Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

nice...i have that same lasko heater/fan...but mine is tru bypass...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprvise View Post
It's great that Letterman likes his tone, but I would hope Leno does too.
I get up at 5am, so all the hosts look the same to me at 11:30PM
Old 01-26-2007, 09:40 AM

This Eubanks has great tone. :AOK

The only thing Kevin and I have in common is the hotplate.

I disagree that the hotplate causes that overly compressed, crappy tone. I'd place the blame on the cables, pedals and the fact he's on the Tonight Show. Haven't you ever noticed how horrible all artists sound on that show? It's not just Kevin. I think they need to fire their sound guy.

Now if only I could play as well as Kevin...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:50 AM

I don't understand why you guys bash his tone. It may not be your cup of tea, but he gets some great tones, and they translate amazingly well across the 3" TV speakers. Seriously, you can't honestly say that his tone is that bad.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileseven View Post
I don't understand why you guys bash his tone.
Simple. Because it's easier to buy a custom shop guitar and run it through a boutique amp (with monster cable) than it is to practice and get to the level of a Kevin Eubanks...:AOK
Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
Simple. Because it's easier to buy a custom shop guitar and run it through a boutique amp (with monster cable) than it is to practice and get to the level of a Kevin Eubanks...:AOK

Actually it's not. Practicing and playing guitar is a lot of fun and not difficult at all. We all probably expend far more energy chasing after our materialism than Eubanks spent over the years doing what he loved.

Sometimes we just get mixed up. But if you get 'back to basics' and remember why you started playing in the first place, practicing for 8 hours a day seems simple compared to this voluntary rat race we all get caught up in.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

An interesting side note: A friend who works on the show crew observed: "His tone in person isn't that great, but by time it gets to air, it sounds pretty good". I thought it was "okay" in person (six rows back), but theres actually a completely separate video and audio control room. The audi room runs a full pro-tools mixdown and mastering setup that handles the audio portion of the show and after it's mixed. On my home theatre system, it sounds pretty darn good imho.
"As a proud owner/user of an ODS 30 I was really glad to read the review in this month's issue of Vintage Guitar. Owners/players already know how outstanding and reliable Fuchs are and it just made me feel so good for Andy and everyone there to see the name on the front of the issue and an outstanding review where they stated "we're hard pressed to come up with anything to change" on the Blackjack-21 II. Well done, Dave Petersen
Old 01-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad347 View Post
Actually it's not. Practicing and playing guitar is a lot of fun and not difficult at all. We all probably expend far more energy chasing after our materialism than Eubanks spent over the years doing what he loved.
Ummm...Isn't that what I just said?!?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Ummm...Isn't that what I just said?!?
Not as far as I can tell. Seems to me it's the opposite of what you just said. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad347 View Post
Not as far as I can tell. Seems to me it's the opposite of what you just said. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My point is it's easy to buy gear and it's hard to put in the time and become great. So a bunch of chat-forum posters don't like Eubanks' gear. I doubt he cares cuz he doesn't waste time on chat rooms. He is out there doing it. :AOK
Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
My point is it's easy to buy gear and it's hard to put in the time and become great. So a bunch of chat-forum posters don't like Eubanks' gear. I doubt he cares cuz he doesn't waste time on chat rooms. He is out there doing it. :AOK
My point is that in my opinion it's in reality NOT hard to put in the time to become great. It's a lot more relaxing than being in a gear rat-race, even though we all seem to forget that. This is all of course in my opinion. But it seems my communication skills are lacking so.... we'll call it a stalemate.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
That's one of the most unbelievably silly statements I've ever read. So you're actually claiming that it's harder to collect expensive gear than it is to be great. Oh My...
How much do people get stressed out over ebay auctions, craigslist hunts, deciding what to get and what to sell, etc...

Buying and selling gear to get "just the thing" and being micro-managing and perfectionistic about it is about as stressful as any corporate job I can imagine.

ON the other hand... to become great one needs to practice and play guitar. A lot. And that's it.

I know which one sounds easier to ME.

Of course, the psychology of "greatness" and the deification of our heroes tricks us into believing that there is somethign supernatural about them. And with some of them there may indeed be. And some of us like the idea of playing guitar more than we like actually playing guitar, so practicing feels like "work" to accomplish an "end" rather than an act of love in itself.

EDIT:

Just to be clear, please don't think that I'm purporting to be "better" or excluding myself from the above. I do it just as much as anyone probably... BUT I personally (for myself) view it as a neurosis rather than an "easy-way out."
Old 01-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Silver Supporting Member

I've heard some great tones from Kevin Eubanks on the Tonight Show. I always wondered what he was using for his saturated lead sound, as I didn't think the Blue Angel was doing that on its own. Interesting to see it is a RAT, as that is one of my favorite higher gain pedals.

Bryan
Old 01-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Eubanks has a great distorted tone, but I have NEVER heard a decent clean sound come out of his rig.

Great player though.
I love his tone, clean and otherwise, on Dave Holland's Extensions album as well as on a Steve Coleman disc whose name escapes me at the moment. Great player and I always know that it's him.

David

Old 01-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajbro View Post
I love his tone, clean and otherwise, on Dave Holland's Extensions album as well as on a Steve Coleman disc whose name escapes me at the moment. Great player and I always know that it's him.

David
Agreed! That Holland CD is amazing.

Last edited by jzucker; 01-26-2007 at 12:43 PM.