Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Josh Homme 2001 pedalboard

Hi guys

Have you got some informations about the pedals used in 2001 by Josh homme ? I've some pics of his main pedalboard for lullabies/era vulgaris lives but I found nothing about the ones used in 2001 (rock am ring when Josh had his broken leg or Japan live with Dave Dave grohl)

I know this guy is very secret about his gear but maybe some of you have pics or something ?

I'm talking about this aera :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dTBOd4PEHs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW2AKkwJb_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25wRp...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hluW-hdrzKY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU972c5CkUE

thanks !
Old 05-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Sir Richard Pump-A-Loaf

If you watch the documentary, "Fuzz, The Sound that changed the world", http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000VUFJ14, the sound engineer from the "Songs for the Deaf" record talks about how the ZVEX Super Hard on was a key component of his tone of that record.

Here's the Pedal...
http://www.buyanalogman.com/ProductD...+On&Click=6577

Beyond that, don't much about his sound other than the Matton Guitars he uses just like the Wiggles. :-)

Last edited by taez555; 07-28-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I saw this documentary (good movie) and the problem he had with his broken Zvex Sho (you can see it on dailymotion I think).

Actually I talk about the main live gear in this aera (like the ones posted in my last posts) . The recording gear is impossible to find out, there're a lot of possibilities (pedal, amp, console, plug-in , vintage effects, addition of several tracks ect....)
Old 05-05-2009, 05:26 PM

Ι have a full folder on my pc dedicated to every possible detail that can be gathered about his equipment from the Kyuss era and later. It took me something like 4 years to complete it... always wanted to set up a site just for that, but I don't have any time for this...

His setup hasn't changed dramatically throughout the years, and the info that comes up in Google is pretty accurate. Too long to repeate it here. Although the details are more difficult to find, and I would fill at least 4 TGP pages! To answer just what you're asking and not start an endless and boring lecture, almost 100% of his pedal setup is the same. Changes are occasional but his live tone remains the same (with the necessary small changes from album to album to spice things up, although his studio setup is a completely different and much more complicated story).

https://twitter.com/bloody_sunday77
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior View Post
Ι have a full folder on my pc dedicated to every possible detail that can be gathered about his equipment from the Kyuss era and later. It took me something like 4 years to complete it... always wanted to set up a site just for that, but I don't have any time for this...

His setup hasn't changed dramatically throughout the years, and the info that comes up in Google is pretty accurate. Too long to repeate it here. Although the details are more difficult to find, and I would fill at least 4 TGP pages! To answer just what you're asking and not start an endless and boring lecture, almost 100% of his pedal setup is the same. Changes are occasional but his live tone remains the same (with the necessary small changes from album to album to spice things up, although his studio setup is a completely different and much more complicated story).

I've heard while in Kyuss he used a SD-1 and a Rotovibe. Is there anything else ? Also, did the Ampeg combos come after Kyuss ? Was it Marshalls all the way through ?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Silver Supporting Member

Some photos I found on the web

Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 AM

I also have those pics but they are not from 2001. They are from the Lullabies era, that's why I didn't put them up. But anyway, the concept and most of the pedals stay the same (although that's a completely unfair thing to say since he constantly changes his tone).

Josh started with every amp that he could afford. He went through Peaveys and typical JCM Marshalls (Wretch was recorded with Peaveys, or so they say - I wasn't there). He later moved on to Ampegs (V-2, V-4, VT-22 and VT-40). He played very loud, and when he didn't use the amps on their own, he probably used them in stereo, blending the crunch of the cranked V2 and the clean headroom of the V4).

He used a similar setup in Kyuss with a Tubeworks Mosvalve bass head acting as the power amp. In Kyuss, he almost always used huge Ampeg 8x10 bass cabs for their huge bass that was so essential to the sound. In QOTSA he changed to a more rock kind of tone and stopped using them so much.

