Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

The SLO lead channel cranked is so good it makes you put up with stuff like the shared EQ, sometimes goofy fx loop, etc. I gigged with mine last month running the first channel with the crunch on and gain up high, used it for rhythms and rolled back my volume for cleans. Worked pretty well, and then I'd kick in the lead channel for solos.

People were getting beat up and killed in front of my amp, but they were fine with it - they were being beaten with TONE!

BTW, friend of mine had a rockerverb 100. Nice amp, I just prefer the SLO lead channel. I'm even considering getting a head switcher and using a fender twin for cleans and an SLO 1/2 stack for crunch/leads.

Pete
Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Sorry to do this to ya.... but there it is. You'd learn sooner or later, and now is as good as ever.

They don't even solder the connections; it's all blade plugs and drop in assembly, so despite the high price they're about as assembly line as it can get.

Still, they sound good...

"tone is the bottom line" - Dr Tweedbucket

....... fine! I'm taking my Orange and going home

Got a Vette. The Joe Bean Band SMASH hits double Gray album.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

[QUOTE=Jim S;6159044]
I think the SLO has a similar clean tone but the overdriven tones of the SLO slay --decapitate, eviscerate, draw and quarter, rape & pillage-- the Orange.

QUOTE]

Most definatly, without a micro doubt, a cold harded fact.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Silver Supporting Member

Timely thread for me because I played my first Orange amps yesterday. I played a Tiny Terror combo and a Rockerverb 50 through a matching 2x12 cab with v30's.

The Tinny Terror was a great sounding fun amp. But IMHO, the RV50 was flat out amazing! Great clean tones. Probably the best on board reverb I've ever heard and the huge / fat overdriven tones were jaw dropping.

What a great amp. My only concerns are dependability and at $2,000.00 for the head I think it's a bit pricey for a PCB amp.
Sick (Swart content)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcrxQdAR00
Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Tweedbucket View Post
If the Soldano was such a great amp, I would have kept it.

but I always had the feeling the SLO was a bit hyped.
I'll never understand why guys can't just say another amp is great without putting something else down. The SLO is a great amp, and enough great players and great recorded tones in the last 20 years tell me it's not hyped.

Whether or not you feel the Orange is a better value, or just a better amp, why piss on the SLO?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Diver View Post
I'll never understand why guys can't just say another amp is great without putting something else down. The SLO is a great amp, and enough great players and great recorded tones in the last 20 years tell me it's not hyped.

Whether or not you feel the Orange is a better value, or just a better amp, why piss on the SLO?
Try reading my opening post in this thread. Who was pissing on anybody?

I am stoked at how good the Orange sounds and it reminded me of the SLO in certain ways, but got pissed on by all the SLO owners. That's ok, I expected it and expect anyone who pays that much for an amp will fight tooth and nail to defend it no matter what it sounds like.

To be fair, after I saw pics of the Orange guts, it's a major turn off even though it's a killer sounding amp. Both amps are seriously overpriced if that helps anything out.

Anyway, thanks, I love my Orange tone and hope the amp holds up even though it's build like crap inside. Thread over.

Got a Vette. The Joe Bean Band SMASH hits double Gray album.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:39 PM

I must say the SLO is on a very short list of mine. I currently use an Egnater EG5 for lead work with a VHT 2502 power amp with 6L6 tubes. It is unbelievable tone. I don't know why I still look when I am happy. Still I keep hearing about the SLO lead sound so I am curious. I tried the other Soldano head (the Avenger) Ugh was I disappointed. I must say that I tried the Rockerverb as well and it was not for me. The drive was fine but the bass response just felt loose to me. I dialed and dialed and tried different cabs but it was a no go for me.