Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Best amp for cover band

It looks like I will be joining a cover band that does everything from classic rock to contemporary stuff. I am going to retire my '68 Deluxe Reverb and am looking for an amp that is loud enough and will work well with a Les Paul, Strat, and Tele, to do this kind of music. It must have enough clean headroom. I can use pedals for the overdrive if necessary, but it would be nice to find an amp with good overdrive too. I don't have a lot to spend. Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Used Peavey Rockmaster preamp and Tubeworks Mosvalve power amp.

Owner-www.rowycokustoms.com
Old 01-17-2009, 03:13 PM

Fuchs ODS
Old 01-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiergtr View Post
It looks like I will be joining a cover band that does everything from classic rock to contemporary stuff. I am going to retire my '68 Deluxe Reverb and am looking for an amp that is loud enough and will work well with a Les Paul, Strat, and Tele, to do this kind of music. It must have enough clean headroom. I can use pedals for the overdrive if necessary, but it would be nice to find an amp with good overdrive too. I don't have a lot to spend. Any suggestions?
Don't retire the Deluxe Reverb!!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Why retire the 68 DR ?

BTW Right now is a good time to buy a new DRRI. Just got a delivery on new one for $799.99 with free shipping. Online they currently go for $949, In February Fender will raise the price $200 on a DRRI.

BTW, I already have a blackfaced 72 DR. She's my # 1 Gigging amp. The DRRI is for leaving at Band Practice and to occassionally run in Stereo with the 72DR,
Old 01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I have to disagree on the DR... yes, great sounding, but it's only 23 watts. That doesn't qualify as having headroom, something the OP's looking for.

Also, Fuchs? The OP also said he doesn't have a lot to spend! The 50 watter will run $3300...

For $1000 less, the Egnater Mod 50 would be a killer choice. Several amps, in one amp.

The new Mark V should be hugely versatile too.

I can cover a lot of ground with my Rockerverb and a few pedals.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:52 PM

A good choice for a gigging cover band is the much-maligned Fender CyberTwin SE.

I've used one myself, and it gets the job done well in a cover band situation. Moderately sized, plenty powerful, some good to very good sounds to be had from it, two stereo XLR outputs on the back, and a fair amount of on-board effects.

For an all-in-one package, it's tough to beat.

Plus, you can buy one used for a song...I've seen them go for under $600 used.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM

Use your DR and mic it if you need "more"
Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks for input guys. I happened to get a my '68 Deluxe in pristine condition and it is still that way. I know, play the hell out of it and don't worry about condition but with the way these have appreciated I kind of want to keep it pristine. So, the thought is to get something that will do my nice guitars service without spending too much.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
I have to disagree on the DR... yes, great sounding, but it's only 23 watts. That doesn't qualify as having headroom, something the OP's looking for.

He never said that his 68 DR didn't have enough head room, he said he was retiring it.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Mesa Express 5:50, a lot of great overdrives available, and the 50 watt version has a ton of headroom. Plus they are not very expensive. A second option from Mesa (I can't believe I'm recommending Mesa's) is the Lone Star Classic.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:40 PM

Run the DR into a 4X12 with pedals. I use my silverface princeton through a 4X12 with pedals and it's loud enough and the cab gives enough low end Unless your doing really heavy stuff. I must say a single rec is a good rock cover band amp.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:56 PM

the egnator tourmaster if your looking for a lot of versitilty, $1600 for the combo, $2000 for the head and cabinet, love the countors on each channel to really tweak in the tone, and four channels for alot presets.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-...1652.gc?Mode=5

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-...8439.gc?Mode=5

was very blown away by this amp when I played it at GC a few months ago.

of course the mesa mark v just came out

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=492452

that is what I would get, I have a mark iv and love it.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:01 PM

You can do some nice 80s metal through this setup!!! +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stike View Post
Used Peavey Rockmaster preamp and Tubeworks Mosvalve power amp.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Depending on your budget, there are many options. I play in two cover bands, one 60's to current pop, rock, funk, disco, you name it, the other more bluesy SRV, etc.

Honestly, my most convenient option is to use a good clean amp with about 40-50 watts, and pedal or a multi-effects box. I get excellent tones from my GT Soul-o 45 or Hotrod Deluxe with a Pod X3 live in front. It takes a bit of tweaking, but it's so nice to hit one pedal button and go from an acoustic through the PA, to a cranked Deluxe Reveb for rhythm, to a screaming Plexi Marshall for the solo's. Or Peavey 5150 metal rhythm to a Bogner Ecstacy with Rat pedal,delay, and flange with the press of one foot switch. I'm ducking the flames right now, but it really does sound good, and there aren't any cork sniffers in the audience who care.

For the bluesy band, I'm using a Marshall JVM 410C which has 4 great channels, a great programmable foot switch, and I'm using a few pedals in the effects loop.

If you're in a one trick pony band, guitar>amp is great, but for us jack of all trades guys, flexibility is a must!