Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Guitars in General

Notices

Old 04-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Gibson ES 336 or ES 339 ???

I'm in the market for a semi-hollow Gibson. I've had the chance to play an ES336 but have not played the 339.
what are the big differences, besides price, in playability and tone?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM

Last year I bought a 336 figured top, and it is a great guitar. It now has TonePros, and I plan to hold on to this guitar. I have not played the 339.

Unlike the 339, the 336 has a solid top, and the back & sides are carved out of a single piece of wood. I understand the 339 is built like a 335 (laminate top, regular construction for back & sides), just smaller.
God Bless Texas; I have ejoyed good deals with moo cow, rul8agn, KeithC, Idlewilde, GAT, daysleeper, dave_fisher, sfarnell, matchless, Glowing Tubes, zoooombiex, dumbell78, Yup, Reverb, Plin, Enrico, Braciola, Waylon, 229someday, PhilC, mbarvag, John II, Mr.Hanky, Bejazzz, tommybolin, pfapin and others.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM

I bought the 339 and have played a few 336's. The necks on the 336's are slimmer. I have the 30/60 neck on my 339. The neck pickup on the 336 was duller sounding in the low end. Where the 339 neck pickup was fat and thick. And the 336 was slightly lighter. Both are great guitars, but for the price the 339 is the way to go.

Last edited by pullagnm; 04-09-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Very different guitars. I did some work on a friend's CS-336 and in fact just today I played an ES339 at Guitar Center. CS336 is a chambered solidbody with a carved maple top over a hollowed out solid mahogany back (you get to the pickups through a cover on the back like a Les Paul). It's not quite a total solidbody, and has a little life or jazz flavor to it but retains its brightness. The CS339 is a scaled down ES335 that has more of a noticeable acoustic flavor. You might find that price and the neck profile are more important. My understanding is that both guitars (depending on the year of CS336 you're looking at) have '57 Classic Humbuckers in them. I'm not sure the market is going to tolerate the overuse of the "custom shop" decal on the headstock, since the ES339 is a Memphis instrument and not a Nashville. Also a model that's only sold through Guitar Center affiliates may be rare and collectible or it may just be a blip that nobody liked and won't be desireable later on. Having said that, I did like the one I played an awful lot and would like to have one especially at that price.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Supporting Member

i'm selling my CS336p, it has a bigsby......it is a killer guitar. if you're interested email me at surfshack6524@comcast.net

Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Old 04-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Gold Supporting Member

Are there any noticeable differences in tone or sound between the two guitars?
www.gallowayjefcoat.com
Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
CS336 is a chambered solidbody with a carved maple top over a hollowed out solid mahogany back (you get to the pickups through a cover on the back like a Les Paul).
Bob-

Not trying to be confrontational, but are you sure you worked on a 336? I assure you mine has no cover plates on the back, nor have any others i've ever seen.

Gary
Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 PM

I have a 356 Koa top and love this guitar. Different beast than either the 336 or 339, but i always like to brag about it. The combination of the Koa top and ebony board make the bridge pickup pretty bright and the neck pickup is big and fat. Also, there is no cover plate on the back of this baby either.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure the market is going to tolerate the overuse of the "custom shop" decal on the headstock, since the ES339 is a Memphis instrument and not a Nashville. Also a model that's only sold through Guitar Center affiliates may be rare and collectible or it may just be a blip that nobody liked and won't be desireable later on.
They won't need to tolerate it for long...apparently they are going to the regular production line soon - no more CS designation.

Re: Memphis vs. Nashville - I'm pretty sure that all ES models are built in Memphis, including Custom Shop ES-335's ( at least any laminate / archtop guitar )

The 339 plaintops will be GC only,the figured tops will be available elsewhere (but not GC...) $1000 more for figured plywood. Sweet.

I adore my 339, it's more like a 335 whereas the 336's were tonally closer to my Les Pauls. The 339 is my absolute current favorite guitar and the best bang for the buck that Gibson has.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary F. View Post
Bob-

Not trying to be confrontational, but are you sure you worked on a 336? I assure you mine has no cover plates on the back, nor have any others i've ever seen.

Gary
+2 I've owned a CS-336 since 2003 and there is no access plate on the back. Perhaps he worked on one of the old prototype ES-336s that had the mickey mouse ear body and the straight pull peg head, I believe those had a flat back and so possibly a back plate as well.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Very different guitars. I did some work on a friend's CS-336 and in fact just today I played an ES339 at Guitar Center. CS336 is a chambered solidbody with a carved maple top over a hollowed out solid mahogany back (you get to the pickups through a cover on the back like a Les Paul). It's not quite a total solidbody, and has a little life or jazz flavor to it but retains its brightness. The CS339 is a scaled down ES335 that has more of a noticeable acoustic flavor. You might find that price and the neck profile are more important. My understanding is that both guitars (depending on the year of CS336 you're looking at) have '57 Classic Humbuckers in them. I'm not sure the market is going to tolerate the overuse of the "custom shop" decal on the headstock, since the ES339 is a Memphis instrument and not a Nashville. Also a model that's only sold through Guitar Center affiliates may be rare and collectible or it may just be a blip that nobody liked and won't be desireable later on. Having said that, I did like the one I played an awful lot and would like to have one especially at that price.
If it had a cover plate it was an old ES-336, some what different than the CS-336. I've owned a CS-336 since 2003 and trust me, it has no back plate. Here's some pics of a ES-336 I found on the web. Note the flat back with back plate and the small straigt pull headstock.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I have a 339 with the 59 neck - love it. It definitely has that 335 vibe, if that's what you want. I haven't played a 336, but I would expect it to sound more like a Les Paul than a 335 based on its construction.
Good deals: guitarman_1, trixterq, gitarboy, snarkle, superchamp, drew816, DMod, deeval, supersonic1414, JSChwalls, rjd1guitar, operanonverba, hoffmanj, Csgband, Telebluze, Gavin, Dajbro, drneely, edwarddavis, c-dub, outtahear, readymade, dayn, & many others...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:27 PM

no backplate i wish it did bitch to work on
Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Silver Supporting Member

I think some of you are thinking of the CS-346.

I used to own one. Sold it to guy named Mike on the Gear Page about three or four years ago. Not one of my better moves.