Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Amps and Cabs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Bugera V-22 review

OK, I've had this for almost two weeks so I thought I would give a report on what I think is a very nice amplifier for the unheard of price of 349.00.

For starters the amp is two channels 22 watts with dual EL 84's running class AB Push Pull. The included footswitch controls a digital reverb and channel selection.There is a handy bias adjustment on the bottom of the chassis and I needed it because out of the box it was really cooking the Bugera branded EL 84's. Once that was throttled back, the amp became more touch sensitive, and cleaned up with the guitars volume control very easily regardless of channel or amount of gain. Nice.

Clean channel- Master and Gain set low the amp gives a very warm tone reminiscent of an AC 15. Depending on which input I'm using (Normal or Bright) I can dial in shimmery open chords that work well for Blues and Jazz. Increasing the gain adds loads of harmonic richness that you just dont expect from an amp of this price. I had a blast using the gain about 3/4 and the Volume cranked. Varying levels of guitar volume brought out lots of usable country and blues tones that sound really sweet to my ears. I would be happy if the amp did just this but there is another channel to play around with.

Dirty Channel- Right off the bat what I like about this channel is that if the gain is set under 1/2 it's a perfect step up from the clean channel. Notes are more fat,the mids really beef up but it doesnt get shrill or tinny.(or sound like a trumpet) There is a boost button that sadly isnt footswitchable, but I dont even use it unless I'm playing at bedroom levels. There is also a Pentode/Trode switch that I use when playing quieter as that helps maintain good tone without getting thin.
Turning the gain knob past 1/2 the amp has a lot of gain on tap that I dont particularly care for. It's a bit buzzy and lacks definition. There is plenty of beef and grind at 1/2 and under. At these levels it's a classic rock machine that cranks out Rev. Billy G to Malcom Young with ease. Great power tube distortion with just the right amount of preamp grind.

After a few days I took out the pretty good stock greenback style speaker and installed my favorite Hellatone 60. The stocker will lose definition at cranked levels but it would be perfect in a Blues Jr. or low watt tweed amp. The Hellatone delivers a nice low end, and handles high volume levels easily.

Lastly I retubed with a set of JJ's. I asked Bob at Eurotubes for a high headroom set of preamp tubes and he delivered. Right off the bat I had improved note definition, more headroom, and sweeter tone overall.

I'm impressed with the build quality of this amp. the back speaker baffles are all t-nutted into the cabinet, the knobs turn with a smooth tensioned feel that isnt loose at all, and the wiring inside the chassis is tidy and clean. I hope it holds up reliability-wise as I am counting on this as my new gig amp. Imagine that, i unloaded a couple of higher dollar amps and picked up one of these for 349.00.
It's pretty amazing what you can get in a tube amp these days for not much money.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Another band practice and I'm really digging the harmonics on this thing when it's wicked up. Going through Tush I nailed that magical Les Paul Marshall tone with my Les Paul. This thing can sound like a Vox,2061x,and 1974x all with a bit of EQ and gain changes. Going into a closed back 2x12 sounds wicked. Loads of tight bottom end, and aggressive mids.
Bugera is going to sell a ton of these.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Silver Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

How about a pic of your setup, Les Paul & Bugera.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...&postcount=256
Old 08-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMan View Post
How about a pic of your setup, Les Paul & Bugera.
Last time I tried to post a pic I dont think I had enough posts or something. It wouldnt show. I'll try again when I get the camera out.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM

Here you go. MY LP is a Voxton made in the early 70's I believe and sure plays great. MIM Tele with Lollars, and Am Strat with Lollars and JB Jr. in the bridge.I also have a Xaviere LP that is a good player too.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:41 PM

Glad the V5 was an anomaly. The common man needs this New Fender in these hard times. Leo always built for quality, but also affordability. $1200 ain't affordable. $349 leaves some for food, gas, and beer.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

So all said and done what did it cost with the tube and speaker upgrades? Do you think it sounds better than a Crate Vintage Club 20 or the Peavey 30?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM

My Crate VC 20 I owned had one good sound. Saturated with not much headroom. The V-22 has a better clean channel that a Cl 30 and the overdrive is much better. I dont notice a huge diff with the tube upgrade but the Hellatone sounds much better than the stocker.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 AM

I just saw a V22 at GC the other day. It's a nice looking amp in person. I wondered how it compared to the C30, too. Sounds like it's a real winner. Can you get much volume with clean headroom?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:59 AM

The amp is very loud and I can get good sparkly funk tones by keeping the gain low and volume fairly high. Backing off the guitars volume helps too. They are EL 84's though and do impart character when increasing the volume. I would say almost as good as an AC 15cc on the clean channel.

This morning I started messing around with the triode switch. I like it more now. Cranked up on the clean channel it has a ratty tweed vibe. Great for blues playing. More wooly and darker than the Pentode setting.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Well, I tried out a V22 at GC today. I like it Going back tomorrow to strike a deal, I think. It's marked to $319 for the Labor Day sale, plus the salesman said they'd price match and Music123 has a 20% off sale...

Might be a NAD tomorrow!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
Well, I tried out a V22 at GC today. I like it Going back tomorrow to strike a deal, I think. It's marked to $319 for the Labor Day sale, plus the salesman said they'd price match and Music123 has a 20% off sale...

Might be a NAD tomorrow!
Nice. I'm really liking mine still. It's a real bargain.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:29 AM

I managed to find one in a GC earlier this week. I really liked what I heard (in the store). If I look into a new bigger amp, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

"Thanks Ken" - TGP
Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM

I did the deal New Bugera V22 sitting in my music room as we speak!

I agree with griz's description 98%! Actually, the stock speaker in mine is sounding really nice. Everything else he said holds true of this one as well. Cleans are really nice, much better than the cleans on a C30, which is my best point of reference for amp's I've owned. The OD channel was a little buzzy I thought, but to be truthful I hadn't tried it as griz describes. In fact, I haven't really toyed with the OD channel much at all. I really love the clean channel.

I really like the Boost button for my style. It's a mid boost available for both channels and it really fills out the sound a lot. Not in a tubby way but in a usable and musical way. Between that and the Presence control I can get a great variety of sounds from the clean channel. I'm in a surf/early '60s/Brit Invasion band and the clean channel rules for those sounds with a Tele and a Strat although I do wish the Reverb had more tail to it for my surf stuff. The depth and tone are way better than many amps, but it's a short dwell. I've yet to run my LPs through it though. I'll bet it does pull off the classic rock stuff with ease.

Well, back to the music room! I just took a breather to grab a beer and check in. It's crunch time now bros!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Oh, I forgot the best part. As I mentioned previously, the amp is marked down to $319 for the weekend sale. I had a 10% coupon which they would take off the sale price and I asked about the price matching policy since Music123 is giving a 20% discount this weekend. They would match the 20% but not off the sale price. I was ready to do the 10% off when the managers said I you sign up for the Players Reward thing I could get 15% off the sale price. Took it home for $270
Closed Thread