I've heard that the VT-40 was called, back in the 70s, the "poor man's Super Reverb" and Josh made good use of its small rocker switches, dialing a Stones-y sound. In one of his old and extremely rare gear-related interviews to Guitarist, he had said he only uses overdrive pedals for the sustain they provide. They are also useful for the "sizzle" they bring in the bass and mid-heavy sound he had back then, and for torturing the tubes of those Fender-y amps even more.

Some of the ODs that have been used are the Boss OD-1 and the SD-1. As far as fuzzes go, the pedal that has been the most constant of them all is the Fulltone Ultimate Octave (after the 2nd album of Queens). The simplest trick, though, is just an SD1 or an Ultimate Octave into a cranked VT-40 (or, if you are completely deaf, a monstrous VT-22!!!) on a heavy humbucker guitar with treble and mid-rich hot pickups, playing with the neck pickup and the tone rolled off. It's my personal definition of the "stoner's woman tone" (although he would kill anyone that called him or his music "stoner").

Things get quite complicated, though, if I start discussing the parametric filters and EQs that he used, as well as alternative ways to get that sound, and besides, that would be off-topic...

Disclaimer: that's just info that I have gathered and tried to verify myself to the best of my abilities, but as always it might have inaccuracies due to the well known internet hear'n'say.

Last edited by lux_interior; 09-08-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: details
Old 05-06-2009, 05:57 AM

Hi lux_interior, and thanks for this good explanation. I see I'm not the only guy interessed by Homme's gear.

Quote:
His setup hasn't changed dramatically throughout the years,

almost 100% of his pedal setup is the same

You mean specific pedal or "type pedal" (like overdrive, fuzz)

The pedals are never the same on his pedalboard , he used a Boss Overdrive on SFTD tour and not for lullabies. It's the same case for the Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere or his SD1.

For me , His tone changed everytime. When i'm watching the 2003 Rock am ring (and all Song For The Deaf tour), his guitar tone is very horrible and agressive, like if he used his Dunlop Q zone everytime, with a lot of mids and highs whereas his Lullabies tone is very fat and fuzzy because of the Fulltone Ultimate octave (with hollow bodies guitars).

Without mentioning the Maestro Parametric filter, but for this one , I think he's using it since 2003 in live , we don't see it on SFTD tour (on pedalboard or on the top of his amp) but it can't be hidden behind his amp. (I must find a way to do one !)

It's the cool thing about this guy ( like Billy F. Gibbons) he has a huge gear collection and use it when he wants, transforming his sound everytime and saying nothing about that. And you have to find out it !

Can you share your "full folder" with us lux_interior in a zipfile hosted on rapidsahre or megaupload ?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 AM

The pedals in his pedalboard are usually the same in the roles they play, for instance an occasional OD might be switched for another (or for a different kind of boost such as the Fulltone Fat Boost v1). Sometimes, there are no ODs at all, but in my experience the pedal that has travelled with him the most (and that has been used on endless shows and recordings) is the Ultimate Octave.

The red Sib Echodrives (usually two, set up for different sounds) are always there, too, and between them the Ernie Ball volume pedal. He was also using the Way Huge Aqua Puss instead for a time. Another one that stays constant is the Boss EQ emphasizing the upper mids (or, according to his taste and live sound needs, some bass), as well as the Dunlop Q Zone and the Maestro Parametric Filter, joined in the beginning of the chain by the Clyde Deluxe. Occasionally, he prefers to put the VHT Valvulator in front of everything. Other pedals that are not being used anymore are the Lovetone Meatball and the Dunlop Rotovibe. Necessary note: he usually avoids turning on more than 3 pedals.

The Maestro Parametric filter has an overdrive option too, and as its owner I can tell you it can make quite a big difference in the sound, although I've seen pics of him using only the eq side with the medium q set around 400Hz.

I could upload my folder but it's a bit of chaos. And I haven't given up on the site idea yet... although I feel like I would betray Josh in some kind of sense, since I can understand how personal his sound can get.

