Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which amp would you use for high gain rock (punk/metal)?
Marshall JVM 410H 38 45.24%
Mesa Boogie Road King II version 2 46 54.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I love Mesa amps. Check my screen name, but I know a couple of people that gig the JVM regularly with no problems so reliability wouldn't concern me especially if you're buying new.

JVM has typical Marshall lead and crunch tones, nice verb, and best Marshall clean.

I prefer the RK II because I like the Clean (Lonestar) and High Gain (Recto) tones better.

It's the mid gain crunch tones that will really be the deciding factor though. You have to play them, but either will work for your music and are super versatile.

Check the Roadster if you don't care about the tube switching on the RK. But, with the EL34's on Ch.2 Brit mode at 50 w. it does sound nice. Stiletto like I'd say.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 PM

One thing I think is interesting to note is the number of knobs, buttons, switches, jacks, and LEDs each amp has. Here's the breakdown, if I'm reading the pdf user manuals correctly.

Marshall JVM 410

Front panel: 28 knobs, 10 switches (8 of them have LEDs), 1 plug.
Back panel: 14 plugs, 2 buttons, 1 knob.
Total: 29 knobs, 15 plugs, 10 switches, 8 LEDs, 2 buttons

Mesa Road King II V2

Front panel: 26 knobs, 13 LEDs, 6 switches, 1 plug.
Back panel: 23 switches, 22 plugs, 6 knobs.
Total: 32 knobs, 29 switches, 23 plugs, 13 LEDs
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Hardcore Mesa lover and owner of a MK IV and JVM.

I have owned my JVM for over a year and it has been through 40-50 jams, sat in summer heat gunned, and it has never let me down. So my experience says to listen to the doubters with a grain of salt unless they have had issues with theirs.

USe your ears and if you want Mesa voicing get it. If you want Marshall bark then get the Jvm.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 AM

Guess it also depends where you live, you can get 3 JVM's for the price of 1 RK in england :NUTS, basically you've reeeeally gotta want a mesa over here to hand over that kind of dosh.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearthian View Post
My biggest criticism of the JVM is construction. Any amp whose pots wiggle in the socket gets my vote as poorly constructed. I kid you not. Walk up to one and try to jiggle ANY knob. The whole pot moves in the socket. Also does it on the combo version, the Vintage Modern, etc. This is not a roadworthy piece IMHO.

Also, it's a little too noisy in comparison to Mesa (plugged in straight, no pedals). Too much hiss.

Too bad, because the sound would be a little better for punk.
The answer that Marshall gave for this in a review was that they'd rather have the pot shaft shear off in a mishap, than have the board damaged.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGERSTAFF View Post
The answer that Marshall gave for this in a review was that they'd rather have the pot shaft shear off in a mishap, than have the board damaged.
I have seen many Mesa Mk series shafts sheared off while they were left pulled.....................and they had zero wiggle.

PLus the knobs are pretty flush to the outside of the headshell and not sticking out so less of a chance to do something to them.

Now about Gibson headstock exploding......never stopped anyone here from buying one
Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydoo View Post
Guess it also depends where you live, you can get 3 JVM's for the price of 1 RK in england :NUTS, basically you've reeeeally gotta want a mesa over here to hand over that kind of dosh.
yeh, that probably has to do with the import tariffs American made amps have when they get imported to England. Us Americans don't have import tariffs on most things (which is why we don't have any more jobs left), so you can get a Mesa and a Marshall for roughly the same price.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 AM

I own a 900 dual reverb and everytime I play a RK I am jealous. I like the bottom end of the mesa a little more and the distortion is more to my taste.

At a store recently I played a SG though one and it just rocks pure and simple. I'm not a metal guy (much more into punk and hardcore) but I would call it face melting. It felt really tight with fast muffled parts and fat with open chords. It switches very cleany between them and can give a good punch. I'm not much of a lead player so I can't comment on that but as a rhythm player it was sweet.

Nowadays I play mostly jazz and blues clean through Fenders to practice - but as soon as I get a chance I'm getting a guitar with P90's (probably a collings 290 or a vintage LP Junior) and a RK. I need to practice more before I deserve it (and work until I can afford it).
Old 07-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Surprises me that with all the Mesa love, the Marshall is still pretty close in voting.

I think it would come down to what you hear. I've known for a long time that I don't hear what others like in Mesa's. I DO hear what I like in Marshall. Given a choice based on tone, it's Marshall hands down. Given a choice on build quality and road-worthyness, Mesa wins...NO CONTEST.

Now if I just liked the tone...
Old 07-03-2008, 05:59 PM

I just couldnt get around that wigly thing with the Marshall's knobs.

Dont get me wrong I like Marshalls just not the two mentioned in this thread.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesanatic View Post
I love Mesa amps. Check my screen name, but I know a couple of people that gig the JVM regularly with no problems so reliability wouldn't concern me especially if you're buying new.

JVM has typical Marshall lead and crunch tones, nice verb, and best Marshall clean.

I prefer the RK II because I like the Clean (Lonestar) and High Gain (Recto) tones better.

It's the mid gain crunch tones that will really be the deciding factor though. You have to play them, but either will work for your music and are super versatile.

Check the Roadster if you don't care about the tube switching on the RK. But, with the EL34's on Ch.2 Brit mode at 50 w. it does sound nice. Stiletto like I'd say.
Yeh, I am considering the Roadster too on the Mesa camp. And whatever I decide, I do plan on buying a brand spanking new amp. All the amps I've owned so far has been gotten used. I figure I might as well since I have the money for it.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:30 PM

I'm impressed with the JVM although I will probably never own one.
And,
I've been through a few Mesa's and they just don't do it for me all round.

I'm a British amp guy at heart so I'd have to go Marshall over Mesa.
Dealer Affiliation: Lark Guitars | www.larkguitars.com | www.facebook.com/larkguitars | www.instagram.com/larkguitars
Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvagoldbook View Post
Yeh, I am considering the Roadster too on the Mesa camp. And whatever I decide, I do plan on buying a brand spanking new amp. All the amps I've owned so far has been gotten used. I figure I might as well since I have the money for it.
I'm highly impressed with my roadster, in tone and build, cleans are fabulous on this amp. I blended it with a JVM last night thru an A/B, tone was godlike.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydoo View Post
I'm highly impressed with my roadster, in tone and build, cleans are fabulous on this amp. I blended it with a JVM last night thru an A/B, tone was godlike.
awesome. any way you can record it and post it?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Supporting Member