Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Gear Video & Soundclips Demo Areas > Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive

Notices

Old 07-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Original Trainwreck Express, 1959 Gibson Les Paul, more...

7 videos on Youtube with an original '89 Trainwreck Express, '08 Fender Relic Strat, '92 Callaham Strat, and original '59 Gibson Les Paul. This one has been played the most: http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenKuyk...15/Y2_12Ler9B8

Three of these videos have full band backing playing tunes from my "Can You Hear It Ring?" CD. The others are raw free form demos. Audio ranges from ugly camcorder mic to pro studio recording gear.

All of these are straight guitar>amp>cab with NO pedals.

Here is a clip to the newest video done in May 2008, and the others can be found from there. More audio clips & pics are on my "myspace" page along with info on my CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3VhCRFoFYk

Enjoy,
Glen Kuykendall
www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall

Last edited by Geetarpicker; 10-29-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 AM

its all good stuff glen,
what i find i like the most about the clips & your playing is obviously the tone which is great, one of the best & i just wonder what that set up sounds like in person?.
your style isnt the type of guitaring id normally go for but its very tasteful, but the control you have over your instrument/amp is fantastic, you know the set up so well & that comes out in the clips.
best wishes from this side of the pond.
gu
matamp first lady,18w marshall clone,bluesbreakers, katanas,tu2 & hoochie mamas.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:29 PM

enjoyed that a lot, thanks for posting
Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Great tone bro! Choppage was kicking too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarpicker View Post
7 videos on Youtube with an original '89 Trainwreck Express, '08 Fender Relic Strat, '92 Callaham Strat, and original '59 Gibson Les Paul.

Two of these videos have full band backing playing tunes from my "Can You Hear It Ring?" CD. The others are raw free form demos. Audio ranges from ugly camcorder mic to pro studio recording gear.

All of these are straight guitar>amp>cab with NO pedals.

Here is a clip to the newest video done in May 2008, and the others can be found from there. More audio clips & pics are on my "myspace" page along with info on my CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3VhCRFoFYk

Enjoy,
Glen Kuykendall
Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 PM
hell is chrome
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Excellent. Great feel, great tone. I really dig these clips.

Good deals

Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Hey Glen,
Thanks for posting those. Which do you feel captures the TW vibe the best?
"Blues is like the white dust in the neighborhood from the oyster-shell streets. It's a natural thing in this region. Certain things I can play with musicians from here that I cannot play with other musicians from Chicago or Seattle or Boston or New York. They simply do not feel it."
Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM

I like it how Glen uses technique to bring out the different sounds -- strumming closer to and even over the neck, adjusting volume, picking at different locations, etc. Good stuff.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Another awesome vid, Glen. Man, you just make that amp scream!

Mike

"This kicks so much ass, that foreign ass had to be brought in so that there would be sufficient ass for zz top to kick!"
Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Supporting Member

By the way the main cabinet I use with this amp has old 25 watt G12Ms in it. The amp is loud but not as loud as say a JTM45 but close. I always wear earplugs when I play the amp. I also have all my guitar pickups potted, so that I can get REALLY close to the cab for sustain. My amp settings are usually volume and treble on 12:00 to 1:00, and all the other knobs on 1/2. The bright switch is in the full bright position.

Thanks folks for checking out the videos!

GK

Old 07-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

TW amp

PM sent
Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Awesome playing and sound!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Great stuff

Great tone, great playing! Do you ever use pedals with the TeeWee?

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Supporting Member

I never use pedals with the amp with stock tubes, and there are no pedals in any of my clips/videos and none on my "Can You Hear It Ring?" CD either. These days there's probably not many instrumental guitar CDs that have no pedals, though I didn't intentionally plan it that way.

Still, I'm not a NO pedal snob and actually have a nice pedal board that I use with other amp rigs quite often.

For the most part many pedals get in the way of doing what the Trainwreck Express amp does best IMHO. That said many folks have good luck with wahs, chorus and other pedals IF they are true bypass and you don't mind quite a bit more noise than you might expect when you click them in. These amps are quite high gain, and with just about any amp the higher the gain the more pedals can sometimes wash out. With these amps you really never need any sort of gain pedal, as the amp's beautiful gain on it's own is truly not worth missing and quite ample.

Sometimes I will run a wet/dry rig with some Lexicon rack units, power amp, and separate effects speaker to get effects with my Trainwreck done totally "post" amplifier. This does sound awesome.

However if I swap out the 1st two 12AX7s for 12AY7s the gain is reduced to the point that it works well with pedals and my wireless. Still, it's not the same amp at that point at all but still cool. With the Y7 tube trick I've done country gigs with the amp, mostly clean playing at that.

There are quite a few folks that do run pedals with their Wrecks, I just don't like the degradation I can always detect on the basic tone. Still, a true bypass pedal wired correctly can usually get around the problem of any tonal compromises when clicked off.

I guess I'm too fixated on working the guitar knobs with my Express to step on pedals anyway!

Last edited by Geetarpicker; 07-14-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Actually there are no pedals used on my CD for distortion although it is only about 50% instrumental. I prefer the amp distortion as well although some of the greatest guitar solos of all times have been done with pedals.

I haven't had the chance to play through an original Wreck although I have played through a very accurate clone recently. My Bassman was recently modded with the Wreck circuit and I plan to do a clip of it. They are really cool sounding amps and Glen has really provided us with some great clips (and original music.)
Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

To make things easier here is a direct Youtube link to ALL of my videos, including the ones with the '59 Les Paul and more.
4 have lo-fi camcorder audio, but 3 have studio quality audio so please check them all out!

Cheers,
GK

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenKuykendall

Myspace too: www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall

Last edited by Geetarpicker; 09-19-2008 at 02:23 PM.