Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Buy a new 5ar4.JJ's are a lot better than the Sovtek that's in there.It will keep blowing fuses until you replace the rectifier tube.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterhack View Post
You have 99% likely lost the rectifier tube and probably the fuse that's in the pullout tray where you attach the mains plug. Check the one next to it as well.

Roll up your sleeves, because getting to the chassis is a drag. Replace the rectifier and fuse(s) with known good ones, then turn the standby switch to ON and never touch it again. The amp will be fine and will thank you for it.

A little more detail on this if you're curious:

Do Not Use Standby on an AC30: http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/vi...hp?f=2&t=75667
Vox AC30s: to use standby switch or not: http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboar...80999&p=799182
The Old Standby Switch Chestnut!: http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/vi...hp?f=2&t=81689
Thanks, man!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM

I just ordered one on eBay, will let you know as soon as I receive it.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Lightly Relic'd Moderator

Quote:
So, is the conclusion that I have blown rectifier tube?
Not necessarily blown, just crappy. I got the same amp, this is a known situation.

Your power fuse blew, which happens because of the crappy Rectifier GZ34 tube.

If you pull the Rect tube (the big one) I bet you see loose crap rattling around in there, which is bad, causes shorts, etc.

EASY FIX THOUGH.

Eurotubes has a full set of JJ's for that amp for under a hundred bucks.

Direct link:
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index...ategory_id=131

Or
  • go to http://eurotubes.com/
  • Click Shop Online;
  • On the left hand side look for "Full Retube™ kits for VOX amps." ;
  • Then click the first link for the CC amps.

Looks like it's $85 for the standard retube kit for the CC2.

Vox AC30CC Custom Classic Standard Retube
Price: 85.50
Description: Add some warmth and sparkle to your AC30 Custom Classic. A matched quad of JJ EL84's, a JJ GZ34 and three ECC83S's with one balanced ECC83S for the phase inverter. Just let me know in the comments section if your looking for max headroom, moderate or an early breakup so I can select a proper grade for the power tubes."
Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 PM

Hello Scott,
sounds interesting.... I already ordered my GZ34, I'll see if it fixes the issue. But a guy was talking me into changing all the tubes in my amp because Vox doesn't matched them up properly... 85$ isn't too bad.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

No harm in a retube, but that rectifier isn't "crappy" - it's kaput.

And if you checked the links I posted upthread, you'll understand that the tube didn't blow because it's "crappy." Rectifier tubes are pretty much commodities.

It blew because it's getting kicked in the belly every time you flip the standby switch. Any rectifier tube you put in there will do the same in time.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Rectifier tube has not effect on tone right?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM

More feel...
Floor: GC-Pro + GCX, EB volume > Vox wah

www.youtube.com/thenervemusic
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Agreed on the feel. I used a 5Y3 in my old AC15TBX. Great feel with that.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Well, well...
I received my new JJ GZ34 today, I installed it in the amp and everything seemed to be ok, but it wasn't. The Standby swich light (the green one) wasn't lighting up. A little investigation revealed that the other fuse blew at some point during this whole sage.

I'll go get one (or more) at the store tomorrow and hopefully, it will fix everything.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I take it there are no Radio Shacks up there? Plenty of fuses there. Just for clarification, the Sovtek Rectifiers are sturdier than the JJs. I had a JJ in my AC30 for less than a year before it went bad. Popped in my old Sovtek (several years old) worked great. Bought a new Sovtek and put it in there and gave my old one to a bud who's JJ rec quit on him.

The only sure fire good Rec is a good NOS one -- built to last. But for new production -- Sovteks beat the JJs in the Rec department. I've spoken with several well known amp techs and they are in agreeance about the Sovtek recs.
good trans w/mojambo,bmused,figher53,iamspartacus,xgrip, mudslide, tonefordays,CWfurst,jokerjkny,mockoman,turtleheadb lues,trixterc,snyderman,operanonverba,slothjones,r yanceola, albinotwin, duaneallen,JZG,guitarist4u36,dual lead,aaronblues,goodhonk,boogiemink,hiwattbob,flum e,mj07,dbuchanan, many more...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM

Here we go guys... 3 fuses, a rectifier tube and I can now rock the casbah!

Thanks to all for the help, I really appreciated!
Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 PM

I know you fixed your problem, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Exact (and I mean exact) same problem happened to me. Luckily L&M gave me a one year warranty when I bought my AC30cc2x, and replaced the rectifier tube for me. I've also had the standby switch actually break on me (although I'm not using it anymore so I don't expect to run into that problem again) and now I'm hearing a rattle at low volumes and I'm thinking its something to do with the power tubes.

I blame this on globalism and VOX moving their factories to China, "under Vox's supervision". They've been putting out shoddy products ever since. Even their handwired versions are made in China. I'm a big supporter of buying local (N.A.) products, and trying not to support companies that move production to foreign companies where labour laws are lax, but I bought the AC30 anyways. Its great tone for the money, but I had to trade some of my integrity to get it. Why oh why must even music companies succomb to the temptation of the race to the bottom?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrode View Post
I know you fixed your problem, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Exact (and I mean exact) same problem happened to me. Luckily L&M gave me a one year warranty when I bought my AC30cc2x, and replaced the rectifier tube for me. I've also had the standby switch actually break on me (although I'm not using it anymore so I don't expect to run into that problem again) and now I'm hearing a rattle at low volumes and I'm thinking its something to do with the power tubes.

I blame this on globalism and VOX moving their factories to China, "under Vox's supervision". They've been putting out shoddy products ever since. Even their handwired versions are made in China. I'm a big supporter of buying local (N.A.) products, and trying not to support companies that move production to foreign companies where labour laws are lax, but I bought the AC30 anyways. Its great tone for the money, but I had to trade some of my integrity to get it. Why oh why must even music companies succomb to the temptation of the race to the bottom?
This has nothing to do with globalism or china, and everything to do with the nature of the AC30 beast. The rectifier/standby issue predates the CC series.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Would a Weber Copper Cap solve this problem?....how would this affect the feel?

I love my AC30CC but am always leary of it crapping out at the wrong time.