Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Guitars in General

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Played a 1966 Strat this weekend ...wow

Every time I travel around to a regional city I try to hit up every vintage store I can to try out the old Strats (I really plan to get one some day when I feel the time and price are right but thats another thread).

A couple times this spring I was in chicago and played several early 60's Strats (62-65) that blew my mind (as well as my eyeballs when I saw the tags).

For a while I thought about looking for a later 66-69 Strats to see how they comparred. Well I was in Louisville this weekend and played a 1966 strat that just blew my mind - it was the best playing and sounding strat I've found in a while - I'd say every bit as good if not better than the 62-65's I played and in better condition/less wear for the price.

The guitar did have some wear and to my eyes looked legit - One would obviously need to dissect it and have a couple other sets of eyes & appraisal. It really seemed like a winner accept the price - $15,000!

With a tag like that I didnt even bother asking any more about it, and this was probably the most expensive guitar in the shop by double.

What do you guys think is reasonable in todays market for a guitar like that with paint worn of the back and in pretty decent condition every where else. I think prices are still high and dont see a 66-68 going for more than 10G unless its custom color or mint (just saw a similar piece go on ebay for 9500 with good pictures but I wouldn't touch a vintage fender on ebay with a 1000ft pole).
Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

if it's a good one......than it's worth the more money IMO.
you still have to know the average worth of what you're buying , (so you don't get burned of course).
but if it's a guitar that will always make you happy everytime you pick it up, then it's most definitly worth some extra cake.
but then there's also the dilemma of if you ever have to sell it , will you get close to what you paid for it.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I was offered a ’66 for $6500 about three years ago...I knew that was a deal even then, but didn't buy it...bad move!

The line between CBS and pre-CBS isn't as sharp as some people think...there's very little difference between a ’66 and a ’64 except for the big headstock. Which, to my mind, looks just fine as long as it's got the transition logo...

Ry Cooder and Richard Thompson sound just fine playing ’66 Strats, not to mention Mr. Jimi...
Old 07-08-2008, 03:00 PM

Try a Bill Chapin Strat. You'll forget all about vintage Fenders. Really! I know brand loyalty, and the joy of having a REAL DEAL, kind of strat...or Tele, for that matter. But the market is just ridiculous. You can get a custom build for less than 5 G's, and it'll play & sound YES! even better than a vintage Fender. I've tried many VF's, and just one Chapin. No contest! Hands down, please. Just try one...you'll be ruined for life.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM

I went to the site and I don't see a strat: http://www.chapinguitars.com/models.html

Am I going to the wrong place?
Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Gold Supporting Member

MOst 66 are great, not much different from a late 65 small headstock really.
Most do have a slimmer neck, C shaped that most people find very comfy.
Not a minty one but a straight one with a couple of minor issues such as refret, tuners replaced and saddles gone should be around 9 to 13500 k ish .

www.facebook.com/vintagetonemag
Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

+1 on getting a custom build for a whole lot less money. A '66 Strat for $15k? That's nuts. If the economy really tanks, you could lose 50-60% on a guitar like that. I know you didn't ask, but if it were me, I'd buy a Suhr or equivalent boutique guitar for $3k to $4k, will be every bit as good.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
I went to the site and I don't see a strat: http://www.chapinguitars.com/models.html

Am I going to the wrong place?
Hmm, that is strange. I know he makes 'em, as there a few pix in this thread..
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=20468

Yeah, the Stratahoula. Perhaps he discontinued them. Wow! That would be a crying shame. There are picks in the above thread. Start on the last page, and go back to 122. I'm sure you could get him to make one, but it may take a while, as he is quite busy.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Gold Supporting Member

I bought an otherwise all original but refinned Dakota Red '66 4 years ago for 5k. I will never sell it. I have gigged it twice, but always debate whether it is worth the risk so I usually take my partscaster. Now I am thinking life is too short, and maybe I should just play it. It has the best neck pickup I have ever heard.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Gold Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cffluntouch View Post
I bought an otherwise all original but refinned Dakota Red '66 4 years ago for 5k. I will never sell it. I have gigged it twice, but always debate whether it is worth the risk so I usually take my partscaster. Now I am thinking life is too short, and maybe I should just play it. It has the best neck pickup I have ever heard.
That's what refin are for ! Play em as much as you want without losing 599.99 a scratch ! Life IS too short, play the hell out of it while you can !

www.facebook.com/vintagetonemag
Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cffluntouch View Post
Yup, play and enjoy it while you can...you can't take it with you and why let the guy who ends up with it after you're gone have all the fun . Life is too short for a B rig...my best gear always goes with me.
"Turn down the gain and play guitar, not amp"
Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Supporting Member

Man my '66 has been pretty much locked up for a few years, I know, I know... I pull it out every few months. It's the most amazing strat I've ever heard. I've never heard any Suhr or any new guitar sound like this. Has a real dry, woody, old tone, and turns heads just strumming a few chords, because of that old tone and people hear that instantly. Mine has a chunky U neck though and I've played all the finish off the neck years ago.

It's a player and has been refretted, but I'm too rough with my guitars and it'd really get trashed even more. Plus I haven't been gigging for a couple years, and I just use my CS strats but, this thread is really making me want to go pull that old strat out.

I enjoy teaching guitar and working at a guitar store.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 PM

I take my '65 to most non-jazz gigs. What's the point in having it if you're not going to play it? Insure it and enjoy it.

Good deals with these folks!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM

I have a 1965 strat and I will never part with it. Its light, resonant and sounds exactly the way a strat should sound. And with all the mojo that comes with old vintage strats I really believe that I play better when using it. BUT IMO you can buy new guitars thats just as good soundwise - Suhr, Tyler, Anderson... And that old 65 is now so expensive that I seldom bring it with me to ordinary gigs. Its not the kind of guitar that you leave on stage during breaks betwen sets. I bought mine in 1990 and I payed 2000 USD (that was in the good old days when the Super Strat with Floyd Rose ruled the world). Now you have to pay astronomical amounts of money to get your hands on a vintage strat. And there is a great risk that that vintage strat is in fact made up of a nix of old and new reliced parts. Or only new reliced parts.
Paul Trombetta uses a few clips I've made of the Minibone Fuzz - no other affiliation
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 AM

you guys have me thinking.

do you think this one is worth what the guy is asking?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/746779620.html

there were flowers also in hell and dálava both available at:
https://arambajakian.bandcamp.com/