Last edited by lux_interior; 09-10-2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: details
Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 PM

I know this thread is very old, but if you are still wondering..
In QOTSA's 2001 big day out performance, the video "quick and to the pointless", around 10 to 12 seconds in gives you a full look at his pedalboard.

Looks like a rotosphere, sd-1, some sort of a/b/switcher or effect loop, HBE UFO, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, a small delay (looks like a dd-3), and an ampeg reverb footswitch.

I have froze this over and over, and this is what I have come up with. This is fairly consistent with what he has used in the past. Basically, the HBE UFO is the biggest difference. Just a more aggressive Fulltone UO, not as smooth. Hope this helps guys!

Any other eras, just let me know, and I will help figure them out.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks, but nowadays there is no such mystery about it... lots of pictures exist, plus he is not that secretive anymore - as a matter of fact he has explained quite a lot of things himself in recent interviews. Maybe because he has such a great sense for his tone, and such a brilliant mind that he is always one step ahead!

It is possible it's the HBE pedal, although there is no way to tell if it really is a UFO. Your description of what it does is accurate, but the video is too blurry... (As an update to some of the above, his Klon and Matchless use one are most probably an urban legend, and there was no slaving going on when he was using the Ampegs or the Tubeworks).

Old 02-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenima_138 View Post
I know this thread is very old, but if you are still wondering..
In QOTSA's 2001 big day out performance, the video "quick and to the pointless", around 10 to 12 seconds in gives you a full look at his pedalboard.

Looks like a rotosphere, sd-1, some sort of a/b/switcher or effect loop, HBE UFO, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, a small delay (looks like a dd-3), and an ampeg reverb footswitch.

I have froze this over and over, and this is what I have come up with. This is fairly consistent with what he has used in the past. Basically, the HBE UFO is the biggest difference. Just a more aggressive Fulltone UO, not as smooth. Hope this helps guys!

Any other eras, just let me know, and I will help figure them out.

you must have some ****ing eagle eyes to see those pedals. i cant make most of them out.
Good Sale/Trade Deals with: leesa - somedayrockstar - ickygoo - 88mm - danceryandance - boldaslove1977 - JRestless - PanicProne - todd richman - mfgobbi - Tubbs - bennintexas - nevets5 - jonathansuhr- this1smyne - 3 Mile Stone - jole - corbs - Maven - fuzzyguitars - 229someday - Robapov - Abe - tmplanti

Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 PM

There used to be a website that had photos of his pedal boards from Kyuss up to Songs for the Deaf. It was a QOTSA gear website. Showed everything they were using. I did a search not too long ago and it was dead. I found a dead link from a forum and did an archive.org search and it was all still there.

I think Queens made them pull the site down from what I remember?

Anyway, from what I remember was live he used 3 Ampeg VT40's, one front mount with two top mounts, and one VT22. Pedal board was (sorry I don't remember the order) an Ernie Ball volume pedal, Boss SD-1, EH Microsynth, Phase 90. Nothing else. The balls to the wall tone comes from the rocker switches on the amps, them cranked, and the SD-1 pushing them into overdrive.

I read that the ZVEX SHO was used on Songs for the overdrive but it broke halfway through the sessions and replacements could not replicate the tone of the original. Live he went back to using the SD-1 for the tour. Hope that helps!

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group...roechochamber/
Old 02-24-2011, 04:24 PM

If you mean this: http://www.thefade.net/oldsite/band/equipment.html it is still online. It wasn't something special - merely reproducing other rumors and reports that were circulating around the net at that time, and missing many details, too. Τhat's the first time that I hear Queens made them take it down, and I don't think there could be any truth whatsoever in that. As for the Microsynth and Phase 90, I will have to look into my Josh's gear folders for details, but I don't remember him using them at all live.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Nope that's not the site.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group...roechochamber/