you use the epsi to model a squeaky clean amp playing through the modeled cab? Yes, if you believe the demo they've posted.
Can you use the epsi (or any other simple convolution device) to do what the Kemper (supposedly) does? Nope - IR's don't contain dynamic or gain structure information. I think I've seen plugins that use IR's to recreate the dynamic response of sampled devices (using proprietary files that contain multiple IR's sampled at various levels of gain), but the lodigy doesn't do that.
I think you're really missing the point of the EPSi. A cabinet IR only provides the cabinet simulation part of the signal chain. Most lower/mid tier modelers have more than decent amp simulations, it's their cab Sims that are lacking. Regarding the Kemper, we all get it... It's a profiler and right now the only one out there. An EPSi isn't going to turn your POD into a Kemper, but it may be the thing that makes it workable for some. As Jay stated, the trick is finding "that" IR that works for you. The EPSi just provides a vehicle to make that possible.

Guitar Gear:
Godin XTSA w/ Duncan P-Rails, Dean Avalanche MQ, Austin AU792, GSP1101/Control 2, RP1000, RP360XP, Roland GR-55, EHX 44 Magnum, Tech21 PE60, Crate GX412XS, Seismic Audio Luke 1x12V
Bass Gear: Peavey Cirrus TigerEye Sixer, Carvin BX500, EA iAmp Micro500, Schroeder 1212R, EA Wizzy 10
Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the info.

Higher Ground Band
Old 06-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybassplayer View Post
I think you're really missing the point of the EPSi. A cabinet IR only provides the cabinet simulation part of the signal chain. Most lower/mid tier modelers have more than decent amp simulations, it's their cab Sims that are lacking.
This is a good point, recently I have been having a lot of fun plugging older modelers into an IR device. The improvements in some cases are shocking. For example, both an original script logo Pod 2.0 and a V Amp 2 were greatly improved, as well as a Pod XT. Some of the older modelers have very muddy tones, and the IRs can completely fix that problem. In fact, IRs improved the XT so much I am now using one live in place of my HD500, as the XT/IR will get a very good AC30 tone I have been trying to get for a long time.

I suspect that if you have a modeler that sounds good through a standard guitar speaker with its internal cabs disabled, but sounds poor direct with its cab sims, IRs will be a big help for direct use (replacing the internal cab sims).
Old 06-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

@MKB do you find that the EPSi kills the output level on the HD500? The XLR outputs are low as it is on the HD, when I tried adding the EPSi in the HD500 fx loop I have to cut the amp level to about half, pin the master, and it is STILL too low of an output. How are you setting levels to overcome this? Are you boosting at the HD mixer?
Old 06-29-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringleader42 View Post
@MKB do you find that the EPSi kills the output level on the HD500? The XLR outputs are low as it is on the HD, when I tried adding the EPSi in the HD500 fx loop I have to cut the amp level to about half, pin the master, and it is STILL too low of an output. How are you setting levels to overcome this? Are you boosting at the HD mixer?
have you try to match the send level, mix level and return level?
maybe wrong select switch between rack / pedal(stompbox) level.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonblack View Post
have you try to match the send level, mix level and return level?
maybe wrong select switch between rack / pedal(stompbox) level.
I tried both line and pedal settings and honestly they didn't make a difference which seemed odd. In order to get a good level out of the HD500 (that was similar to the levels I would get without the EPSi) I have to crank the fx Return level up to 10-15 in the fx loop block) which again seemed kinda odd.

The Mid control in the EPSi is the overall pedal output level, but I find that it's so easy to drive the EPSi into overload distortion. With my Zoom Ms-100BT I crank the Mid on EPSi to 10 and then adjust the amp model output as high as possible before distortion (which is usually pretty low). Just wondering how others are setting levels in the HD and making up for the volume drop that the EPSi seems to make.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
To find the optimal dynamic range, you should use (L:0 M:0.1 H:0) and crank the modeler as high as you can without hearing hard clipping. At that point you have maximized the dynamic range on the ADC of the EPSi, then you can bring up the Mid until the output of the EPSi clips. Then roll off the MID a little. That is the sweet spot for dynamic management on the EPSi.
Found info from Oliver at Logidy and wanted it shared in this thread. Maximizing the input level to the EPSi was something I hadn't done.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:05 AM

Any recommended settings for the high and low pass filters. I suck when it comes to EQ'ing. What if I want them "off"? Do I set them to max? (9.9)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk