Become a Supporting Member


Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
michael c michael c is offline
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 123
Mesa Celestion C90?

Anyone know what 'regular' Celestion this speaker sounds similar to? Any opinions on what this speakers sounds like and is best suited for?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
rockon1 rockon1 is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stamford CT
Posts: 11,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Anyone know what 'regular' Celestion this speaker sounds similar to? Any opinions on what this speakers sounds like and is best suited for?

Thanks.
I believe its based on a Classic Lead 80. Dont know how it sounds though.
__________________
"Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein
Was I crazy? I began to wonder, for such an appalling lack of perspective seemed near being just that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 PM
scottywompas scottywompas is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,603
There's one in my MKIV. It sounds OK to me although I'm not the biggest celestion fan. I just havn't had the time to put an EV in that sucker (not to mention the MKIV already weighs a ton and the EV isn't light)

It has more mid range than the EV's Im used to. IT doesn't seem to break up much on its own. Overall I don't think it's a bad speaker.

Scott
__________________
"Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2007, 10:26 PM
aleclee's Avatar
aleclee aleclee is offline
I'll take the "over"
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: 5868 ft above sea level
Posts: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockon1 View Post
I believe its based on a Classic Lead 80.
Yup
__________________
Some people have a destiny that involves nothing more than serving as a cautionary tale to others.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:00 AM
1973Marshall 1973Marshall is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,969
I seriously feel it sounds like a CL80 - only it's browner, looser, and sweeter, with a nice top that shines with some roll off in the brights.

I prefer it to the CL80.
__________________
My guitar, my laptop, my camera, my family & my friends... that's everything I love and everything I need.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:22 AM
medwards1969 medwards1969 is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palm Harbor FL
Posts: 228
It makes a Fender sound just slightly darker. This is partly why the Lonestar is viewed as slightly darker, in some contexts. It does not explain the issues about the dark lead channel on it, though. Personally I like them, as I think a Stratocaster sounds too shrill for me in general. I like the Les Paul sound even though it has less ability to take on effects.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2007, 03:28 AM
John Phillips John Phillips is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 13,114
It's not actually based on a CL80.

Both the MC90 and the CL80 are based on the old G12-80 model from the 1980s. The MC90 is closer to the G12-80 than the CL80 is, IMO - there is at least one major construction difference between the CL80 and the other two, which is that both the G12-80 and the MC90 have vented magnets, and the CL80 doesn't. (Celestion say that the CL80 is the same as the G12-80, but I don't know why they say that - since it's quite obviously not, either physically or tonally.)

I agree with 1973Marshall - the MC90 sounds chunkier, richer and more resonant than the CL80, which is tighter, harder and has a slightly metallic top-end. I also prefer the MC90 - it's my favorite Celestion in fact.
__________________
John P
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2007, 09:47 AM
LSchefman LSchefman is offline
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,446
>>I agree with 1973Marshall - the MC90 sounds chunkier, richer and more resonant than the CL80, which is tighter, harder and has a slightly metallic top-end. I also prefer the MC90 - it's my favorite Celestion in fact.<<

I agree, too. Perfect description of this speaker.

I've run a Mesa 3/4 back 112 loaded with one of these with my TR for close to a year. More of a rock speaker than the smoother TR 12-65, but not shrill like a V-30 can be.

I would like to try a Celestion gold with my TR, but haven't seen 'em pop up in stores yet.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - J.Lebowski
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2007, 12:23 PM
michael c michael c is offline
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 123
How different sounding is it from a G12H30 Anniv? Is it that 'vibe' rather than say a Greenback 25 watt?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
ericb ericb is offline
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: VT
Posts: 6,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
How different sounding is it from a G12H30 Anniv? Is it that 'vibe' rather than say a Greenback 25 watt?
Hi , the MC90 is not the vibe of a g12h30 70th anniversary , original g12h30 , or a GB.. It's most definitely a higher wattage speaker , solid as can be , pretty well balanced , not quite as bright as a g12h30 , handles hi-gain GREAT as opposed to g12h30's and g12m's. The hi-end is different than both too... The closest speakers I've played to MC90's are the Rivera/Celestion G12t-85 (they're hard to come by , except in some Rivera amps) and /or the 80['s ROLA G12-80's.... NOt the Classic 80's and not the G12H80's. It also shares some in common with a Vintage 30 as in it handles hi-gain great, but it has better cleans with many amps than the V30's. There's my experience.. I got no better adjectives!

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
ericb ericb is offline
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: VT
Posts: 6,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Phillips View Post
It's not actually based on a CL80.

Both the MC90 and the CL80 are based on the old G12-80 model from the 1980s. The MC90 is closer to the G12-80 than the CL80 is, IMO - there is at least one major construction difference between the CL80 and the other two, which is that both the G12-80 and the MC90 have vented magnets, and the CL80 doesn't. (Celestion say that the CL80 is the same as the G12-80, but I don't know why they say that - since it's quite obviously not, either physically or tonally.)

I agree with 1973Marshall - the MC90 sounds chunkier, richer and more resonant than the CL80, which is tighter, harder and has a slightly metallic top-end. I also prefer the MC90 - it's my favorite Celestion in fact.

I posted my post above without reading the full thread, and then I read this. I agree with John's description very much. I don't always prefer the MC90 over the Cl80 though. I have a few amps where the CL80 is perfect.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-2007, 07:30 PM
KRosser KRosser is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 13,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Marshall View Post
I seriously feel it sounds like a CL80 - only it's browner, looser, and sweeter, with a nice top that shines with some roll off in the brights.
I like this description!

I like it very much in my old Mark 1 re-ish....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
boonhogganbeck boonhogganbeck is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 720
I didn't care for it in my F-50. I replaced it with a Emi Red White and Blues, and I like that much better.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Lashing Lashing is offline
Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 131
I bought an mesa combo cab which had just the speaker in it. Its a VINTAGE Black SHadow with the VINTAGE in big bold letters up top. Only other markings is VS-12.

This speaker works for me. It sounds great. I have no idea what this speaker actually is but i have a collection of Celestions here and none sound like it at all.

Anybody?
__________________
I am Lashing Guitars
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM
zombiwoof zombiwoof is offline
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,760
Celestion used to make the 90 watt speaker in their regular line, when Celestion discontinued it Mesa had them continue to manufacture them for their use. I got that info from Mesa at the time.

Al
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999-2014, The Gear Page, LLC, Brian Scherzer
All rights reserved.
Banner Design: Chris Sileo