Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Pedal order questions - wah, compressor, volume...

So, I've had my FX chain set up like so: Keeley Compressor -> Ernie Ball VP Junior (Passive) -> VOX Clyde McCoy Wah.

I was reading the most recent GuitarPlayer, which seems to be a hot topic on here right now, and it suggested putting filters (ie. Wah) before Compressors. I thought compression should go first... but this tells me otherwise, so can anyone tell me the benefits of either?

It also suggested putting Volume Pedals later on (before delays but after OD's) and I understand the benefits of that, but I'm wondering what effect it will have placing my PASSIVE Volume Pedal after the other pedals (which include a TS9 which is buffered and then a few TB OD pedals). Any help will be appreciated!
Keeley Compressor > Ernie Ball VP Junior > Keeley TS9 > Barber Small Fry > Box of Rock > Timmy > Line 6 MM4 > Boss DD-5 > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Verbzilla
Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

I've always put my comp first, so it interacts with the naked guitar signal... no help from me there.

As to the VPJR, you're likely to hear a better signal with it after a buffer like the one in the TS9. They're suckers sometimes, but being after a buffer generally helps that. I like to have buffers relatively close before and after a pedal that geeks with things... my WH-4, for example.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:11 PM

I've always like my compressor after the wah. It keeps the volume frequency response more even throughout the range of the pedal and keeps the wah from going too shrill at the high-end. A lof of compression after a wah can make a wah pedal sound huge.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM

The compressor evens out dynamics, balancing and controlling the intensity of picking and changes in volume. Filters respond to your picking and transients. Therefore, having a compressor before the pedal that responds to picking defeats the purpose. In order to get the most out of your filters and such, place them before a compressor.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Supporting Member

I'm staring at my board now, and just had a little light-bulb go off. My compressor is first, and there's no wah on the board. So, when I do add the wah it's before the comp. Just thought i'd correct my above post.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 AM

bump... any more ideas?
Keeley Compressor > Ernie Ball VP Junior > Keeley TS9 > Barber Small Fry > Box of Rock > Timmy > Line 6 MM4 > Boss DD-5 > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Verbzilla
Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Supporting Member

Play around and try different positions. You'll hear something you like, and some sounds you'll really hate. Mine are like this:
guitar, wah, compression, O/D or dist, then into amp.
FX loop has tuner, delay, EQ, Chorus, Flanger then back into FX in.