Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Question Dr.Z Amp Speaker Replacement?

I'm thinking of replacing the Z 2X10's on my Maz38. What can you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I've purchased almost a couple dozen Tone Tubby Alnico Hemp Cone Speakers to run MAZ Juniors and MAZ Seniors.....both 10" & 12" in a wide variety of Z-Cabinets and Z-Combos.
To answer your specific 2x10" question.....the Alnico Tubbs really sound nice and warm and round without flubbing out throughout the volume range.
These speakers generally cut the volume a bit AND you can dial up the Cut Control a bit more than usual.
There has been a lot written over the years here about Tone Tubbies....being too dark, etc....definately not true with a MAZ Senior.
If you don't want Tone Tubbies, then I would DEFINATELY buy Celestion 10" Alnico GOLDS....
http://professional.celestion.com/gu...tail.asp?ID=33
Mark
Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Z 10's

Just curious, why the change or what don't you like about the Z 10's? I had a Z 4X10 a few years ago and sounded great with anything I hooked up to it, but really more than i'd ever need. I'm picking up a Z old style open back 2X10 cab today... looking forward to pairing it with my Z Stingray and Demeter. I think they're great sounding speakers.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-28-2008, 07:47 AM

It's hard to go wrong with webers.

I run my senior with his 12" blues and love em...great match.

The maz is versitile enough that you can run it with American or Brit style speakers and they both sound right.

What kind if tones are you trying to go for.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Supporting Member

I like Weber's British alnico speakers. I just replaced my Dr. Z 10" speakers in a Z convertible cabinet with Weber Blue Pups. I still have to break them in, but I think they are an improvement (for me anyway). Doc's 10" speakers are extremely efficient and sound great, but like any ceramic speaker they tend to give me ear fatigue after awhile. I've also got a Weber A1230 in a 1x12 Z convertible cabinet. Sounds like the Celestion G12H30, but with alnico smoothness.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 AM

I like 1 silver and 1 blue Weber 10 inch alnico with the Maz amps. It'll give you a bit more compression and a significant volume/headroom cut, but sounds very, very good.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 PM
2-Voice Guitar Junkie

I just got one of those. The guy who gave it to me (yes... gave...) had replaced the original speakers with the tubbies. The tubbies are so huge he had to move the fan, and I've only had the tubbies, but I can tell you that they sound outstanding to my ears! I also like what the Air Brake adds to the mix, too.
this tgp thread is the most tgp thread in the history of tgp threads.
Electric & Acoustic AT THE SAME TIME Electric & Acoustic with Variax Check out my music!