Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear > Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

fuzz pedal bias

So what is the actual difference if a silicon fuzz is biased at let's say 3 volts vs being biased at 4.5v or higher? Does it get fuzzier and woollier the higher the voltage? Appreciate any info.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

With fuzz faces, lowering the bias makes the fuzz more compressed, and fuzzier basically, and usually has a buzzier sound. However, then it won't clean up as well, and the overall output goes down a bit. With the bias on the higher side, the fuzz is cleaner overall, and cleans up much more dramatically. Also makes overall output louder.
Good Deals with: Mr. Kite, pepperedmoth, digiTED, Reverb, lp144, Dr. Sleepy, standingzero, GTechNick, jrh60, Kenny Blue, Stratm69, joshuathomasmurty, Charmless, jeffmo, succor, Fastermouse, CaptainAwesome, eldanko, Tone Meister, echodeluxe, ooofest, smazz, la noise, Invisible Man, JoeBob, ipodjunky, traynor_garnet, fenix899, Texas_Blues, Empros, Braciola, jerryfan6, otherone, matt5150, Doveshua, triggercut, chatmatt
Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned

When you get the bias low enough, it will get to the point where the transistor becomes gated and will shut off when there is no signal. That's when it starts to get that spitty kind of texture to the tone.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXXA View Post
With fuzz faces, lowering the bias makes the fuzz more compressed, and fuzzier basically, and usually has a buzzier sound. However, then it won't clean up as well, and the overall output goes down a bit. With the bias on the higher side, the fuzz is cleaner overall, and cleans up much more dramatically. Also makes overall output louder.

Thanks. So I assume it's not a good idea to go below 3volts?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I mean, you can try anything, but as luckett said, at some point it will be starved to the point of not making much sound. I do like it when it gates a little though
Good Deals with: Mr. Kite, pepperedmoth, digiTED, Reverb, lp144, Dr. Sleepy, standingzero, GTechNick, jrh60, Kenny Blue, Stratm69, joshuathomasmurty, Charmless, jeffmo, succor, Fastermouse, CaptainAwesome, eldanko, Tone Meister, echodeluxe, ooofest, smazz, la noise, Invisible Man, JoeBob, ipodjunky, traynor_garnet, fenix899, Texas_Blues, Empros, Braciola, jerryfan6, otherone, matt5150, Doveshua, triggercut, chatmatt
Old 01-08-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXXA View Post
I mean, you can try anything, but as luckett said, at some point it will be starved to the point of not making much sound. I do like it when it gates a little though
So why, like on Dunlop's/James Santiago's demo of the EJ, Hendrix, basic red JDF2 and Bonamassa, does the Hendrix w/ BC108's (bias at around 6v) in it sound about as fuzzy as the EJ with BC183's ( biased at around 3v)? Fuzzes are sure more complicated than I ever thought they would be.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Banned

Because Q1 in both of them are going to be biased to 1.2V
Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltel24 View Post
Fuzzes are sure more complicated than I ever thought they would be.
Quite true. And people often wonder aloud why something with so few parts should cost so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.Fuzz View Post
Sounds like having sex while eating a greasy cheeseburger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty2strat View Post
happiness is a warm marshall ...Lennon got it wrong
Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Hartman BC108 with an external bias, I really like being able to get different textures with the bias control, full on it is smooths it out, sounds gainier, rolled back it is crunchier and rolling it all the way back it gets almost gated and sick sounding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr@tchy View Post
Haha, by all means have your stroke it Peterson party, it's what I want too. Cracks my mind up.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltel24 View Post
So why, like on Dunlop's/James Santiago's demo of the EJ, Hendrix, basic red JDF2 and Bonamassa, does the Hendrix w/ BC108's (bias at around 6v) in it sound about as fuzzy as the EJ with BC183's ( biased at around 3v)? Fuzzes are sure more complicated than I ever thought they would be.
Because it's James. He's a magician.